News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

How Christianity changed the world

Started by pauluk3, February 01, 2015, 04:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

Quote from: PickelledEggs on February 02, 2015, 12:42:48 PM
Both videos this guy posted were from the same youtube channel and seemingly preached that Christianity changed the world for the better... Like humans were savages before it and the reason we aren't anymore is because of christianity.

I can put them back if the OP will introduce himself and convince us that he is not just spamming his youtube channel to us, because right now he seems like he is just doing unsolicited self promotion.

Funny thing, since when you look up greek and roman history, you see the progression of mankinds advancements in those times.. before christianity came along and destroyed the ancient greek culture.
And correct me if i'm wrong here, but china did pretty well in terms of its advancements though the last several thousand years without christianity even being a thought in there minds.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Hydra009

Yeah, but did the Chinese respect marriage or ban cannibalism?  :P

Mike Cl

Christianity did change the world.  No doubt.  Why did it survive it's early chaos?  There were many, many mystery religions percolating in the time and area of it's birth--so why did it survive?  Ultimately, it survived and prospered was because it was a perfect vehicle for mind control--Constantine realized that and used it for that purpose.  Without this form of mental disease, the world would be better without a doubt; freer, less violent and kinder. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Quote from: Mike Cl on February 02, 2015, 03:10:52 PM
Christianity did change the world.  No doubt.  Why did it survive it's early chaos?  There were many, many mystery religions percolating in the time and area of it's birth--so why did it survive?  Ultimately, it survived and prospered was because it was a perfect vehicle for mind control--Constantine realized that and used it for that purpose.  Without this form of mental disease, the world would be better without a doubt; freer, less violent and kinder. 
Yes there is a certain evolutionary like set of circumstances in creating a durable religion.  It's not like someone sits down and figures out how to control others, or how to gain power, or how to fleece the gullible.  Well, they do of course, but the actual success is determine by things we cannot predict.  Watch partisan pundits on political talk shows.  They utter ridiculous things never knowing which absurd argument will gain traction.  They fling things against the wall watching for something to stick, and when something does, it gets picked up by someone else, and suddenly half the population is believing that Obama is a Muslim and was not born in the United States.

stromboli

I think it also had something to do with a polytheistic situation where you hade churches competing and believers scattered all over Rome. Going monotheistic got all the idiots trouble makers brain dead pinheads believers into one location.

Mike Cl

For some reason fundies think the bible and the church fell to earth one day in it's present form and has been that way for 2000 years, unchanged and unchanging.  The existence of christianity was in doubt for 300 years and was still not all that strong until it became the official religion of the Romans.  Constantine saw how good christanity was in mind control and keeping the sheeple in line.  And he made good use of it--good for his purposes. 

He even sent mommy off in search of holy relics like pieces of jesus' cross.  She found all kinds of stuff--and it did not matter than she was 300 years too late; I even understand that she found quite a lot of jesus' toilet paper (Charmin I think it was) and the Vatican has it locked up in it's private collection.  But that is probably only a heresay, since the vatican does not believe in idol worship. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

stromboli

After looking at the website, the correct decision was made. Give a shit less if he returns, because it is still self promotion.

MagetheEntertainer

I think its very difficult to attribute any major things in the world JUST to Christianity, you could say that not as many people would have died, or that we would be much more technologically advanced (which I think we would be) but if Christianity didn't conquer the world then some other religion like Islam, or Hinduism probably would have.  I think a better question is how Religion changed the world, and that answer is almost certainly for the worse.  Personally I like the Terrence Mckenna video about how Christianity changed the world, he thinks that if it wasn't for Christianity that the Greek empires would have remained in power/merged with the romans, we would have skipped the dark ages, gone straight to the renaissance, the greeks would have settled in America/South America during the peak of the Myan classic civilization, those culture would have merged, and we would basically have a greco-Myan empire that dominates the world and is about 2000 years more advance than us by this time.  Also there is a bunch of stuff about psychedelic drugs because you know, its Terrence Mckenna!