Radical cleric Abu Hamza jailed for life by US court

Started by Youssuf Ramadan, January 09, 2015, 04:31:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Youssuf Ramadan

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-30754959

QuoteRadical cleric Abu Hamza jailed for life by US court

Radical Muslim cleric Abu Hamza al-Masri has been sentenced to life in prison by a court in New York for supporting terrorism.

He was convicted in May of multiple charges, including hostage-taking and plotting to set up a terrorism training camp in the US.

His trial followed a lengthy extradition process from the UK.

During the sentencing, his lawyers asked the judge to take into account his missing hands and eye.

They also argued a plan to imprison Abu Hamza in Colorado's Supermax federal prison would violate assurances the US made to judges in London to secure his 2012 extradition.

Prosecutors argued on Friday that the US government had never made such a promise to the UK and life in prison was the only appropriate sentence.

Judge Katherine Forrest called Abu Hamza's actions "barbaric" and "misguided" and said she was sentencing him to life because she could not think of a time when it would be safe to release him.

She added she would leave the decision where he would spend his imprisonment to federal prison officials.

*click link for more*

Well played USA for having the balls and wit to do what Britain's clueless judiciary should have done years ago.   :clap:

Shiranu

Good for us, except I have one problem...

Will he be around other prisoners who won't by spending their life around him? If so, this is giving him a great opportunity to spread his message to pissed off criminals who will one day be out of prison. That doesn't tend to work out very well, be it Islam related or gang, ethnic bigotry, etc. related.

Hopefully he is isolated to only other life in jail inmates.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Youssuf Ramadan

Quote from: Shiranu on January 09, 2015, 04:40:25 PM
Good for us, except I have one problem...

Will he be around other prisoners who won't by spending their life around him? If so, this is giving him a great opportunity to spread his message to pissed off criminals who will one day be out of prison. That doesn't tend to work out very well, be it Islam related or gang, ethnic bigotry, etc. related.

Hopefully he is isolated to only other life in jail inmates.

Personally, I'd like to see the bastard six feet under, but it's not my call.  Better in prison than out is about where it is for me right now.  I don't know much about supermax prisons - are they for lifers, or a particular type of criminal?  Would a fuckstick like Hamza be likely to get an audience in a place like that?

EDIT - don't an overwhelming percentage of prison inmates fap to Jeebus anyway?....  :think:

Shiranu

Quote from: Youssuf Ramadan on January 09, 2015, 04:46:53 PM
Personally, I'd like to see the bastard six feet under, but it's not my call.  Better in prison than out is about where it is for me right now.  I don't know much about supermax prisons - are they for lifers, or a particular type of criminal?  Would a fuckstick like Hamza be likely to get an audience in a place like that?

EDIT - don't an overwhelming percentage of prison inmates fap to Jeebus anyway?....  :think:

There are always people willing to listen to a nutjob in prison. And yeah, I have no idea about supermax prisons clientèle.

The Jesus bit is what scares me, because it shows they are clearly open to religious ideology as a means of escape or forgiveness for what they did.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

dtq123

Quote from: Shiranu on January 09, 2015, 04:56:03 PM
There are always people willing to listen to a nutjob in prison. And yeah, I have no idea about supermax prisons clientèle.

The Jesus bit is what scares me, because it shows they are clearly open to religious ideology as a means of escape or forgiveness for what they did.

"Jesus solves everything" :fU:
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

Munch

Our justice system fucking blows over here in the UK, we had to have this asshole sent over to america to have an actual sentence given.

That said, I believe there are more screwballs living in america then in the uk, for every ukip supporter here, america is three times as many republicans. 
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

SGOS

It's good to hear about a judicial success for once.  I hope his sentence isn't commuted or thrown out on a technicality.