Previous topic - Next topic

SNP1

Which philosophy do you follow?
Dualism?
Materialism?
Ontological materialism?
Idealism?
Other?

Personally, I am an ontological materialist.
"My only agenda, if one can call it that, is the pursuit of truth" ~AoSS

Solitary

Realism, live and let live, hedonist.  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Shiranu

IIRC my philosophy class, I am a materialist and fuck idealism with a rusty spoon,

In thought I would say I am somewhere between hedonist and Buddhist, in practice I am not.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

aitm

I tell people that I am an epicurean existentialist, that usually gives me a moment to get away.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SNP1

Quote from: Shiranu on January 04, 2015, 01:12:55 PM
IIRC my philosophy class, I am a materialist and fuck idealism with a rusty spoon,

In thought I would say I am somewhere between hedonist and Buddhist, in practice I am not.

1) Pure materialist or Ontological Materialist?
2) Why the hate for Idealism?

SNP1

Quote from: SNP1 on January 04, 2015, 12:57:47 PM
Personally, I am an ontological materialist.

To expand, I am also a nihilist, but with a small twist from classical nihilism.

dtq123

I guess I am somewhat of an idealistic: I tend see how things could be used or put to work, does that count?
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

SNP1

Quote from: dtq123 on January 04, 2015, 02:40:09 PM
I guess I am somewhat of an idealistic: I tend see how things could be used or put to work, does that count?

Idealism, in this context, is the view that everything is immaterial and based on the mind and ideas. It is the opposite of pure materialism.

dtq123

A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

SGOS

I'm a dedicated follower of fashion.

Mike Cl

I'm a dedicated follower of whatever works.  Hate fashion.  Also follow the philosophy of leave me the fuck alone philosophy--especially when I'm playing my games. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?