Tips and Tricks for the Strapped for Cash Among Us

Started by Aletheia, January 04, 2015, 12:33:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aitm

and don't forget sex. You can call me and we can talk about it for just a couple nickels…. :whistle:

wat? It's a legit tip! :popcorn:
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Aletheia

Quote from: aitm on January 04, 2015, 08:46:39 PM
and don't forget sex. You can call me and we can talk about it for just a couple nickels…. :whistle:

wat? It's a legit tip! :popcorn:

I have a live-in sex-supplier who cooks, cleans, walks the dogs, and even cleans the windows in exchange for internet access. He even remembers birthdays and anniversaries. I'm afraid the market has gotten rather competitive since back in the day. ;)
Quote from: Jakenessif you believe in the supernatural, you do not understand modern science. Period.

aitm

Quote from: Aletheia on January 04, 2015, 09:47:12 PM
I have a live-in sex-supplier who cooks, cleans, walks the dogs, and even cleans the windows in exchange for internet access. He even remembers birthdays and anniversaries. I'm afraid the market has gotten rather competitive since back in the day. ;)
party pooper... :pidu:
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Jason Harvestdancer

Reuse and repurpose.

My wife takes old sheets and old towels and crochets them into rugs.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Atheon

Save on water: When you shower, stick a plastic bucket in the tub to catch water. Use that water to flush the toilet. Only flush for poo.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Atheon

Vacation cheap: research museums, parks, events and other places and things that don't require admission fees. Park farther away for free and walk to your destination, if possible. If staying overnight, stay at a friend or relative's place (offer to help out with chores and to return the favor). Or camp.

If you're planning an overseas vacation, consider cheap places like Central America, Southeast Asia, the Indian Subcontinent or the Southern Balkans instead of North America, Western Europe, Japan, or China. Be flexible with plane tickets... there are often incredible bargains to be found. Stay in hostels instead of hotels. Eat at food markets instead of indoor sit-down restaurants.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Jason78

Get a needle and thread. 

Don't buy new socks!  Just sew up the holes in the old ones.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Brian37

What about making Walmart, the Koch Brothers, and big Oil to pay their share of taxes, and livable wages?
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Aletheia

Quote from: Brian37 on January 06, 2015, 06:42:25 PM
What about making Walmart, the Koch Brothers, and big Oil to pay their share of taxes, and livable wages?

If I could make stuff like that happen, I think we'd all be needing these tips and tricks a little less.
Quote from: Jakenessif you believe in the supernatural, you do not understand modern science. Period.

dtq123

A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

stromboli

Do research and buy a reliable used car, if you need one. A used Toyota Camry, for example, if cared for will last 200,000 miles.

Learn how to do an oil change.

Buy a bicycle if you don't have one. Cheap transportation ( a cruiser bike from Walmart can be got for less than $70) and it will keep you in shape.

Potatoes, eggs, rice, chicken (whole fryers you cut up are cheaper) and whole grain oatmeal for protein. You can also make reusable containers from oatmeal tubs by lining them with plastic wrap. They already have plastic lids. If you are hungry, you can eat a handful of whole grain oatmeal and then drink a glass of water. It will fill you and provide good protein. Also tuna fish.

Buy soda, if you must, either in 2 liter bottles (cheaper, and you can use them for water storage) or aluminum cans and get some money back by recycling. Better yet, don't drink soda pop. For a change of pace buy a store brand of Tang; cheap, has some flavor and vitamin C.

Walmart or other major brand gift cards when the times are good to ward off the lean times. My wife and I buy Walmart gift cards through the year and use them either as gifts or to buy gifts. An older child much rather would have the opportunity to buy his own gift. We never have any money drain during the holidays.

You can be really cheap and make your own coffee with an inexpensive brand of bulk coffee and some cheap paper filters. Put about two heaping spoons of coffee in the filter over a mason jar, with a rubber band holding the filter in place.  If the coffee is too strong add water, if it is too weak pour in into another container and run it back through again.

You can find material to build shelves from local construction site dumpsters. If it is in the dumpster, it has been thrown away. You can make shelves from cardboard boxes reinforced with pieces of wood. I've seen homeless people build houses from construction dumpsters.

Another good place is dumpsters in mobile home courts. You can find furniture in there.

In your travels, carry a plastic bag and check trash cans for aluminum or other useful stuff you can recycle.

When we travel out camping or go to national parks, I pick up interesting pieces of wood (be careful where you do it- some places won't let you) for carving or making walking sticks.

And shit like that there. Been living on the cheap for decades.

stromboli

Swap meets and yard sales. There is a trick to it. Go to these places early and size up what you want, even make lists. Bargain with the seller for the price- if they won't come down, go back later. Every piece of luggage I own I paid a total of $20 for. You can get anything from dishes to lawnmowers at those. But be ready to bargain and be patient to go back and see if they haven't sold what you want- you can often get it cheaper that way.  You can furnish your whole house for pennies on the dollar if you know what you are doing. Clothes especially you can get cheap.

Look for farmers co-ops or rural fruit and vegetable stands. Most often they are selling it cheaper than the market because stuff not sold is wasted. And it is also better quality than the market stuff.

Also cruise pawn shops if you are looking for things like guns or metal detectors or bicycles. A neighbor bought a Giant 26" mountain bike for $150.00. they go for $500 new. If you spend time in a pawn shop and get to know people, they will help you find stuff.   

doorknob

Once I only had 20 dollars for food for the month. I lived off of eggs and toast for the month. There are so many ways you can make eggs especially if you get creative.

Munch

Quote from: doorknob on February 05, 2015, 12:11:46 PM
Once I only had 20 dollars for food for the month. I lived off of eggs and toast for the month. There are so many ways you can make eggs especially if you get creative.

That is amazing. Though I'd be dead in that case, given my diabetes needs a certain amount of carbs each day so as not to slip into a hypoglycemic attack. being honest, I kinda fear the thought of what would happen if I found myself in that position.

I could probably survive on egg on toast, with beans, and crackers, but anything less be a struggle.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Aletheia

Quote from: doorknob on February 05, 2015, 12:11:46 PM

Yeah, we spend about that amount a month on food as well. I had managed to work out a deal with a relative of my boyfriend. The place where she works routinely tosses out food that is not used by the clients, so she brings us the food in exchange for occasional yard/house work. So far, the food has been excellent, varied, and balanced. Given that our request for food stamps have been either denied or is taking a ridiculously long amount of time to pass from "reviewed" to something more meaningful, this has definitely been helpful.