News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The Big Bang. ... or maybe there wasn't?

Started by PickelledEggs, February 10, 2015, 12:25:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on February 10, 2015, 02:58:21 PM
You mean god didn't just go "poof" and create it all 7000 years ago?

BLASPHEMY!
6019 years ago, this coming Oct. 23rd. 5:30 PM. Sumerian time.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

AllPurposeAtheist

All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

kilodelta

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on February 10, 2015, 02:58:21 PM
You mean god didn't just go "poof" and create it all 7000 years ago?

BLASPHEMY!

I think the Poof Theory is valid as I read it in a "history" book.
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

stromboli

(Stromboli searches internet for "poof" theory. Comes up empty)

JosephPalazzo is a physicist. Hasn't posted for a while. I recall posting something similar on here awhile back and he wasn't in agreement with it. Any other physicists on here? Link to the "poof" theory? mathematically challenged Stromboli is confused.  :think:

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: kilodelta on February 10, 2015, 07:41:30 PM
I think the Poof Theory is valid as I read it in a "history" book.
You understand it well enough to comment?  Or do you just comment anyway?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Jason78

Quote from: stromboli on February 11, 2015, 10:18:37 AM
JosephPalazzo is a physicist. Hasn't posted for a while.

He will come when we need him the most.  And he will eloquently explain how Lambda falls out of the first equation so easily.

And we will nod and I will probably still be none the wiser
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Solitary

Science is always tentative, and offers no proof, only mathematicians and religious leaders offer absolute proof.
Mathematicians can't even figure out the three body problem, and yet they know what happen at the Big Bang. Mathematics is only a tool and therefore an invention made by man to understand the world we live in, not a discovery. Example: What is the next number in the sequence 1,4,9,16,---?

While 25 seems correct, it is actually 42.  Using mathematics here is PROOF: (n-1)(n-2)(n-3)+nxn equals 3.2.1+6.6=36 Solitary

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

kilodelta

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on February 11, 2015, 10:57:42 AM
You understand it well enough to comment?  Or do you just comment anyway?

That was a joke calling the Christian creation claim the "poof theory" (since APA made a joke about god "poofing" the universe into existence) based on a "history" book i.e. the Bible. That was a reference to the many Christians that say the Bible contains historical evidence of the existence of their god.

I quoted APA's joke to help give reference to my joke.

But, no. I'm not a physicist or have background knowledge to take any solid stance on the issue of the origins of the universe. I can however reject the idea of a god creating the universe due to the lack of evidence of such a god. I can't give preference to the big bang or continual universe that the OP's article hypothesizes. They are both interesting nonetheless.
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

The Skeletal Atheist

Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!