Does this religion work for you guys?

Started by SNP1, February 02, 2015, 05:53:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SNP1

"My only agenda, if one can call it that, is the pursuit of truth" ~AoSS

PickelledEggs

Quote from: SNP1 on February 02, 2015, 05:53:45 PM
I think I found a great religion. The first temple in over 1000 years is being built for the Norse Gods.

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/a-new-guard-for-asgard-iceland-building-first-temple-to-norse-gods-in-1000-years/article22743857/?service=mobile
I saw that. I thought it was pretty cool and seems pretty harmless. Just worshiping the sun and seasons and taking the stories of the gods as metaphors for the most part, from what I read about it. For me though, I'd have to opt out. Even if it was an "atheist religion" like Lavayan Satansim, I don't like herd mentality and I even dislike the thought of me being a part of herd mentality even more. No matter what it is.

dtq123

A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

stromboli

Jason78

Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

stromboli

Vestal virgins? Probably not. Shield maidens? I could go with that. If "maiden" was optional.

Shiranu

If I lived in Iceland, I would most certainly join, that is amazing :D.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Quote from: Jason78 on February 03, 2015, 05:38:05 PMWhat's their policy on beer and wenches?
I'd hazard a guess that they're pro on both.  In Iceland, I'd imagine that those are the top two methods of staying warm.

Light Craftsman

I'll be passing through Iceland in June. Wish I had time for a side trip.
You cannot have a rational discussion with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Solitary

They don't call it Iceland for nothing. I hate the cold. Of course in front of a fire place with a beautiful blue eyed blond would keep me warm  even if she were frigid.  :eek: :pidu: :super: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

aitm

The ritual of Blot…..really….Blot? Thats the best they could come up with? I could see if it was about hammering a virgin and everybody gets to see the blood stain…….well……maybe not really after all, we can't go around saying we should have a religion that advocates raping virgins eh?
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SkyChief

What? Not even an honorable mention for FSM?

Pastafarian Forever. 

Amen.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be."    - Albert Einstein

Deidre32

“We see the stories as poetic metaphors and a manifestation of the forces of nature and human psychology.” << from the link

why is this shit necessary? i finally broke free of the need to cling to something other than reality...or distort reality to mean something other than it does. why not just appreciate reality for reality?

:/
The only lasting beauty, is the beauty of the heart. - Rumi

Deidre32

Quote from: PickelledEggs on February 02, 2015, 06:02:11 PM
I saw that. I thought it was pretty cool and seems pretty harmless. Just worshiping the sun and seasons and taking the stories of the gods as metaphors for the most part, from what I read about it. For me though, I'd have to opt out. Even if it was an "atheist religion" like Lavayan Satansim, I don't like herd mentality and I even dislike the thought of me being a part of herd mentality even more. No matter what it is.
This x 1000
The only lasting beauty, is the beauty of the heart. - Rumi