News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

UK Supreme Court deals blow to RCC

Started by Valigarmander, March 03, 2013, 02:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valigarmander

http://www.secularism.org.uk/news/2013/ ... reme-court

QuoteThe Supreme Court has this week refused to hear a case from the Catholic Church that it could not be held responsible for abuse committed by one of its priests because he was not an 'employee'. This means the Catholic Church can now be financially liable for child abuse by priests working under its control.
The case arose when a Portsmouth woman brought a civil action against the Church after claiming she was abused by a priest at a children's home run by the Church.
The woman, identified in court as Miss E, was seven years old when she was admitted to the Firs Children' Home in 1970. She alleges she was sexually abused by Father Wilfred Baldwin, a priest of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Portsmouth, who died in 2006.
In November 2011, High Court judge Mr Justice Alistair MacDuffs ruled that the church is legally responsible for sexual abuse committed by its priests. This week's ruling by the Supreme Court has now confirmed that decision.
Peter Furlough, who represents the lawyers of the Waterlooville victim, said it was a landmark case that could not be challenged in Europe– and one that would have international ramifications for the Catholic Church.
He told The Portsmouth News: "The Supreme Court has refused the Catholic Church permission to make further appeals to it. Therefore the Catholic Churches' case is lost. That's to say they are responsible for the misbehaviour of their priests.
"The Catholic Church were looking to use a loophole. They were arguing that because priests are technically self-employed the church could not be held responsible for their misbehaviour. The Supreme Court was having none of it."
Because the point of the law has now been settled, it means that other cases of alleged abuse by Father Baldwin can be heard. Mr Furlough said there were known to be several 'local' victims.
Mr Furlough said: "It's known there are a number of other cases involving the late Father Baldwin. We should expect a number of other cases to come forward. There's a list of half a dozen or so that are known."
He added: "It's not possible for the church to go toEurope. The Supreme court has refused even to hear it. Therefore the case stops there and can't go any further."
He said the ruling would have an impact across the globe in similar cases.
Keith Porteous Wood, executive director of the National Secular Society, said: "It is hard to exaggerate the importance of this case: it will almost certainly become an international precedent opening the door to financial liability against the Church for at least tens of thousands of victims of abuse worldwide.
"Evidence abounds of the shameless lengths to which the Church has stooped for decades to evade financial responsibility for widespread abuse of children in its care. To have fought to evade liability for admitted abuse is both morally repugnant and a continuing blatant breach of the Church's obligations under the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child."

stromboli

TheDevoutPasta

sounds good, maybe we'll see the demise of the RCC in the following generation(s).
I really hope they name the next pope Peter of Romanus. ;)
"The criticism of the atrocities inherent to religion is an undeniable prerequisite of societal progress."

Nonsensei

Maybe foreknowledge of this result is what hastened Ratzinger out of the popehood.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you\'ll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

ratzu

Can I get a hallelujah!?
YOU STAY CLASSY INTERNET

Zatoichi

"If the thought of something makes me giggle for longer than 15 seconds, I am to assume that I am not allowed to do it." ~Skippy's List

Atheon

Great!

I could't imagine this happening in the US Supreme Court, though... there are what? Seven Catholics on it?
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: "Nonsensei"Maybe foreknowledge of this result is what hastened Ratzinger out of the popehood.
With the way things are going it's going to get the point where it will be absolutely stupid to be pope. I'm halfway sure Ratzinger realized this and got out while he could.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

GurrenLagann

Hell yeah. :)

Oh and I'm waiting for the members of that SC to be declared antichrists. I mean, being harsh to the RCC, why do that?

/obvious sarcasm is obvious
Which means that to me the offer of certainty, the offer of complete security, the offer of an impermeable faith that can\'t give way, is the offer of something not worth having.
[...]
Take the risk of thinking for yourself. Much more happiness, truth, beauty & wisdom, will come to you that way.
-Christopher Hitchens

Plu

Quote from: "The Skeletal Atheist"
Quote from: "Nonsensei"Maybe foreknowledge of this result is what hastened Ratzinger out of the popehood.
With the way things are going it's going to get the point where it will be absolutely stupid to be pope. I'm halfway sure Ratzinger realized this and got out while he could.

I wonder if finding the new pope has shifted from "me me me me me" to "him him him him him". Shame we'll never hear about the proces as outsiders.

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: "Plu"

I wonder if finding the new pope has shifted from "me me me me me" to "him him him him him". Shame we'll never hear about the proces as outsiders.
To me it seems like the Vatican is on the downfall, so your assessment may be right. I'm guessing it won't be during our lifetimes, but I'm almost sure that the RCC is on the way to becoming a relic.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Jason78

These churches don't half squirm when it comes to facing up to their responsibilities in court don't they?
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Surrogate

QuoteThe Supreme Court has this week refused to hear a case from the Catholic Church that it could not be held responsible for abuse committed by one of its priests because he was not an 'employee'

What a bunch of fucking weasels....yeesh.  They should be ashamed they even thought of using that excuse.
Existence is a choice.   There is no chaos in the world, only complexity.   Knowledge of the complex is wisdom.   From wisdom of the world comes wisdom of the self.   Mastery of the self is mastery of the world. Loss of the self is the source of suffering.   Suffering is a choice, and we can refuse it.
It is in our power to create the world, or destroy it.
—An excerpt from The Qun, Canto 1

Zatoichi

Quote from: "Surrogate"
QuoteThe Supreme Court has this week refused to hear a case from the Catholic Church that it could not be held responsible for abuse committed by one of its priests because he was not an 'employee'

What a bunch of fucking weasels....yeesh.  They should be ashamed they even thought of using that excuse.

As far as I know about law, all that's needed is for someone to be an "official representative" of said organization. If they operate on their behalf, and are subordinate to their policies, then I'd think that's close enough to blame the Boss Man.

But once they began covering for these guys... moving them to new locations in an attempt to hide, then that's aiding and abetting. Doesn't matter if I didn't employ a bank robber, but once I give him a ride from the crime scene to the hideout, I'm just as guilty as he is.
"If the thought of something makes me giggle for longer than 15 seconds, I am to assume that I am not allowed to do it." ~Skippy's List

SilentFutility

I think it's more what TSA said.

The RCC is fast becoming widely percieved as the horrible, backwards organisation that it really is, and the stresses of being pope and defending an organisation that has systematically committed horrible crimes against vast numbers of victims spanning generations is probably getting to be a lot to deal with, even for a young person, let alone someone old and frail.