Science Section > Science General Discussion

Rats Connected by Mind Link a la Borg

(1/2) > >>

_Xenu_:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-575 ... -internet/

NitzWalsh:
I'll pass on hooking up to that thing.

Hydra009:
Seen the story before, with mixed reactions.  Some dispute the validity of the experiment (7/10 is not exactly a stellar result) and there's lots of sadly predictable knee-jerking about this regarding alleged animal cruelty (/le sigh) and fears of some sort of dystopia coming out of this.

Still, I'm proud of my state for taking part in this sort of research.  Brain interfacing is an important area of research.  Progress here has enormous potential benefits and may turn "meeting of the minds" into a much more literal phrase.   :)

But, as always...run more tests!  MOAR TESTS!

Plu:
Looks fascinating. I'm not sure how relevant the 7/10 number is, I guess it'd have to be compared to the normal odds of success. But I'd assume the scientists thought of that and have it in their research ;)

Hydra009:

--- Quote from: "Plu" ---I'm not sure how relevant the 7/10 number is, I guess it'd have to be compared to the normal odds of success
--- End quote ---
Normal is 5/10.  Both rats were trained to push one of two levers based on a light signal over the correct lever.  Could be from the decoder receiving an unclear message - the article states that when the decoder picked the wrong one and the encoder didn't get its treat, the encoder was much more clear in its choice the next time around and the encoder was more likely to push the correct lever.

In any case, it got similar results with another experiment, so it's probably not a fluke.

--- Quote ---But I'd assume the scientists thought of that and have it in their research ;)
--- End quote ---
One would hope so.  The full report should make for interesting reading.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version