News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

6 years..

Started by mainethinker, January 20, 2015, 09:52:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mainethinker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sza5NfKBMuI
none of the videos posted in this thread are made by me.
Dandong china has a bridge that i cross day after day

Desdinova

Dude, are you actually in North Korea?
"How long will we be
Waiting, for your modern messiah
To take away all the hatred
That darkens the light in your eye"
  -Disturbed, Liberate

mainethinker

Sal1981

a lot of rhetoric about "believing lies" or something, didn't really pay attention to most of it, sorry. N. Korea leadership is  a basket case, and trying to defend that, IMO, is commendable, but not for the reasons you would think I mean.

mainethinker

Quote from: Sal1981 on January 21, 2015, 02:11:34 AM
sorry. N. Korea leadership is  a basket case

says who? the media? the UN?  that's a logical fallacy... appeal to authority...

Sal1981

Quote from: mainethinker on January 21, 2015, 02:30:40 AM
says who? the media? the UN?  that's a logical fallacy... appeal to authority...
Fallacy fallacy. Where do I point to an authority of N. Korea being a basket case? That's merely a stated opinion.

If you want to know why I think they're a basket case, well, the escaped convict from their prison camps; particuarly the famous Shin Dong-hyuk from camp 14, gives a colourful view of how the hermit Stalinist regime is ordered. Not my only source though, a BBC documentary with Lyse Doucet comes to mind where they were paraded around the country under strict guard and visiting bountiful harvest of the citizens and quickly passing the devoid countryside.

Really, anyone defending N. Korea's leadership should check their own facts before teaching others about the glorious N. Korea Communist regime.

mainethinker

mainethinker

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/18/asia/north-korea-defector-changes-story/

North Korean prison camp survivor admits inaccuracies, author says
(CNN)Shin Dong-hyuk's horrific descriptions of his time in a North Korean prison camp became a best-selling book, made him a key witness before the United Nations and grabbed headlines around the world.

He was one of the most high-profile North Korean defectors, winning several human rights awards and inspiring a documentary as his memoir was translated into 27 languages.

Now the publisher of the book and its author say Shin -- who claims to have been born in and escaped from a North Korean prison camp -- has revealed that parts of the story he told weren't true. Shin may have spent most of his life in North Korea at a different prison camp, rather than the total control zone that formed the title of his biography.

Shin's accounts of his time in the gulag have been widely reported in interviews with media including CNN. He also wrote an opinion piece describing his experiences for CNN Digital.

Don't discount N. Korean stories after defector's recanting, advocates say
Blaine Harden, author of the book "Escape from Camp 14," said in a statement on his website over the weekend that Shin had changed "key parts of his story."

"On Friday, Jan. 16, I learned that Shin Dong-hyuk, the North Korean prison camp survivor who is the subject of 'Escape from Camp 14,' had told friends an account of his life that differed substantially from my book," Harden said. "I contacted Shin, pressing him to detail the changes and explain why he had misled me."

mainethinker

Sal1981

Quote from: mainethinker on January 21, 2015, 05:40:54 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P82aad8QQW4
So far all I've seen is uncorroborated eye witness evidence. It's isn't a far stretch of the imagination this is Stasi-level propaganda by the N. Korean regime. I wouldn't take anything said by people under duress at face value. But once, if ever, N. Korea ever opens up its borders (why is that, you might wonder ...?) and let's WHO and other inspectors to survey the country that we'll really know anything. Until such time, this is just stupid character assassination.

pr126

The question is, mainthethinker, would you want to live there?

Desdinova

I really think you need to ditch the suit for a Dr. Evil type uniform.  And maybe a cat.
"How long will we be
  -Disturbed, Liberate

Desdinova

Quote from: pr126 on January 21, 2015, 08:52:13 AM
The question is, mainthethinker, would you want to live there?

His profile says he is.  But, I seriously doubt North Korea would let anyone post on youtube.
"How long will we be
  -Disturbed, Liberate

Shiranu

I want to watch the videos for the lawlz, but I have money to make and university to attend. Ah well...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

mainethinker

i feel sad today.. i am low on cash.. i could ride the bus to the beach tomorrow but its too cold to go swimming.

its like 11:30 PM.

i am going to bed.

this photo is mine