How would you all feel about the idea of an atheistic fiction.

Started by tristan9811, January 06, 2015, 09:00:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tristan9811

I've written a book call the unwilling soldier which is a young adult fiction which follows a group of children imbued with powers from ancient religious artifacts implanted into their bodies during pregnancy. These religious artifacts are  in fact ancient technological advances from a highly advanced race of human, who lived far before man. They did not expand due to a molecular defect that caused there bodies to dissipate if more than 54,000 of them  the inhabited earth at the same time. The story would follow them as they battle the Russian who with one other, seemingly, immortal being, is the basis for satin, god, achiles, zeus, hector of troy, hercules, and ect.

AllPurposeAtheist

All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Hydra009

Quote from: tristan9811 on January 06, 2015, 09:00:44 PMI've written a book call the unwilling soldier which is a young adult fiction which follows a group of children imbued with powers from ancient religious artifacts implanted into their bodies
Okay...

Quoteduring pregnancy.
...and you lost me.

QuoteThese religious artifacts are in fact ancient technological advances from a highly advanced race of human, who lived far before man.
So how did the existence of a high tech civilization go unnoticed by archaeologists?  And why are their religious artifacts the only things left behind?

QuoteThey did not expand due to a molecular defect that caused there bodies to dissipate if more than 54,000 of them the inhabited earth at the same time.
*cringes*

I strongly suggest coming up with a different explanation.  That one makes absolutely no sense.

QuoteThe story would follow them as they battle the Russian who with one other, seemingly, immortal being, is the basis for satin, god, achiles, zeus, hector of troy, hercules, and ect.

And you lost me again.

Shiranu

QuoteSo how did the existence of a high tech civilization go unnoticed by archaeologists?

I would just like to say, as an anthro major, that these type of things are a huge peeve for me :P.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on January 07, 2015, 12:54:44 AMI would just like to say, as an anthro major, that these type of things are a huge peeve for me :P.
As a scifi guy reading about single-biome planets, rubber-forehead aliens possessing a single culture and religion, and battles where the combatants alternate between knives (or fists) and super-lethal particle weapons, I feel ya.

I just watched a Star Wars cartoon where the Imperials were hassling some moisture farmers, apparently for that prime barren desert real estate.  They wouldn't sell, so the Imperials blew up the farm then arrested them. (instead of, you know, arresting them and taking the farm for themselves.  They'd obviously wanted it, and gaining a blasted ruin doesn't seem very productive)  The prisoners were apparently secured along the outside of the armored transport and well on their way back in what I imagined was an incredibly uncomfortable trip when the rebels attacked and freed them before booking it out of there with the Imperials chasing after them.  Great job, guys.  There's just one small problem:  the farmers are out in the middle of the desert with no water and even if they do make it back to civilization, they'd almost certainly be fugitives for the rest of their lives or maybe just summarily executed as rebels by reinforcing Imperials.  That scene was horrible and horrifying in equal measure.

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Shiranu on January 07, 2015, 03:33:26 AM
I'm more of a silk guy, myself...
Quoteis the basis for satin, god, achiles, zeus, hector of troy, hercules, and ect.

I got a chuckle out of reading that haha

dtq123

Quote from: tristan9811 on January 06, 2015, 09:00:44 PM
I've written a book call the unwilling soldier which is a young adult fiction which follows a group of children imbued with powers from ancient religious artifacts implanted into their bodies during pregnancy. These religious artifacts are  in fact ancient technological advances from a highly advanced race of human, who lived far before man. They did not expand due to a molecular defect that caused there bodies to dissipate if more than 54,000 of them  the inhabited earth at the same time. The story would follow them as they battle the Russian who with one other, seemingly, immortal being, is the basis for satin, god, achiles, zeus, hector of troy, hercules, and ect.

Could you give us the first chapter?
I'd like to read it.  :cheesy:
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

trdsf

I think subverting religious themes is very useful as a literary device; one of my projects involves a first contact with an alien species whose creation story is demonstrably true (at least so far as the sequence of events goes), which is proving a little mind-melting for Terrans who of course don't believe in it.

I'm of the opinion that, to borrow from Arthur C. Clarke, any deity is indistinguishable from a sufficiently advanced alien anyway.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan