Dead or Alive (or meditating) II

Started by trdsf, February 04, 2015, 12:38:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

Personally, I wouldn't have a physician who believed a mummified corpse is still alive and just meditating... if he's not breathing and there's no circulation, I would call that 'dead', not 'meditating'.

Quote from: BBC NewsMummified monk in Mongolia 'not dead', say Buddhists

A mummified monk found preserved in Mongolia last week has been baffling and astounding those who uncovered him.

Senior Buddhists say the monk, found sitting in the lotus position, is in a deep meditative trance and not dead.

Forensic examinations are under way on the remains, found wrapped in cattle skins in north-central Mongolia.

Scientists have yet to determine how the monk is so well-preserved, though some think Mongolia's cold weather could be the reason.

But Dr Barry Kerzin, a physician to Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama, told the Siberian Times that the monk was in a rare state of meditation called "tukdam".

"If the meditator can continue to stay in this meditative state, he can become a Buddha," Dr Kerzin said.

The monk was discovered after being stolen by a man hoping to sell him on the black market.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

My money is on dead.  Eating and drinking tends to correlate pretty strongly with living.

doorknob

Jason78

Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

stromboli

Aupmanyav

Dead, alive, or meditating: The case is in Court. It involves some 160 million dollar worth of property. The Baba (Ashutosh Mahraj) propped up in a refrigerated room.

http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/newsroom/img/mt/2014/05/gurumain.jpg/lead.jpg?n6eeg6
"Brahma Satyam Jagan-mithya" (Brahman is the truth, the observed is an illusion)
"Sarve Khalu Idam Brahma" (All this here is Brahman)