Previous topic - Next topic

Brian37

Quote from: SNP1 on January 10, 2015, 09:44:29 PM
Many theists say that atheism has many presuppositions:
1) No free will
2) Materialism
3) uncaused effects
4) many many more.

Now, what presuppositions are there for atheism?
Only one.
It might be possible that the universe can exist without a god.

Take it with a grain of salt, they also have invisible friends so to lecture us on what we presume is absurd.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

the_antithesis

Now, what presuppositions are there for atheism?
Only one.
It might be possible that the universe can exist without a god.

What's a god?

Solitary

Is a stupid rock falling off a cliff responsible for killing a baby in a carriage? Of course it is, just like OJ doing what he did. The idea that you have to have freewill to be responsible is bogus. The law should be about protecting society not punishing people for emotional reasons just like the ones that do a crime. Only religion can come up with freewill and justifying retribution for sin. Cause and effect doesn't mean this caused that, it means a history of events cause this and that. There was an old man that developed a brain tumor and became a pedophile, was he responsible for what he did? Yes, but and should be punished? He had the tumor removed and was no longer a threat to children. It's the animal and emotions in us that causes threats to society that make us responsible, and why the law should be about protecting society by removing our actions based on emotional physical retribution, in my opinion. Isn't this what it means to be mature and civilized---to control ones emotions so one does not do harm.  :think: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: PickelledEggs on January 11, 2015, 12:37:01 AM
The only thing atheism is, is the the lack of belief of god and religion. Period. All other philosophies and bullshit has nothing necessarily to do with it.

Thank you. I don't know why this is so hard for some people to understand.

Munch

Quote from: GSOgymrat on January 12, 2015, 05:09:44 PM
Thank you. I don't know why this is so hard for some people to understand.

Because to such people, the idea of there not being a god is not even a possibility, like breathing. And so when they are confronted by someone who doesn't believe, they either think the person is playing a joke on them, or trying to wind them up, and some even react like a cornered animal at such a differing aspect. Its not just a belief to some people, its so ingrained in there psych their brains might explode trying to understand it. Every thought will always come back to 'but god done it' 
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Munch on January 12, 2015, 05:28:00 PM
Because to such people, the idea of there not being a god is not even a possibility, like breathing. And so when they are confronted by someone who doesn't believe, they either think the person is playing a joke on them, or trying to wind them up, and some even react like a cornered animal at such a differing aspect. Its not just a belief to some people, its so ingrained in there psych their brains might explode trying to understand it. Every thought will always come back to 'but god done it' 
The thing is.... even many atheists think there is more things attached to being an atheist than just not believing in god. I was at a party the other day and I was talking to someone that was saying something similar.... that he isn't an atheists. But because I knew from earlier conversations, he didn't believe in a god. His assumptions that atheists have more philosophy than just not believing in a god made him, an atheist, think that he wasn't an atheist.

Honestly, I don't really care if someone calls them self a duck, but if a person doesn't believe in gods, they're an atheist whether they want to be called one because of the stigma attached to it or not.

Munch

Quote from: PickelledEggs on January 12, 2015, 05:36:14 PM
The thing is.... even many atheists think there is more things attached to being an atheist than just not believing in god. I was at a party the other day and I was talking to someone that was saying something similar.... that he isn't an atheists. But because I knew from earlier conversations, he didn't believe in a god. His assumptions that atheists have more philosophy than just not believing in a god made him, an atheist, think that he wasn't an atheist.

Honestly, I don't really care if someone calls them self a duck, but if a person doesn't believe in gods, they're an atheist whether they want to be called one because of the stigma attached to it or not.

I've heard people use that same argument with there sexuality, they can't just be decided on one, they can't just be gay, straight, bi or pansexual, it not trendy enough and don't want a 'label' over there identity.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Munch on January 12, 2015, 06:16:04 PM
I've heard people use that same argument with there sexuality, they can't just be decided on one, they can't just be gay, straight, bi or pansexual, it not trendy enough and don't want a 'label' over there identity.
I've actually don't remember ever hearing the term pansexual before. You learn something every day.
But yeah. It's not a matter of labels, it's just that it....  Is. If you don't believe in God, you're an atheist. And it's as simple as that.

Sent from your mom.

Faisal

Atheist presuppositions?
Atheism is not incompatible with an appreciation of the Divine. All too often a superficial, theist belief in God may be no more than an idolatrous image of thought that obscures the true Divine.

QuoteMany theists say that atheism has many presuppositions:
1) No free will
2) Materialism
3) uncaused effects
4) many many more.
Only one.It might be possible that the universe can exist without a god.
I am inclined to think that all Theist faiths are more prone to this idolatry. That is one reason why I find Buddhist and Taoist conceptions of the divine so appealing.

Faisal

Faisal

Quote from: PickelledEggs on January 11, 2015, 12:37:01 AM
Now on the OP, which theists are saying this? I have not heard some of these said from any theists. For instance, I have never heard a theist say that atheism means no free will. I have heard the opposite, that atheists must think that "anything goes" but never that we have no free will.
Free will is really not incompatible with quantum determinacy.

Faisal

Quote from: SNP1 on January 10, 2015, 10:23:35 PM
Most theists seem to say that you must propose uncaused effects in order to counter the Kalam Cosmological Argument.
If thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee; Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. <-2>Matthew ch.5 v.23-24<0>

Hydra009

Quote from: Faisal on January 13, 2015, 11:56:35 AM
Atheism is not incompatible with an appreciation of the Divine.
Depends on what you mean by "the Divine".  If it's a god of any sort, then it is incompatible by definition.

Faisal

Quote from: SGOS on January 11, 2015, 07:30:00 AM
I do picture a bunch of Christians nodding their heads in total agreement with him, even Christians devoid of comprehension skills.  I picture them nodding knowingly, but I have to wonder if any of them understand him.
Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. <-2>Proverbs ch.3 v.5<0>

GrinningYMIR

I don't give trust unless it is earned
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit