News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

A hypothetical situation

Started by SNP1, January 18, 2015, 11:00:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SNP1

This is all hypothetical.

You are given knowledge, which is proven to be accurate (somehow), that one of Earth's many organized (theistic) religions is correct.

Do you choose to join a religion?
Yes- Which one and why?
No- Why not?
"My only agenda, if one can call it that, is the pursuit of truth" ~AoSS

hrdlr110

Proof is what keeps me from joining one at the moment, so I guess the answer is yes, I would join one. The proof would need to be specific enough to tell me which one, but since it's your "hypothetical" it's your rules. I'd put three religions in a hat and pick one. The three would be ones that I pulled from the bigger hat that contained all the religions in the history of mankind since I see all of them as being equally viable.  Then I'd sit back and wait for the rapture.
Q for theists; how can there be freewill and miracles? And, how can prayer exist in an environment as regimented as "gods plan"?

"I'm a polyatheist, there are many gods I don't believe in." - Dan Fouts

dtq123

If there is a religion, than which one is right?

If I don't have that knowledge, then I might as well have remained as an atheist.

In one religion I join, there will be countless religions against me, so I would rather be in a limbo of darkness than reach for a delusional light.

Edit: Yes, I would rather throw away all hope in a "heaven." Hell sound decent anyway, since Darwin is going to be there. Only absolute proof in one religion would convince me to convert.
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

SNP1

Quote from: dtq123 on January 18, 2015, 11:23:02 PM
If there is a religion, than which one is right?

If I don't have that knowledge, then I might as well have remained as an atheist.

In one religion I join, there will be countless religions against me, so I would rather be in a limbo of darkness than reach for a delusional light.

Edit: Yes, I would rather throw away all hope in a "heaven." Hell sound decent anyway, since Darwin is going to be there. Only absolute proof in one religion would convince me to convert.

You would be an atheist even if you had proof that one of them was correct?

GSOgymrat

It depends on the religion. Let's say Scientology is real. Human beings are possessed by the souls of extraterrestrials who were condemned to planet Earth 75 million years ago by the galactic overload Xenu. These aliens were shuttled by the billions to our planet aboard a spacecraft resembling a DC-8. They were then imprisoned in a volcano and blasted to bits with hydrogen bombs. Their souls survived and disentangling them from our own souls takes a lifetime of work but can be accomplished by the Church of Scientology for a very large sum of money. This is what Scientologists believe.

If I was presented with evidence that this was all true, and I completely believed this was real, I would not spend my time and paycheck trying to disentangle the alien souls from my own. I would just accept that this was the nature of what I was, a corrupted soul, and live my life as best I could.

Mr.Obvious

No. I would not if i did not know which one. With all The religions and cults existing today and all those that have existed in The past and perhaps even those that would exist in The future i would have next to zero chance of picking The right one.
Any ritual of prayer of other nonsensical action i performed would still be done without conviction. So i fail to see The point. At least This way, if i were to die and meet my maker i could still be honest with myself and say that i did not have ample evidence to chose The right religion. Any god that doesnt understand that deserves no praise.

Edit: on that last note; there are quite a lot of religions i would not join even if i knew them to be true. Most often due to the immorality of their god(s).
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

aitm

Quote from: SNP1 on January 18, 2015, 11:00:44 PM

You are given knowledge, which is proven to be accurate (somehow), that one of Earth's many organized (theistic) religions is correct.

Yes- Which one and why?
No- Why not?

Firstly, you have a problem. How do you present knowledge that can dispel known history? History has shown that religions, as described by their respective texts, have not lived up to the promises, so the only thing you can do is to suggest that knowledge may lead to a benign creator that has no interest in humans or in humanity. This is not problematic as a benign creator is not a "god".
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Solitary

The only religion that is right, with evidence to support it, is the Church of Reality!  :super: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

dtq123

Quote from: SNP1 on January 18, 2015, 11:29:37 PM
You would be an atheist even if you had proof that one of them was correct?
You never told me which one was the real one, so how should I know?

Technically, I wouldn't be an atheist. I would be a deist, but my life wouldn't change much. I simply can't say there is no god.

And no, Pascal's Wager is not going to convince me to join a religion.  :fU:  :eyes:
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

SNP1

Quote from: dtq123 on January 19, 2015, 11:16:48 AM
You never told me which one was the real one, so how should I know?

Technically, I wouldn't be an atheist. I would be a deist, but my life wouldn't change much. I simply can't say there is no god.

And no, Pascal's Wager is not going to convince me to join a religion.  :fU:  :eyes:

Wasn't planning on convincing you of anything. One of my friends who is a philosophy major said that this is a question his professor asked for atheists to answer (I do not remember what the question for theists was).

Jason78

Yes- Which one and why?
No- Why not?

Could I hypothetically start my own religion?
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

La Dolce Vita

Yes- Which one and why?
No- Why not?

Ok, your post was very confusing at first, but now I think I understand. You're saying that I'd get proof showing that one of the theistic religions is somehow right - but without the evidence in any way implying which one it is?

In this scenario of course I wouldn't join one. It would be remarkably silly, and a sign of really bad logic. Why just throw myself into a most likely incorrect religion? No, I'd still need concrete evidence of which specific religion it was in order for me to believe in it.

Furthermore, it would take more than it being true for me to join. If I deemed the religion to be immoral, which all theistic religions I'm familiar with are in my view, I couldn't betray my moral judgement, and would have to oppose it. The "correct theistic religion" would have to convince me that it's tenants are in fact moral, supportable and an advantage to the world in order for me to join.

Sal1981

No, I would not. No god is worthy of worship that creates a world with this much suffering.

Hydra009

If one of those was proven to be correct (a highly unlikely scenario), then I would recognize that as the truth and adjust accordingly, as I'd imagine any intellectually honest person would.  But taking part in services is a whole different story.  Presumably, whichever god we're assuming to be real can hear you no matter where you are, so there's no pragmatic reason to attend.  I'm not one for the pageantry of religion, so there goes the only other reason to attend.

The funny thing is, that if a god really did exist, the institution of religion would be totally unnecessary.  Want to talk to god?  He's right over there.

doorknob

Even if the Abrahamic god were real I would not worship him in any form. Sorry but he's an asshole. (So then yes in that case guess I'm going to hell.)

If it were some other religion like wicca or something I'd probably look into it to see if that god or gods were worth worshiping as well. If they turn out to be assholes that I wouldn't worship them either. I have a no asshole gods personality.