News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Atheist Celebrities

Started by Sleeper, March 03, 2013, 10:26:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sleeper

This came to mind earlier this week when I found out that Julianne Moore and Emma Thompson were atheists. I started wondering who else might be an atheist that I would have never known. Of course there's the Jody Foster's, the Sir Ian McKellen's, the Mark Zuckerberg's, Woody Allen's and Seth Macfarlane's that we all know are atheists, but here are some that I didn't know were, but probably could have guessed:

Brad Pitt
Keanu Reeves
Billy Joel
Eddie Vedder
John Malkovich
Bjork
Javier Bardem
Paul Bettany (based on his role as Charles Darwin in the film Creation)
Paul Giamatti
The Mythbusters dudes

And here are some that honestly surprised me:

Kevin Bacon (he really kicked off those Sunday shoes)
Katherine Hepburn
Ray Romano (what?)
Margot Kidder (Christopher Reeves' Lois Lane... and while we're at it...)
Christopher Reeves
Larry King
Keira Knightly (YES!)
Burt Lancaster
Nigella Lawson (of the Food Network)
Helen Mirren
Daniel Radcliffe
Gene Wilder
And I don't know why, but the most surprising to me was Bruce Lee.

Please... grace us with more if you know of any.
Because LaPlace still holds sway.

Johan

Quote from: "Sleeper"Please... grace us with more if you know of any.
Me.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

leo

Quote from: "Sleeper"This came to mind earlier this week when I found out that Julianne Moore and Emma Thompson were atheists. I started wondering who else might be an atheist that I would have never known. Of course there's the Jody Foster's, the Sir Ian McKellen's, the Mark Zuckerberg's, Woody Allen's and Seth Macfarlane's that we all know are atheists, but here are some that I didn't know were, but probably could have guessed:

Brad Pitt
Keanu Reeves
Billy Joel
Eddie Vedder
John Malkovich
Bjork
Javier Bardem
Paul Bettany (based on his role as Charles Darwin in the film Creation)
Paul Giamatti
The Mythbusters dudes

And here are some that honestly surprised me:

Kevin Bacon (he really kicked off those Sunday shoes)
Katherine Hepburn
Ray Romano (what?)
Margot Kidder (Christopher Reeves' Lois Lane... and while we're at it...)
Christopher Reeves
Larry King
Keira Knightly (YES!)
Burt Lancaster
Nigella Lawson (of the Food Network)
Helen Mirren
Daniel Radcliffe
Gene Wilder
And I don't know why, but the most surprising to me was Bruce Lee.

Please... grace us with more if you know of any.
Bruce lee is the best atheist ever . A atheist with his martial arts skills . Nobody can beat that .
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

stromboli

QuoteBruce lee is the best atheist ever . A atheist with his martial arts skills . Nobody can beat that .
Or him.

Douglas Adams, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Woody Allen, Fred Armisen, Lance Armstrong, Darren Aronofsky, Isaac Asimov, Dan Barker, Dave Barry, Ingmar Bergman, Niels Bohr, Richard Branson, James Cameron, George Carlin, John Carmack, Adam Carolla, John Carpenter, Asia Carrera, Fidel Castro, Noam Chomsky, Jeremy Clarkson, Billy Connolly, Francis Crick, David Cronenberg, David Cross, Alan Cumming, Rodney Dangerfield, Richard Dawkins, Daniel Dennett, Ani DiFranco, Micky Dolenz, Albert Einstein, Harlan Ellison, Paul Erd?s, Richard Feynman, Harvey Fierstein, Larry Flynt, Dave Foley, Jodie Foster, Janeane Garofalo, Bill Gates, Bob Geldof, Ricky Gervais, Ira Glass, James Gleick, Robert Heinlein, Ernest Hemingway, Katharine Hepburn, Christopher Hitchens, Jamie Hyneman, Eddie Izzard, Penn Jillette, Billy Joel, Diane Keaton, Michael Kinsley, Keira Knightley, John Landis, Hugh Laurie, Artie Lange, Richard Leakey, Bruce Lee, Tom Lehrer, John Lennon, Tom Leykis, James Lipton, H.P. Lovecraft, Ernst Mach, Seth MacFarlane, Bill Maher, John Malkovich, Barry Manilow, Todd McFarlane, Sir Ian McKellen, Arthur Miller, Frank Miller, Claude Monet, Julianne Moore, Rafael Nadal, Randy Newman, Mike Nichols, Jack Nicholson, Gary Numan, Bob Odenkirk, Patton Oswalt, Camille Paglia, Trey Parker, Steven Pinker, Paula Poundstone, Terry Pratchett, Robin Quivers, James Randi, Ron Reagan Jr., Rob Reiner, Keanu Reeves, Rick Reynolds, Gene Roddenberry, Joe Rogan, Henry Rollins, Andy Rooney, Salman Rushdie, Adam Savage, Brian Sapient, Erwin Schrödinger, Bob Simon, Steven Soderbergh, Annika Sorenstam, George Soros, Richard Stallman, Howard Stern, Matt Stone, Julia Sweeney, Teller, Studs Terkel, Pat Tillman, Alan Turing, Eddie Vedder, Gore Vidal, Vincent van Gogh, Kurt Vonnegut Jr., Steven Weinberg, Joss Whedon, Ted Williams, Steve Wozniak

Sleeper

mnmelt

Ahhh.. Bill Mahar... my only comedic respit since Carlin is gone,.. Although Izzard and Gervais help..

Sigh... I miss Carlin's "In your face comedy"...... :cry:
Jesus loves me but I still make him wear a condom

Alaric I

Dana White and many of the UFC fighters are atheist.  Stromboli, Trey Parker I believe identifies himself as agnostic.  He said that atheists are the funniest of all because he doesn't believe in the Big Bang, and believes that to be the biggest part of being atheist.

stromboli

Quote from: "Sleeper"Is that from this site?

yes indeedy. Just googled celebrity atheist and that is what came up.

Sleeper

Quote from: "mnmelt"Ahhh.. Bill Mahar... my only comedic respit since Carlin is gone,.. Although Izzard and Gervais help..

Sigh... I miss Carlin's "In your face comedy"...... :cry:
If you haven't already, you should check out Jimmy Carr.

Sleeper

Quote from: "stromboli"
Quote from: "Sleeper"Is that from this site?

yes indeedy. Just googled celebrity atheist and that is what came up.
I looked at that one too, that's why I recognized it. There were some in the "ambiguous" category, though, who I thought were solid atheists, like Marilyn Manson, Stephen Hawking, and Lewis Black. Don't know about that site.

_Xenu_

Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

Sleeper

Quote from: "_Xenu_"Who cares?
Apparently not you, so feel free to fuck off.

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "Sleeper"
Quote from: "_Xenu_"Who cares?
Apparently not you, so feel free to fuck off.

It is a pretty pointless thing, worrying about the opinions of people you neither know nor love.
<insert witty aphorism here>

Sleeper

Who's worried about them? Was just curious and found it a tad interesting because I didn't know. But I am glad to know that you won't be arguing your viewpoints anymore to people who disagree. Unless you know and love them, of course.

stromboli

I think it is good to know just to point out to people. Prominent people who are atheists who are positive personalities shines a good light on us. Two of my grand kids are atheists in part because of the Mythbusters, so it isn't a bad thing.