Author Topic: "Rape pregnancies are rare"  (Read 8119 times)

Offline Thumpalumpacus

Re: Re:
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2013, 12:25:16 AM »
Quote from: "Poison Tree"
Why should this specific quote (or those two specific quotes) about pregnancy from rape be quarantined and only viewed in strict isolation instead of being viewed as part of a larger attempt by many Republicans to minimize rape? Especially when this comment was made while Celeste Greig was trying to distance himself from unpopular comments on rape, specifically Tod Akins'--this is a Republican trying to show a kinder, gentler side regarding rape.

Because that is what you did upthread when they imputed that view to all Republicans, I had thought.  "These statements" read to me as if you were referring to this specific claim of violent rape is a view held by the general body of Republicans:

Quote from: "In his OP, Poison Tree"
How many of these statements are needed before this stops being individual republicans making miss-statements or poor word choices and is instead seen as a scientifically illiterate, anti-woman viewpoint which is systemic in the Republican party?

In context, it looks as if you are clearly imputing this stupid view to the mass of Republicans -- or at least asking your readers to do that for you.

I'm not arguing that the Republican party is concerned about women's issues.  As I've said already, I think they're clearly not.  But -- I don't think it's any more right to impute this sort of stupidity to Republicans than it is to impute Sen. Feinstein's antipathy to the 2nd Amendment to the body of Democrats.
<insert witty aphorism here>

Re: Re:
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2013, 01:06:02 AM »
Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"
Quote from: "Poison Tree"
Why should this specific quote (or those two specific quotes) about pregnancy from rape be quarantined and only viewed in strict isolation instead of being viewed as part of a larger attempt by many Republicans to minimize rape? Especially when this comment was made while Celeste Greig was trying to distance himself from unpopular comments on rape, specifically Tod Akins'--this is a Republican trying to show a kinder, gentler side regarding rape.

Because that is what you did upthread when they imputed that view to all Republicans, I had thought.  "These statements" read to me as if you were referring to this specific claim of violent rape is a view held by the general body of Republicans:

Quote from: "In his OP, Poison Tree"
How many of these statements are needed before this stops being individual republicans making miss-statements or poor word choices and is instead seen as a scientifically illiterate, anti-woman viewpoint which is systemic in the Republican party?

In context, it looks as if you are clearly imputing this stupid view to the mass of Republicans -- or at least asking your readers to do that for you.

I'm not arguing that the Republican party is concerned about women's issues.  As I've said already, I think they're clearly not.  But -- I don't think it's any more right to impute this sort of stupidity to Republicans than it is to impute Sen. Feinstein's antipathy to the 2nd Amendment to the body of Democrats.
I can see room for confusion with the way I worded my first post, but certainly my second one must have made it clear that I was referring to a broader range of Republican rape comments, yes?
And I still say that antipathy (or, at least, apathy--even unfriendly apathy) to the 2nd Amendment  is a view with significant support among liberals, just as I maintain that views on rape reflected in the soundbites I mentioned in my second post enjoy significant support among Republicans.
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk