Author Topic: Is death negative?  (Read 5542 times)

Is death negative?
« on: February 22, 2015, 04:24:47 PM »
Is death a bad thing? I have mourned the loss of friends, family, and mentors. But is death negative.

The premise being death is ceasing to exist; silence, peace, the end, or whatever you want to call it.

Offline Hijiri Byakuren

• ULC Minister, Honorary Doctor of Divinity
  • That's DOCTOR Hijiri, to you!
    • The Lore Of Samsara
Re: Is death negative?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 04:35:54 PM »
It's an inevitability that you have to make peace with.

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 04:42:54 PM »
it is inevitable but is it a bad thing or a good thing, or is death just happen and holds no connotation

Offline dtq123

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 05:34:37 PM »
What is better than an eternal state of repose where even your dreams can hurt you.

It is a release where you can disappear without remorse.

Death isn't negative, it simply is a portal to the unknown.

For better or for worse.
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 05:37:33 PM »
It is exactly whatever connotation you attach to it. My sister's death was a blessing for many reasons. My brother's was not for many reasons.

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 05:38:21 PM »
Im sorry for your loss mate

dtq123, interesting take

Offline Mermaid

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 05:55:30 PM »
it is inevitable but is it a bad thing or a good thing, or is death just happen and holds no connotation
Yes, it's negative for the people who love the person who died. Very negative. Depending on how someone dies, it can be pretty damn negative for the person in question, too. As it is now, I have no desire to die, so if I knew I was going to die, I would not be terribly happy about it.

Biologically, it's negative as well. Organisms evolve so that our first instinct is self-preservation.
We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came.

John F. Kennedy

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 06:07:58 PM »
Right now in  my life, death is a positive. I'm talking about a personal death, not ones loved ones. Life is consciousness existence and experience. and death is no consciousness and experience in my opinion, but the finality is problematic. We are fucked!  :eek: :pidu: Live, and there is no room for death, but there may be a lot of pain and suffering. Solitary
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 02:16:19 PM by Solitary »
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Online Shiranu

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 06:47:07 PM »

Is life a good thing or a bad thing?

It simply is. What you do, and what the world does to you, is what determines if it is "good" or "bad"... as well as your own personal interpretation of those two concepts.
Om Mani Padme Hum

Offline PickelledEggs

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 07:26:10 PM »
What Shiranu said. Sometimes things don't have to necessarily be good or bad. Somethings just happen.
"Tell Pilate to release the files!!!" - Bill Hicks
"I have an open mind, but not so open that my brains will fall out" -James Randi
"One who truly hates himself cannot love, he cannot place his trust in another." - NGE

Offline SGOS

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2015, 07:50:03 PM »
I'm with the last two posts above.  Death is neither good or bad.  I'm talking about the state of matter that is dead, or as the person who is in that state.  However, situations leading to that state are subject to personal interpretation and circumstances involved.  But being dead is probably the least consequential thing a sentient being experiences.  It's the experience of no experience.

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2015, 09:57:07 PM »
Is death a bad thing? I have mourned the loss of friends, family, and mentors. But is death negative.

The premise being death is ceasing to exist; silence, peace, the end, or whatever you want to call it.

Define negative.
What do you mean by "bad thing"?
"My only agenda, if one can call it that, is the pursuit of truth" ~AoSS

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2015, 10:19:44 PM »
not positive and not neutral

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2015, 11:29:12 PM »
not positive and not neutral

Okay, and what is "positive" and what is "neutral"?
"My only agenda, if one can call it that, is the pursuit of truth" ~AoSS

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2015, 11:31:34 PM »
positive is uplifting/good, and neutral may as well be nothing

what are you getting at? this isn't a debate, its a question

I am personally indifferent to the idea of no afterlife because i will probably know what that is like, because if there is no afterlife, I can't process it because I don't exist anymore