News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The Bibile on the History Channel

Started by Alaric I, March 03, 2013, 06:05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mykcob4

Quote from: "Alaric I"Who will be watching?  I don't have the opportunity to wtch it as it airs so I will have to download it later, just want to check out what it's about.  It has all my Christian friends stoked.
And that is exactly what it is suppose to do....stoke the believers. Take any one of those folklore myths and apply good science and anthropology studies to it and they just don't add up. It is propagamda rolled into a form of entertainment and called of all things "HISTORY!"
It makes me sick that people take the best learning tool ever invented (the television) and put utter rubbish like 'The Bible' on it.
'The History Channel' should be forced to change it's moniker to the 'Lying Propaganda Channel', oh, right, that is reserved for FOX!

Aroura33

Ok, I'm watching it while doing some chores, and so far it totally whitewashing the bad parts of course.  Lot didn't offer his 2 virgin daughters to the crowd of rapists.  And the angels totally did dual wielding Kuing Fu to those bad dudes in Sodom!!  then, Lots daughters of course do not sleep with Lot after they escape.

Very true to the bible and realistic so far /NOT.  :Hangman:

I'm sure all the Christians watching this will think this is totally accurate, since most of them don't seem to know about the crazy shit in there, or if they do they edit it out in their heads, just like this stupid show is editing it out.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

stromboli

The fact that it is showing on the history channel is repugnant. It is not history in any way and should not be construed as such.

The Skeletal Atheist

The History Channel (as well as the Discovery Channel and other such channels), for the most part, is a fucking joke now.

That being said, I may watch this. My only reason is for the entertainment value though. History Channel programs focusing on religion have good entertainment value as long as you maintain suspension of disbelief. It's almost like watching a program on ancient Greek or Roman mythology.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

GurrenLagann

I haven't tried sitting through a whole History Channel program since I watched a few episodes of Ancient Aliens awhile back.... a whopping series of arguments from ignorance from a guy with the craziest hairstyle. xD

I can only imagine this to be at best silly. "And here we have proof that Noah's Ark COULD have held all of Earth's land species!!11"
Which means that to me the offer of certainty, the offer of complete security, the offer of an impermeable faith that can\'t give way, is the offer of something not worth having.
[...]
Take the risk of thinking for yourself. Much more happiness, truth, beauty & wisdom, will come to you that way.
-Christopher Hitchens

Zatoichi

Giorgio Tsoukalos...

That douchebag is just on there trying to sell more copies of his stupid magazine... and apparently trolling for a hairspray spokes-model deal!
"If the thought of something makes me giggle for longer than 15 seconds, I am to assume that I am not allowed to do it." ~Skippy's List

ApostateLois

This just proves that the History Channel has NOTHING to do with history anymore. They used to do good shows involving actual historical events that had evidence to back them up. Now, more often than not, they have programs about aliens, ghosts, ESP,  biblical myths, and other crap that should be getting no air time at all, except on the comedy networks. Better yet, there should be a Mythology, Folklore, and Crankery Network just for bullshit like this, so that the History Channel won't have an excuse for showing it.

I'm looking at their TV schedule page now, and this is what is showing:

UFO Hunters. They have a whole series of these, including The NASA Files, Area 51 Revealed, and Alien Contact.

Ancient Aliens. Another series, with fascinating titles such as Aliens and Dinosaurs, The Mystery of Puma Punku, and Strange Abductions.

Monster Quest. Bigfoot, Chupacabra, the Loch Ness Monster, etc. More bullshit by, and for, people with no imagination.

Modern Marvels. This isn't history, it's current events; but it is at least interesting, with shows about tuna fishing, combat food technology, and America's "supersize culture." These are issues that have relevance to real human beings trying to live in the real world. That other shit I might watch for the lulz, but it doesn't belong on the History Channel.
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "sasuke"As Minimalist from the Archives put it:
QuoteI've given up on the History Channel....in much the same way as they have given up on History.

here here !
Shouldn't the *HISTORY* channel be about....... I dunno........... history?
 :shock:  :shock:
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "Aroura33"Ok, I'm watching it while doing some chores, and so far it totally whitewashing the bad parts of course.  Lot didn't offer his 2 virgin daughters to the crowd of rapists.  And the angels totally did dual wielding Kuing Fu to those bad dudes in Sodom!!  then, Lots daughters of course do not sleep with Lot after they escape.

Very true to the bible and realistic so far /NOT.  :Hangman:

I'm sure all the Christians watching this will think this is totally accurate, since most of them don't seem to know about the crazy shit in there, or if they do they edit it out in their heads, just like this stupid show is editing it out.

There was an interview today on one of the morning-news stations........  something about how excited they were about adding all the special effects.   In the background (while making a fire in the fireplace/stove)  I began to laugh uncontrollably and my poor hubby said "What the fuck is wrong with you?"  to which  I answered "They're adding lots of special effects to the Bible story on the History channel....  Get it? Hollywood ADDED special effects??"   He just handed me my coffee, patted me on the head and laughed under his breath.

WitchSabrina

Farroc

As long as they don't fuck with PBS, I don't care.
"The idea of getting a, y\'know, syringe full of heroin and shooting it in the vein under my cock right now seems like almost a productive act." -Bill Hicks

The Dude

I know a guy who works at HISTORY, and I've told him that a lot of people don't really see them as "History" anymore because their new shows aren't exactly history. But if you think about it, their main show is Pawn Stars. And that has a lot of history in it because of the items they bring in.

My buddy told me the one time they tried just going straight history for a while with the WWII tapes and the documentaries, their rival networks blasted them calling them the "Hitler Channel". So they're really doing the best they can. It's a ratings game.

ApostateLois

Sorry, but shows about imaginary monsters, ESP, and UFOs are only there to cater to the stupidest people in their audience. That's not doing their best, that's taking the easiest way out.
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

BarkAtTheMoon

Quote from: "Aroura33"Considering is is pretty much written by and financed by Mark Burnett (JESUSFFREAK), I'm sure it will be a exactly what Christians want to see and hear, not anything controversial from the actual bible.  
I never knew Mark Burnett was a Jesus freak. It does explain why there's been at least one proselytizing douchebag on Survivor most seasons, though. A few of the seasons it's gotten so bad it's embarrassing.
"When you landed on the moon, that was the point when God should have come up and said hello. Because if you invent some creatures and you put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, then you fucking turn up and say, 'Well done.' It's just a polite thing to do." - Eddie Izzard

The Dude

Quote from: "ApostateLois"Sorry, but shows about imaginary monsters, ESP, and UFOs are only there to cater to the stupidest people in their audience. That's not doing their best, that's taking the easiest way out.

I see American Pickers, Pawn Stars, and that Fifty States show on way more than I do any UFO shows.