News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Is death negative?

Started by Contemporary Protestant, February 22, 2015, 04:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Contemporary Protestant

Is death a bad thing? I have mourned the loss of friends, family, and mentors. But is death negative.

The premise being death is ceasing to exist; silence, peace, the end, or whatever you want to call it.

Hijiri Byakuren

It's an inevitability that you have to make peace with.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Contemporary Protestant

it is inevitable but is it a bad thing or a good thing, or is death just happen and holds no connotation

dtq123

What is better than an eternal state of repose where even your dreams can hurt you.

It is a release where you can disappear without remorse.

Death isn't negative, it simply is a portal to the unknown.

For better or for worse.
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

stromboli

It is exactly whatever connotation you attach to it. My sister's death was a blessing for many reasons. My brother's was not for many reasons.

Contemporary Protestant

Im sorry for your loss mate

dtq123, interesting take

Mermaid

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on February 22, 2015, 04:42:54 PM
it is inevitable but is it a bad thing or a good thing, or is death just happen and holds no connotation
Yes, it's negative for the people who love the person who died. Very negative. Depending on how someone dies, it can be pretty damn negative for the person in question, too. As it is now, I have no desire to die, so if I knew I was going to die, I would not be terribly happy about it.

Biologically, it's negative as well. Organisms evolve so that our first instinct is self-preservation.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Solitary

Right now in  my life, death is a positive. I'm talking about a personal death, not ones loved ones. Life is consciousness existence and experience. and death is no consciousness and experience in my opinion, but the finality is problematic. We are fucked!  :eek: :pidu: Live, and there is no room for death, but there may be a lot of pain and suffering. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Shiranu

Is life a good thing or a bad thing?

It simply is. What you do, and what the world does to you, is what determines if it is "good" or "bad"... as well as your own personal interpretation of those two concepts.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

PickelledEggs

What Shiranu said. Sometimes things don't have to necessarily be good or bad. Somethings just happen.

SGOS

I'm with the last two posts above.  Death is neither good or bad.  I'm talking about the state of matter that is dead, or as the person who is in that state.  However, situations leading to that state are subject to personal interpretation and circumstances involved.  But being dead is probably the least consequential thing a sentient being experiences.  It's the experience of no experience.

SNP1

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on February 22, 2015, 04:24:47 PM
Is death a bad thing? I have mourned the loss of friends, family, and mentors. But is death negative.

The premise being death is ceasing to exist; silence, peace, the end, or whatever you want to call it.

Define negative.
What do you mean by "bad thing"?
"My only agenda, if one can call it that, is the pursuit of truth" ~AoSS

Contemporary Protestant

not positive and not neutral

SNP1

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on February 22, 2015, 10:19:44 PM
not positive and not neutral

Okay, and what is "positive" and what is "neutral"?
"My only agenda, if one can call it that, is the pursuit of truth" ~AoSS

Contemporary Protestant

positive is uplifting/good, and neutral may as well be nothing

what are you getting at? this isn't a debate, its a question

I am personally indifferent to the idea of no afterlife because i will probably know what that is like, because if there is no afterlife, I can't process it because I don't exist anymore