News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Crazy State of Texas

Started by wolf39us, February 04, 2015, 11:39:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolf39us

Shiranu

Bad Luck Texas; Has some of the most liberal cities in the United States, extremely demographically, economically and ecologically diverse, has some of the top universities in the US, is ranked 18th in education, home of NASA, one of the top wind energy states in the Union, a melting pot of cultures, one of the music capitals of the world in Austin, 8 national-quality hospitals + the largest military hospital in the States...

"Hur durrrr, all that comes from Texas are racist rednecks and bible thumpin' white folks on horses!"

Look, Texas has it's flaws... but a fucking Floridian is going to talk shit about Texas? Seriously? That is comical, Florida blows us away in bat-shit crazy. I would much rather be an African American, Gay, Atheist or Muslim in Texas than in Florida, any day of the week.

Stab at Texas aside, no problems from the bit I listened to. But it's like listening to someone from North Korea calling someone else's country crazy.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Well, yanno, Texas's bad rep isn't entirely undeserved...but yeah, the bad stuff isn't the whole story.  There's a lot of good stuff there, too.  Come to think of it, Florida has its pros as well.  Hell, even my neck of the woods has some serious medical, biotech, and banking muscle.  Most of the South gets a bad rep somewhat out of proportion for how it actually is.

Atheon

Texas does have some of the best burritos, I'll give you that.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

stromboli

Ted Cruz and Rick Perry. Somebody elected them. Perry just signed into law a bill allowing for people not to vaccinate for "religious exemptions"
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/02/04/rick-perry-signed-into-law-a-conscience-exemption-for-vaccines.html

Two more words: Ted Nugent. This twinkie should be ostracized from humanity. He is a celebrity.

Regardless of how you feel about your home state, you got some nutters running it.

SGOS

Maybe the administration hid (more like partially obscured) the ball, resulting in several state governors opting out of Obamacare.  It wouldn't be out of character for any administration, but mostly, that guy from Texas made it sound like right wing governors fucked up and got bit in the ass.  As Hastings pointed out, they were playing politics, cutting off their noses to spite their face by taking an illogical stand on a principle that makes no financial sense.

Back during the implementation of Obamacare, I kept hearing, "States can opt out, but they will miss out on certain benefits and subsidies from the Federal Government.  I heard this over and over again.  On the surface, it sounds like a no brainer and that opting out was equivalent to shooting yourself in the foot.  But then laws are often complicated matters, so who am I to say?

Except that:  Complicated or not, these are Governors charged with looking out for the interests of their states.  Obama hid the ball?  Didn't have time to know what was really in the bill?  My Ass!  They are governors for God sakes.  Get their best men on it, and they could have figured out what the bill said in a week.  I can't believe they didn't know what was in the bill, and back then I even thought they were just playing politics, using poor people as pawns, and when the poor realized they got fucked, the governors planned to blame Obama.

I'm critical of Obama, just like I'm critical of any president, but this sounds like governors crying because they missed out on something that was entirely their own fault.  Now it's back firing.  Now they are in a corner, and doing what they never stop doing, spewing more bullshit.

I have to hand it for that speaker from Texas.  He made me almost believe his bullshit for a few seconds.  I thought he was a good speaker and would make a fine politician.  </quit sarcasm>

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: stromboli on February 05, 2015, 07:26:48 AM
Ted Cruz and Rick Perry. Somebody elected them. Perry just signed into law a bill allowing for people not to vaccinate for "religious exemptions"
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/02/04/rick-perry-signed-into-law-a-conscience-exemption-for-vaccines.html

Two more words: Ted Nugent. This twinkie should be ostracized from humanity. He is a celebrity.

Regardless of how you feel about your home state, you got some nutters running it.

Doesn't terrible Ted (Nugent) claim Detroit as home?
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

stromboli

Last I heard he was living in Texas. To shoot things.

Solitary

The good things in both States are not a problem, but the craziness is. My State (Arizona) gives them both a run for the money for being crazy.  :eek: :rolleyes: :wall: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.