Public school teaches the shahada

Started by pr126, February 13, 2015, 01:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pr126

Public school teaches the shahada, the Islamic prayer for conversions

QuoteIslam has forced its way into our schools, brainwashing our children. We should all be profoundly concerned, whether we have school age children or not. Because when you capture the minds of young people, you own the future.

Why not?  It says separation of church and state.
Nowhere does it say separation of mosque and state.

dtq123

Quote from: pr126 on February 13, 2015, 01:31:47 AM
Public school teaches the shahada, the Islamic prayer for conversions
Why not?  It says separation of church and state.
Nowhere does it say separation of mosque and state.
That's it, bye. :hang:
(Just kidding, you know what I mean.)
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

Solitary

What's next, teaching Paganism and Hinduism? Why teach any religion or religious rituals in a secular society that has made this country great. Superstitious nonsense is destroying this world and the minds of our youth. Enough already! Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Shiranu

Quote from: Solitary on February 13, 2015, 10:48:50 AM
What's next, teaching Paganism and Hinduism? Why teach any religion or religious rituals in a secular society that has made this country great. Superstitious nonsense is destroying this world and the minds of our youth. Enough already! Solitary

So long as it's an elective, why not? I'm perfectly fine (infact would rather like it) if we took various world religions in school. There is a difference between teaching these faiths and converting people to them.

Edit: Meant to answer your question; teach them because, like it or not, religion has had a huge historical, both cultural and in more tangible ways, impact on humanity and is still an influence on the vast majority of humanity. It is ultimately one of the things that makes us very uniquely different from any other known living creature, and I think that makes it very much worth studying... as well as just helping us understand where other cultures are coming from when they do the things they do.

To ask, "why should we study religion" to me feels like as weird of question as asking, "why should we study archeology."... yes, the practical applications are limited, but we understand more and more what it means to be human and that is perhaps one of the most, if not the most, important thing we can learn in life.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

pr126

The object of the exercise is to proselytize, to spread Islam.

Where is ACLU?

Solitary

Quote from: Shiranu on February 13, 2015, 01:41:15 PM
So long as it's an elective, why not? I'm perfectly fine (infact would rather like it) if we took various world religions in school. There is a difference between teaching these faiths and converting people to them.

Edit: Meant to answer your question; teach them because, like it or not, religion has had a huge historical, both cultural and in more tangible ways, impact on humanity and is still an influence on the vast majority of humanity. It is ultimately one of the things that makes us very uniquely different from any other known living creature, and I think that makes it very much worth studying... as well as just helping us understand where other cultures are coming from when they do the things they do.

To ask, "why should we study religion" to me feels like as weird of question as asking, "why should we study archeology."... yes, the practical applications are limited, but we understand more and more what it means to be human and that is perhaps one of the most, if not the most, important thing we can learn in life.
Both of my sons were raised Catholic because I think knowledge is good, but ignorance is bad. However, it was with the understanding that they be taught science and formal logic too. So I know what you mean, but teaching one religion is not doing that, and that is the problem. How has religion taught us to be human, please explain. All it has taught is superstition, magical thinking, never question authority, bigotry, hatred, prejudice, intolerance, and ignorance about science in general. We are all TOO human, even the higher animals know shame and guilt, religion teaches that whatever religion you are you are chosen by God to rule the world. How has that worked out so far? Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

gussy

It is good that the author of this article brings this to our attention but in the end she blames the wrong people.  Local school boards have lost  great deal of power over the last decade when it comes to choosing curriculum.  The state and federal governments control most of the curriculum and the textbook companies have more control.  Constantly changing standards means more textbooks can be sold.  In some states, private charter schools get to set their own curriculums with little over site. 

Because of these changes school boards can't even keep up with the garbage being taught.  No local school board would have approved this half empty book and the nonsense in it.  Teachers are afraid to object over the risk of termination.  The people behind this are the type of politician that the author would support.  Instead she has to go tinfoil hat and blame the Muslim Brotherhood with nothing to back up her claim. 

PickelledEggs

When I was in school they only taught the hokey-pokey. They apparently weren't able to turn themselves around...

Shiranu

QuoteI know what you mean, but teaching one religion is not doing that, and that is the problem. How has religion taught us to be human, please explain. All it has taught is superstition, magical thinking, never question authority, bigotry, hatred, prejudice, intolerance, and ignorance about science in general.

It hasn't taught us to be human, it IS being human.

And I know quite a few historical figures who based their greatness, their motivations, on religious belief so clearly that isn't all it has taught.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Munch

Quote from: Shiranu on February 13, 2015, 10:33:54 PM
It hasn't taught us to be human, it IS being human.

And I know quite a few historical figures who based their greatness, their motivations, on religious belief so clearly that isn't all it has taught.

I'd argue most of the greatest minds in history also followed religion because it was the status quo at the time.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Shiranu

Quote from: Jmpty on February 13, 2015, 11:14:53 PM
http://www.snopes.com/politics/education/revere.asp

Wow, imagine that... an article about how Muslims are taking over our way of life was scare propaganda.

Never saw that coming...

pr126

Ah, Snopes.com.  The indisputable fountain of truth.
No further research necessary.

It was a Zionist propaganda all along to make Islam look bad.

Thanks.

Poison Tree

From the news story linked in pr126's link:
QuoteWagner's concerns prompted a district investigation that found the teacher never tried to indoctrinate or convert students.

Some other students interviewed by administrators said they were not required to recite the prayer aloud. They did discuss a video played during class about the religion, but Blasewitz got frustrated and stormed out when 9 Investigates asked whether the district is considering changes to the curriculum.
Had to break in here an comment on what a poorly written sentence that was. Continued abuse of the conjunctive "but"
"You're just going to walk away from our interview when we're trying to get information," said investigative reporter Daralene Jones.

Before Blasewitz walked out, he further justified the curriculum, saying students learn specific Judaism doctrine, the Bible and its scriptures, in earlier school years.

"If anything, it's a little imbalanced toward Christianity and Judaism," Blasewitz said.

Federal law allows schools to teach aboutreligion, because it's part of history. But public schools may not teach religion.
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

Hydra009

Quote from: pr126 on February 14, 2015, 01:35:54 AM
Ah, Snopes.com.  The indisputable fountain of truth.
No further research necessary.

It was a Zionist propaganda all along to make Islam look bad.

Thanks.
Well, this is it.  The exact moment I stopped taking you seriously.

Scare propaganda that wasn't even factually correct, gets called on it, doesn't retract anything but soldiers on while claiming that the Snopes people are the ones who are actually wrong.  Priceless.