The "Moderately Religious" are just as dumb as fundies

Started by MagetheEntertainer, January 26, 2015, 09:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagetheEntertainer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4nxMNuCf-A

Whats your opinion, do you think it makes any sense at all to be moderately religious?

TrooperFive

If you're religious, you're religious. There isn't such a thing as different levels of religiousness. If you're religious, you're just as religious (and dumb) as the guy sitting next to you that believes in the same crap as you, but maybe reads his holy book more often.
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled.
~Mark Twain

Solitary

How about the people that belong to the church of reality?  :eek: :biggrin2:
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

TrooperFive

Quote from: Solitary on January 30, 2015, 07:12:52 PM

Wait, when did reality get a church?
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled.
~Mark Twain

AllPurposeAtheist

I dare you to try to kick my xtian girlfriends ass with your logic.. She scares me..  :eek:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Youssuf Ramadan

Quote from: TrooperFive on January 30, 2015, 05:51:45 PM
If you're religious, you're religious. There isn't such a thing as different levels of religiousness. If you're religious, you're just as religious (and dumb) as the guy sitting next to you that believes in the same crap as you, but maybe reads his holy book more often.

In that case, how do you explain the millions of adherents that interpret their scripture in the light of modernity and don't take it literally?

It's all bullshit, certainly, but given the rise in fundamentalism around the world, I'll take moderate religion over extremism any day... in the rather optimistic hope that it's a step on the way to a more secular world.

SGOS

I'm not sure just as dumb.  Hell, they might be more dumb.. or not.  But the moderately religious are like the half sleeping enabling zombies of a dysfunctional family.  They still believe bullshit.  And the bullshit they reject, they repackage as "poetic metaphor".  This makes the fanatics think they are able to distinguish some subtle nuance hidden in the poetic metaphor that the moderates say they deeply respect.

Bullshit still smells like bullshit however, and it's still woo when the moderates believe their "metaphor" enables them to conjure up some sort of elevated spirit vapor that inhabits the aether in the world around them.  So is it dumb when you believe bullshit, or does it ascend you to some higher plane of existence in your imagination?  Personally, I don't think the moderates that like to play "pretend magic" with their imaginations have anything on the fanatics.

Youssuf Ramadan

^^^  That makes quite a lot of sense...  :think:

EDIT: There seem to be a hell of a lot of people who, I would say, believe in 'belief' rather than have any specific knowledge of their chosen brand of woo.  Take your average believer in the USA, for example, and wind the clock back and have them born in Saudi Arabia and they'd be making similar claims about Allah....

the_antithesis

Quote from: Solitary on January 30, 2015, 07:12:52 PM

You mean Our Lady of Silly Buggers?

TrooperFive

Now, if you're a dick because of your beliefs, that's just taking it to a whole new level of idiotness. For example, those Christians that think gays are less than human, and therefore shouldn't have the same human rights as heterosexuals. It's just sick that people think that way because of stupid 2'000 year old fairy tales. And don't even get me started on the unnecessary murder, bloodshed, rape and violence that ISIS has caused. People like this aren't religious, they're just insane.
~Mark Twain

Savior2006

No one is as dumb as a fundy. A "moderate" will only choke on a portion of shit in the Bible. A fundy will choke on it all. Guess which one I prefer?
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano