News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Atheist Celebrities

Started by Sleeper, March 03, 2013, 10:26:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

Personally I don't care what any celebrity thinks about the subject. I don't much care about celebrities period much less what they think of god, no god or roller skates for that matter.
As soon as one knocks on my door to ask my opinion Ill give it, but short of that, nadda..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Sleeper

Quote from: "stromboli"I think it is good to know just to point out to people. Prominent people who are atheists who are positive personalities shines a good light on us. Two of my grand kids are atheists in part because of the Mythbusters, so it isn't a bad thing.
Harry Potter and WIlly Wonka are atheists. That's a good message for the kids.
Because LaPlace still holds sway.

mnmelt

Quote from: "stromboli"I think it is good to know just to point out to people. Prominent people who are atheists who are positive personalities shines a good light on us. Two of my grand kids are atheists in part because of the Mythbusters, so it isn't a bad thing.

I agree... Kids idolize so many celebs.. Its nice to know there are a few I wouldnt mind influencing the kids of this country
Jesus loves me but I still make him wear a condom

Sleeper

Look, grand scheme of things, I don't give much of a shit either. Most of it is, "eh, didn't know that. Interesting." But some of it is... well, I guess I kind of put it in the same category as where the players on one of my favorite sports teams went to college. Ultimately I don't care and it doesn't much matter, but in some small way, it does give a little insight on how they'll play and represent my team.

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "Sleeper"Who's worried about them? Was just curious and found it a tad interesting because I didn't know. But I am glad to know that you won't be arguing your viewpoints anymore to people who disagree. Unless you know and love them, of course.

"Arguing my viewpoints" and "monitoring the beliefs of celebrities" are two different things, as a little thinking will make obvious.

I can argue with strangers, if they bring their views to my attention.

But I don't go out looking for support from total strangers.  If someone else needs that support in order to feel good about <insert deep concern here>, that's good for them, I suppose.  Truth doesn't care how many A-listers subscribe to it.  Why should anyone else?
<insert witty aphorism here>

AllPurposeAtheist

The mere fact a celebrity is an atheist means little of nothing to me unless they're very outspoken about it and able to actually influence the masses the way say George Carlin could. The vast majority of the celebrities on that list mean zilch to me and the vast majority of atheists around the world mean zilch to me because I don't know them and they don't know me. I know several atheists I can't stand because they're assholes. Being a celebrity doesn't endear them to me just because they MIGHT be atheist.. Shit, they MIGHT reconvert tomorrow and start selling bibles on TV and begin doing teabagger political ads..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Sleeper

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus""Arguing my viewpoints" and "monitoring the beliefs of celebrities" are two different things, as a little thinking will make obvious.

I can argue with strangers, if they bring their views to my attention.
You didn't say "monitoring the beliefs of celebrities," even if it's "in quotes" above. You said "worrying about the opinions of people you neither know nor love." If a stranger brings their opinion to you - don't worry about it. It's pointless.

QuoteBut I don't go out looking for support from total strangers.  If someone else needs that support in order to feel good about <insert deep concern here>, that's good for them, I suppose.  Truth doesn't care how many A-listers subscribe to it.  Why should anyone else?
I disagree - if someone needs that kind of support it's not good for them. It's pathetic. But I neither said nor implied anything of the sort. Always good to hear your level-headed, non-contrived responses to what people actually say.

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "Sleeper"If a stranger brings their opinion to you - don't worry about it. It's pointless.

Physician, heal thyself.

QuoteI disagree - if someone needs that kind of support it's not good for them. It's pathetic. But I neither said nor implied anything of the sort. Always good to hear your level-headed, non-contrived responses to what people actually say.

Yeah, it's pathetic, alright.  Why do you care what celebrity is atheist?

Oh, yeah, here it is:

QuoteLook, grand scheme of things, I don't give much of a shit either. Most of it is, "eh, didn't know that. Interesting." But some of it is... well, I guess I kind of put it in the same category as where the players on one of my favorite sports teams went to college. Ultimately I don't care and it doesn't much matter, but in some small way, it does give a little insight on how they'll play and represent my team.

That whole team thing is fucking funny. Go Team Atheism!

Seriously -- you can't seem to make up your mind; is this important, or not?  Then why start a thread about what someone you don't even know believes?  Just because someone is an atheist doesn't mean that their opinion is meaningful.  Say, for instance, if they came to their atheism through New-Age crystal-woo, that would certainly mark them as thoughtless in my book.  

Reason first, and whatever conclusion that brings about.
<insert witty aphorism here>

Sleeper

Why am I not surprised that you completely missed my "favorite team" point? It's not "team atheism." Maybe I shouldn't but, to be honest, I'll see them differently now. Not much, but a little. I'll watch a film occasionally, crucify me. I'll come at them from a different angle now.

My entire point is in the OP:

QuoteI started wondering who else might be an atheist that I would have never known.

Quote...here are some that I didn't know were, but probably could have guessed:

Quote...here are some that honestly surprised me:

So clearly I think this is a dire circumstance?! Where the fuck am I hanging my hat, planning my days, holding my breath based on what these people believe? Alright, Team Atheism, we've got to hang on to these famous folks' every word. Defend them at every turn, follow their careers, give them every ounce of support you can give. We're in this together!

I said it again...

QuoteMost of it is, "eh, didn't know that. Interesting."

Now you obviously care more than I do, just in the other direction, because you've made a major issue out of something that is, by your words, pretty pointless. You could have just said "who cares" (or kept it to yourself) and fuck'd off. But you took the opportunity of a lifetime - to turn a "some might be interested to know this" moment into a "this is where I make sure they know what kind of guy I am - too, too hardcore."

...moment.

Oh, and by the way, are you saying that there shouldn't be threads about high-profile people who surprisingly turn out to be atheists? Even if it's nothing more than a small surprise? Because there's thousands. Make sure you waggle your dangle in there too.

Atheon

Quote from: "_Xenu_"Who cares?
I do. It's good to have well-known atheists out there. It gives atheism more exposure, and helps dispel the myth that we're all "bad" people.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Shiranu

The amount of butthurt over a trivial matter of, Huh, wonder who all are atheists..." is too damn high.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

_Xenu_

Quote from: "Sleeper"
Apparently not you, so feel free to fuck off.
Well seriously then, what are we? A bunch of Scientologists?
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

_Xenu_

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"Personally I don't care what any celebrity thinks about the subject. I don't much care about celebrities period much less what they think of god, no god or roller skates for that matter.
As soon as one knocks on my door to ask my opinion Ill give it, but short of that, nadda..
This. Like being famous means they know shit about anything.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

Johan

Quote from: "Atheon"
I do. It's good to have well-known atheists out there. It gives atheism more exposure, and helps dispel the myth that we're all "bad" people.
I think that's a stretch. Penn Jillette wrote two pretty good books on the topic. That's good for the cause I think. But the fact that some random celebrity is atheist isn't going to have much effect. Do you think Tom Cruise convinced anyone to join scientology who wasn't going to end up there on their own?
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

gussy

Butterfly McQueen from Gone With the Wind.

Quote"As my ancestors are free from slavery, I am free from the slavery of religion."