News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

LGBT Movies or Short Films

Started by Aletheia, January 26, 2015, 11:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aletheia

Although my current boss is gay, I do at times still feel somewhat isolated or that acceptance fthe LGBT is painstakingly slow here. Normally whenever I feel this way, or want know what the rest of this "community" has been doing, I'll look up movies or cruise youtube. Then the world feels more interconnected and progress more ongoing. I don't feel so alone.

Even when I know someone who is openly gay, I'm still not open about my own sexuality. There are so many things that could go wrong... and to be honest, it does scare me.

So, if anyone else feels this way or have come across some movies or video they really enjoyed, feel free to share them here.

Here's a short film that seems the capture the experience of a closeted teen.

Quote from: Jakenessif you believe in the supernatural, you do not understand modern science. Period.

Munch

I use to try and look for gay themed movies some years ago, in my time of growing anxiety to discovering all the homophobia i read about online around the world, I wanted to find gay love stories to fit in with all the generalized love stories in mainstream media.

The problem I found though was most movies with gay themed love stories in them very rarely end on a happy note, there always are complications or tragedies or deaths in it. We all know how brokeback mountain went, one of the only real mainstream gay loves stories in the last decade in cinemas, but the small screen dvd-blueray ones have the same stuff to it, its always about the struggle of being gay, or someone catching HIV, or abuse from abusive parents or workers when they come out.

I kind of gave up in the end, because it began to feel like those rare diamonds in the rough when you did find a good gay themed movie with a good ending, good storywriting, and one that didn't try to bog you down with messages of 'your gay, life sucks for you deal with it'. talk about projecting from the directors.

One I might recommend, though it isn't overly brilliant, it was a fun romp, is the movie Trick (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0162710/) or for a real good laugh, To Wong Foo Thanks for Everything (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114682/)

I also really enjoyed queer as folk, both as the short lived original UK series, and the more drawn out US version.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Aletheia

Quote from: Munch on January 28, 2015, 08:24:54 PM
I kind of gave up in the end, because it began to feel like those rare diamonds in the rough when you did find a good gay themed movie with a good ending, good storywriting, and one that didn't try to bog you down with messages of 'your gay, life sucks for you deal with it'. talk about projecting from the directors.

They're not all cynical.

This is a rather inspirational one:

Quote from: Jakenessif you believe in the supernatural, you do not understand modern science. Period.

Munch

Yeah it is a nice short, showing the changing times in contrast to times decades ago in how gay people were treated. Still kind of bitter-sweet ending though
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Aletheia

I'd rather take bittersweet than overly cynical.

Yesterday, I made the mistake of watching "Boys Don't Cry" with the only description from friends being "it's a great movie." Immediately, I deduced it was a transgendered movie. Don't get me wrong, it was a great movie, but painfully brutal and well beyond cynical. Not to mention a few of the scenes really agitated my symptoms of PTSD (only got about 2 hours of sleep last night as a result).

I understand that the LGBT community wants to get the point across to the straight community that we struggle immensely and should not be ignored, but when you have a campaign called "It Gets Better," it would be nice to have some movies that shows it getting better.

Thankfully, youtube is full of LGBT posters who don't take themselves seriously and are wonderfully uplifting. It'd be nice if some of them had the means to produce excellent short films with the same positive outlook.

Aletheia

Ok... a LGBT movie that doesn't have tragic ending or the "life sucks" mentality either: