Maybe Not ALL Christian Organizations are Bad...

Started by Solomon Zorn, February 20, 2015, 09:20:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solomon Zorn

If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

stromboli

Right. see my post on why religion will be around for a long time. they be morphing to stay relevant with the times.

Solitary

Walker said, "The best government can do is to get out of religion's way; the worst it can do is to get behind and push. The present constitutional language requires the former; the proposed amendments would allow the latter. Persons of faith who treasure religious liberty don't need or want an amendment."

Am I reading this right? They want the government to not get in the way of religion like it is now to stay. How about when religion wants to say what should be allowed in public schools---Creationism, and organized prayer? Religious groups are the ones that wanted separation of State and church so the State would stay out of their business. Now that other religious groups, like Muslims, want the same privileges the Christians have, it has come back to bite them, and the new proposed amendment would allow Muslims to shove their religion down their throats with State support that they are afraid Satan our president would allow. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: stromboli on February 20, 2015, 10:19:12 AM
Right. see my post on why religion will be around for a long time. they be morphing to stay relevant with the times.
You're right about that, Strom, but this organization has been around for about 75 years. I think it's been the point of view of a lot of Baptists going back to the Danbury Baptist Association. They supported the abolition of any laws in their state that showed support for any established religion, and President Thomas Jefferson agreed with them in his great "wall of separation" letter.

stromboli

Religion has been around for thousands of years. They have been moving to stay alive from day one. Used to be the earth was the center of the universe, etc. 75 years is a wink of time by comparison. And I'm pretty sure that 75 years ago the issue was racism and not gay rights. Granted it might be a good organization, but they are just the most liberal part of an otherwise conservative ideology.

And I sincerely hope they can work to offset the damage done by the Assemblies of God and other fundie sects.

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: stromboli on February 20, 2015, 01:37:58 PM
Granted it might be a good organization, but they are just the most liberal part of an otherwise conservative ideology.
Yeah, I was baptized in the Southern Baptist Church, back in 1984. They were very conservative.

Quote from: stromboli on February 20, 2015, 01:37:58 PM
And I sincerely hope they can work to offset the damage done by the Assemblies of God and other fundie sects.
I don't think they can do much against the well funded religious right, who are manipulated  and completely corrupt. But they might show, to those still undecided about the separation of church and state, that you don't have to impose your brand of Christianity on others, in order to be a good Christian.

gussy

It would have been nice if they had won out against the Robertson/Falwell crowd but it's a little late for that.  A lot more money by being involved in politics I guess. 

On Stom's note, the Southern Baptist Convention has gone at great lengths to repudiate their past, much like the Mormons.  I would love to be around in 100 years to see what current positions that they will be forced to hide from.