Does anyone else get annoyed with some of the "culture" surrounding atheism?

Started by atheist_in_a_foxhole, February 09, 2015, 10:13:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

Assholes are assholes, atheist or otherwise. Some of the people that do videos and blogs like Betty Bowers are very good, because they are intelligent and funny. The ones that are extremely confrontational only hurt themselves in the long run, but I'd still rather see confrontation than be conciliatory. The problem is that when you try to "be nice" to pinheads like Huckabee, Ham and Bachman is that they want to drive the discussion and drag everyone into a defensive posture. I would rather see an attack than discussions from the standpoint of defending your beliefs.

Neil Degrasse Tyson is a good example. He simply rises above it, flatly stating what he knows as truth. Sam Harris does it with information, Minchin does it with sarcastic humor. Those are effective methods. Maher is at times too arrogant, granted. But I'd rather see arrogance than passivity. A smack down is a lot more convincing than a belabored, long drawn out explanation.

GSOgymrat

I love Betty Bowers. "God is my ATM, prayer is my PIN" is classic.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Munch on February 10, 2015, 10:59:27 AM
like once a co-worker found out I was gay and spoke right up "oh its not natural"

Of course the gay comeback to that is "Neither is your hair, bitch."
[emoji12]

stromboli

Draconic Aiur

MagetheEntertainer

I Don't really like fedora's or having a beard, so I'm not a big fan of the stereotype that atheist are fat fedora wearing neckebeards.