Started by SNP1, January 10, 2015, 09:44:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SNP1

Many theists say that atheism has many presuppositions:
1) No free will
2) Materialism
3) uncaused effects
4) many many more.

Now, what presuppositions are there for atheism?
Only one.
It might be possible that the universe can exist without a god.
"My only agenda, if one can call it that, is the pursuit of truth" ~AoSS

Jason78

Many theists say a lot of stuff.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

MagetheEntertainer

I think most Atheist would say its most likely that there is not a God, or atleast not a theistic god, rather than "It might be possible that the universe can exist without a god."  I would attribute that more to someone who is agnostic rather than Atheist since its a more on the fence position.

SNP1

Quote from: MagetheEntertainer on January 10, 2015, 09:51:19 PM
I think most Atheist would say its most likely that there is not a God, or atleast not a theistic god, rather than "It might be possible that the universe can exist without a god."  I would attribute that more to someone who is agnostic rather than Atheist since its a more on the fence position.

It is the minimum level that an atheist must take as a presupposition. I say that thanks to Lawrence Krauss (his book "A Universe from Nothing") that the presupposition of atheism is supported.

SNP1

SGOS

Quote from: SNP1 on January 10, 2015, 09:44:29 PM
Many theists say that atheism has many presuppositions:
1) No free will

Given the frequency this is debated on atheist forums, it certainly doesn't seem like a universal atheist supposition.

QuoteMaterialism

Check the Vatican for its position on materialism.

Quoteuncaused effects

This is a fundamentalist issue, not an atheist one.  Fundamentalists demand an uncaused effect to explain god.  Most atheists do not demand uncaused effects.

SNP1

Quote from: SGOS on January 10, 2015, 10:10:46 PM
This is a fundamentalist issue, not an atheist one.  Fundamentalists demand an uncaused effect to explain god.  Most atheists do not demand uncaused effects.

Most theists seem to say that you must propose uncaused effects in order to counter the Kalam Cosmological Argument.

dtq123

A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

PickelledEggs

The only thing atheism is, is the the lack of belief of god and religion. Period. All other philosophies and bullshit has nothing necessarily to do with it.

Now on the OP, which theists are saying this? I have not heard some of these said from any theists. For instance, I have never heard a theist say that atheism means no free will. I have heard the opposite, that atheists must think that "anything goes" but never that we have no free will.

Where are you getting this "information" from?

Hydra009

Quote from: PickelledEggs on January 11, 2015, 12:37:01 AMNow on the OP, which theists are saying this? I have not heard some of these said from any theists. For instance, I have never heard a theist say that atheism means no free will. I have heard the opposite, that atheists must think that "anything goes" but never that we have no free will.
NSFL, but remember, you asked for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QU24WlHen0

Money shot is at 2:32.

Basically, the argument goes that if we're all "just" atoms, then free will doesn't exist.  Free will is desirable.  Therefore, Christianity is true.

It's actually a fairly common objection to atheism among religious apologists second only to the whole "anything goes" spiel, which is used so frequently that it might as well be a macro command.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 11, 2015, 01:58:43 AM
NSFL, but remember, you asked for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QU24WlHen0

Money shot is at 2:32.

Basically, the argument goes that if we're all "just" atoms, then free will doesn't exist.  Free will is desirable.  Therefore, Christianity is true.

It's actually a fairly common objection to atheism among religious apologists second only to the whole "anything goes" spiel, which is used so frequently that it might as well be a macro command.
Lol just when you think you've seen all stupidity possible, there is more out there. Good heads up, I never heard that one before.

Needless to say, I retract my previous statement... :lol:

What does NSFL mean btw?

Hydra009

Not Safe For Life (prolonged exposure will mess you up in the head)  I give it out before posting graphic violence, reality TV clips, and religious apologetics.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 11, 2015, 02:12:44 AM
Not Safe For Life (prolonged exposure will mess you up in the head)  I give it out before posting graphic violence, reality TV clips, and religious apologetics.
I'm so behind in terminology.... I really need to have urban dictionary up at all times....

SGOS

Usually, I can follow an argument, even when I don't believe it's valid, but I couldn't follow Dr. Fernandez at all.  I could recognize a argumentative format when he would say, "If an atheist claims [something], then [something] follows".   The "If/Then" format signals a process of logical deduction is about to begin, and gains my attention.  It gives me hope for ensuing thoughtful discourse that inspires thoughtful consideration, but I was unable to grasp how his "ifs" lead to his "thens".  Then I lost interest and brushed it off.  If he wants me to understand, he's going to have to rephrase it or something.

I do picture a bunch of Christians nodding their heads in total agreement with him, even Christians devoid of comprehension skills.  I picture them nodding knowingly, but I have to wonder if any of them understand him.

It's frustrating because I sensed isolated snippets of clarity, agreement, and fragments of coherence shot gunned into various phrases.  I felt like I was on the verge of understanding something, but everything taken together fails to gel into a coherent whole.

Munch

Quote from: Jason78 on January 10, 2015, 09:50:45 PM
Many theists say a lot of shit.
Forgive me, I had to correct that.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin