can commercials change our perception of the past?

Started by aitm, January 31, 2015, 08:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aitm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meQKpdVgEjo

watching this commercial, one modern day person, may think that back in the 40's black people were playing football and driving around with white folk. Do you think even the playful version of this can lead some people to believe that race relations were not as bad back then…kind of like how we will have kids in another 10 years who think Lincoln actually hunted vampires?
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Munch

I'm more concerned about what will happen when children today begin to question why it is Thor's a man in all these old comics when he clearly has tits today.

If my nephews ask this, I'll tell them "Well, theres this evil word called feminism.."
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Atheon

Quote from: Munch on January 31, 2015, 08:43:21 PM
I'm more concerned about what will happen when children today begin to question why it is Thor's a man in all these old comics when he clearly has tits today.
I thought Guanyin was the only transgendered god(dess).

In any case, anachronisms are all part of the joke of that commercial. I mean, they even take a selfie!
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

PickelledEggs

Abraham Lincoln did hunt vampires. Why else would they make a movie about it?

Shiranu

Quote from: Munch on January 31, 2015, 08:43:21 PM

If my nephews ask this, I'll tell them "Well, theres this evil word called feminism.."

Or the truth; that it's two different people.

That isn't a very hard question to answer....
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Jason78

Quote from: PickelledEggs on February 01, 2015, 01:17:16 AM
Abraham Lincoln did hunt vampires. Why else would they make a movie about it?

They couldn't have filmed it unless it actually happened.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

SGOS

I watched that commercial with my sound not plugged in.  Not that it probably made a difference.  The whole thing struck me as blatant.  Blatant how?  I'm not sure.  It did not seem real.  It did create a feeling of "awe look, their having so much fun living in a simpler time."  The girls looked so sweet and innocent, like none of them ever had a sexual thought in their head.  It didn't seem real.

And I actually remember those times in my own past.  In retrospect, that era didn't seem real back then either.  No wonder I felt like I never fit in until the 60s or 70s.  I was living in a culture where we were nothing more than puppets playing our roles as directed by commercials created by corporations or ideological groups.

And to answer the question in the OP, yes any propaganda can make us believe anything.  All you have to do is lie, and someone is going to believe you.  It's that simple.

AllPurposeAtheist

One might think that the facemask for helmets was only made to decorate the helmets themselves having nothing to do with faces getting mashed till players were unrecognizable.
Nostalgia is a seductive liar.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.