News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

"Rape pregnancies are rare"

Started by Valigarmander, March 02, 2013, 12:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "Poison Tree"Why should this specific quote (or those two specific quotes) about pregnancy from rape be quarantined and only viewed in strict isolation instead of being viewed as part of a larger attempt by many Republicans to minimize rape? Especially when this comment was made while Celeste Greig was trying to distance himself from unpopular comments on rape, specifically Tod Akins'--this is a Republican trying to show a kinder, gentler side regarding rape.

Because that is what you did upthread when they imputed that view to all Republicans, I had thought.  "These statements" read to me as if you were referring to this specific claim of violent rape is a view held by the general body of Republicans:

Quote from: "In his OP, Poison Tree"How many of these statements are needed before this stops being individual republicans making miss-statements or poor word choices and is instead seen as a scientifically illiterate, anti-woman viewpoint which is systemic in the Republican party?

In context, it looks as if you are clearly imputing this stupid view to the mass of Republicans -- or at least asking your readers to do that for you.

I'm not arguing that the Republican party is concerned about women's issues.  As I've said already, I think they're clearly not.  But -- I don't think it's any more right to impute this sort of stupidity to Republicans than it is to impute Sen. Feinstein's antipathy to the 2nd Amendment to the body of Democrats.
<insert witty aphorism here>

Poison Tree

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"
Quote from: "Poison Tree"Why should this specific quote (or those two specific quotes) about pregnancy from rape be quarantined and only viewed in strict isolation instead of being viewed as part of a larger attempt by many Republicans to minimize rape? Especially when this comment was made while Celeste Greig was trying to distance himself from unpopular comments on rape, specifically Tod Akins'--this is a Republican trying to show a kinder, gentler side regarding rape.

Because that is what you did upthread when they imputed that view to all Republicans, I had thought.  "These statements" read to me as if you were referring to this specific claim of violent rape is a view held by the general body of Republicans:

Quote from: "In his OP, Poison Tree"How many of these statements are needed before this stops being individual republicans making miss-statements or poor word choices and is instead seen as a scientifically illiterate, anti-woman viewpoint which is systemic in the Republican party?

In context, it looks as if you are clearly imputing this stupid view to the mass of Republicans -- or at least asking your readers to do that for you.

I'm not arguing that the Republican party is concerned about women's issues.  As I've said already, I think they're clearly not.  But -- I don't think it's any more right to impute this sort of stupidity to Republicans than it is to impute Sen. Feinstein's antipathy to the 2nd Amendment to the body of Democrats.
I can see room for confusion with the way I worded my first post, but certainly my second one must have made it clear that I was referring to a broader range of Republican rape comments, yes?
And I still say that antipathy (or, at least, apathy--even unfriendly apathy) to the 2nd Amendment  is a view with significant support among liberals, just as I maintain that views on rape reflected in the soundbites I mentioned in my second post enjoy significant support among Republicans.
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide