News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

"Evil is just the absence of god"

Started by Navynukeman, March 02, 2013, 05:27:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BarkAtTheMoon

Quote from: "Navynukeman"
Quote"I would have thought that the absence of God's moral code in this world is probably one of the most observable phenomena going," the Christian replies. "Newspapers make billions of dollars reporting it every week! Tell me, professor. Do you teach your students that they evolved from a monkey?

QuoteThe Christian looks around the room. "Some interesting points you are making, sir. Now I've got a question for you. Is there such thing as heat?"

"Yes," the professor replies. "There's heat."

"Is there such a thing as cold?"

"Yes, son, there's cold too."

"No, sir, there isn't."

The professor's grin freezes. The room suddenly goes very cold.

The second Christian continues. "You can have lots of heat, even more heat, super-heat, mega-heat, white heat, a little heat or no heat but we don't have anything called 'cold'. We can hit 458 degrees below zero, which is no heat, but we can't go any further after that. There is no such thing as cold, otherwise we would be able to go colder than 458 - You see, sir, cold is only a word we use to describe the absence of heat. Because heat is energy. Cold is not the opposite of heat, sir, just..," [Silence fills the room] "...the absence of it." [More silence. A pin drops somewhere in the classroom.] "Is there such a thing as darkness, professor?"

Oh FFS, that old story? That's been floating around the internet for years and it's typical proselytizing bullshit to make evil science and higher education look bad. The original this is based on was attributed to Albert Einstein being the student. http://www.snopes.com/religion/einstein.asp

It's little more than a semantics game. Cold and darkness do exist, they're simply colloquially defined relative to a standard norm. Scientifically, they may have no real meaning, but like some douchebag Christian would be using that to make a point.
"When you landed on the moon, that was the point when God should have come up and said hello. Because if you invent some creatures and you put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, then you fucking turn up and say, 'Well done.' It's just a polite thing to do." - Eddie Izzard

seanfish

There is also no such thing as ignorance, just the complete lack of scientific knowledge. Humans have attempted for centuries to reach absolute ignorance without success. The closest we've ever gotten was through the literal interpretation of the bible.

Farroc

There's no such thing as nothing.
"The idea of getting a, y\'know, syringe full of heroin and shooting it in the vein under my cock right now seems like almost a productive act." -Bill Hicks

aitm

I don't get to run into to many of those nuts but on the three or so times someone starts spouting science to back up the idea of god I usually start off with, "you're going to try to use science to proove god but I can't use science to destroy the babble? I don't think so, if your god knows science he knows damn well the moon is not a star, the sky is not water you cannot roll the sky up like a scroll and there is no damn dragon living in the center of the earth somewhere that can gather one third of the stars with his tail and fling them to earth. Wanna try something else?"
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Atheon

I can't stand these "Christian vs. Professor" stories, because they're smug, made-up bullshit designed to make academia look bad. They always feature some arrogant know-it-all professor who gets humiliated by some (unintentionally!) smarmy Christian student, and they're packed with fallacies.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

St Giordano Bruno

If I could ever attach the label "evil" to anything it would be  "ignorance" and "lies" two attributes the Christian religion is rife with.
Voltaire - "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities"

Brian37

I fucking hate how theists have free reign to say whatever fucking naked assertion they want and we are expected to remain silent. At work on Sunday the kitchen radio is on and plays religious music, and I want to fucking scream "IF I SING A SONG ABOUT ALLAH DOES THAT MAKE ALLAH REAL?" But no, I have to keep my mouth shut out of fear of losing my job.

I'm not the one postulating an invisible friend. Seriously, this shit pisses me off, it is like getting angry at someone who tells you the earth is not flat. If our species never questioned social norms our species never would have left the caves.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

BarkAtTheMoon

Quote from: "Brian37"I fucking hate how theists have free reign to say whatever fucking naked assertion they want and we are expected to remain silent. At work on Sunday the kitchen radio is on and plays religious music, and I want to fucking scream "IF I SING A SONG ABOUT ALLAH DOES THAT MAKE ALLAH REAL?" But no, I have to keep my mouth shut out of fear of losing my job.

Tell them you heard of a band called Lamb of God that sounds like a nice Christian group that you want to listen to.

[youtube:1le8nudi]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqdZpxkzNvc[/youtube:1le8nudi]
"When you landed on the moon, that was the point when God should have come up and said hello. Because if you invent some creatures and you put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, then you fucking turn up and say, 'Well done.' It's just a polite thing to do." - Eddie Izzard

Hakurei Reimu

I would have simply said, "Sir, I don't want to hear any obviously apocryphal stories about nameless professors arguing with nameless students, and being the customer, I'm always right. Let's talk about Top Gear UK, instead."

And yes, those stories are apocryphal, because any professor worth his salt would find the student's arguments childish and easy enough to counter. They bear the imprimatur of fuzzy Christian apologist lies, fit only for the gullible, not anyone with any actual grounding on the subject discussed.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Minimalist

Quote from: "FrankDK"> The shithead probably thinks Noah loaded up an ark and you expect to have a rational conversation with him?

That was Noah and his wife: Joan of Ark.  (Polls show that between 7 and 15% of Christians believe Joan of Arc was Noah's wife.)

Frank

=D>

Bravo.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken