Answering no to "Are you a Muslim?" gets two men stabbed in Detroit.

Started by Valigarmander, February 19, 2015, 02:39:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valigarmander

http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/17/us/detroit-bus-stop-stabbings/
Quote(CNN)The stabbings of two people at a Detroit-area bus stop began with what police said was a simple question: Are you Muslim?

Terrence Lavaron Thomas, 39, was arraigned Tuesday on assault with intent to murder, drug possession and weapons charges in the Saturday night bus shelter stabbings in Southfield, Michigan.

One of the victims, a male in his 50s, was stabbed five times in the face and neck and three times in the upper back, Southfield Police Chief Eric Hawkins said. The other victim, also a man in his 50s, was stabbed in the hand when he tried to intervene in the assault.

The two men, whose injuries were not life threatening, were treated for their injuries and released, police said. The three men did not know one another.

Hawkins said Thomas asked a group of people waiting for a bus whether they were Muslim.

When two people responded that they were not, Hawkins said, Thomas allegedly "became upset by that answer, saying he was Muslim and it was not acceptable that they were not."

The Federal Bureau of Investigation was involved in the investigation of possible hate crimes, Hawkins said.

At court Tuesday, Bond for Thomas was set at $1 million. His next court appearance is on March 4.

It was unclear whether Thomas has an attorney.

Shiranu

Sounds like a nutjob that had about as much to do with being a Muslim as that atheist guy murdered because he was an atheist. This guy hasn't even adopted an Arabic name...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Valigarmander

Quote from: Shiranu on February 19, 2015, 03:45:07 PM
Sounds like a nutjob that had about as much to do with being a Muslim as that atheist guy murdered because he was an atheist. This guy hasn't even adopted an Arabic name...
Did Craig Hicks ask his victims if they believe in a god?

And I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but not all Muslims adopt Arabic names.

Shiranu

Quote from: Valigarmander on February 19, 2015, 06:45:51 PM
Did Craig Hicks ask his victims if they believe in a god?

And I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but not all Muslims adopt Arabic names.

No, but the point still stands; the guy sounded like a fucking nutjob, especially when you add in the other charges against him. Or maybe Islam's ban on drugs actually means you should be in possession of drugs...

And no, they dont. But it makes it much harder to portray this guy as a devout Muslim if he has kept his Christian name and is in possession of narcotics, does it not?
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hijiri Byakuren

Nope, not having this argument. Instead, I have a very important question to ask:

[spoiler]Did he stab them in the butt?

[/spoiler]
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

stromboli

That is why I like this forum. We ask the questions nobody else dares to ask. And answer them. Occasionally.

Jason78

Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Valigarmander

Quote from: Shiranu on February 19, 2015, 07:02:50 PM
No, but the point still stands; the guy sounded like a fucking nutjob, especially when you add in the other charges against him. Or maybe Islam's ban on drugs actually means you should be in possession of drugs...

And no, they dont. But it makes it much harder to portray this guy as a devout Muslim if he has kept his Christian name and is in possession of narcotics, does it not?
Your arguments don't make any sense. Newt Gingrich is an adulterer. Adultery is forbidden in every branch of Christianity. Therefore, Gingrich must not be a devout Christian and his various attacks on gay rights and the separation between church and state not stem from his Christian beliefs?

Shiranu

Quote from: Valigarmander on February 19, 2015, 08:23:58 PM
Your arguments don't make any sense. Newt Gingrich is an adulterer. Adultery is forbidden in every branch of Christianity. Therefore, Gingrich must not be a devout Christian and his various attacks on gay rights and the separation between church and state not stem from his Christian beliefs?

I wouldn't say Gingrich is a devout mainstream Christian, no... no more than the Westborough Baptist Church being representative of mainstream Christianity.

Secondly, Gingrich's actions are very easy to compartmentalize; he isn't meeting the people he is fucking over, he isn't looking them in the eye as he does it. It is very, VERY easy to sign of piece of paper taking away someone's rights; anyone has the capacity to do it with little to no moral hangups. There is however a huge difference between that and stabbing someone.

Finally, I would say that Newt Gingrich is a fucking nutjob as well (just of a different strain), as I would all sorts of ultra-conservative, ultra-religious groups. Yes, his thoughts are influenced by Christianity, but at the end of the day he would just be a fucking moron in one way or another, Christian... Muslim... Jew... Atheist...

So I'm not sure how that doesn't make any sense, I don't know very many people who would portray Newt Gingrich as a mainstream Christian. Therefor that is a completely irrelevant point to make.

pr126

Even if the stabber was a Muslim, - and we cannot be sure, - he was a misunderstander of the peaceful religion. Nowhere says in the Quran to harm innocent people.

He was crazy . A drug addict. Lone wolf. Disenfranchised. Something to do with socio-economics?
Could have been a Christian or a Zionist pretending to be a Muslim (a more credible hypotesis),   to make Islam look bad.

In any case, it was the victims' fault by giving the wrong answer.

/sarc.

Get with the program.

stromboli

pr126

Quote from: stromboli on February 20, 2015, 08:22:28 AM
I'm thinking moron with a knife. Just saying.
Yes, possibly.
But where did the idea come from that it is OK to stab / harm non Muslims?

stromboli

Imagine assailant first shaking fist at TV and saying "curse you, Fox News! I'll show ya!" Motivation ain't hard to come by.

Green Bottle

God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''