Guns not a problem in Walmart store...

Started by Youssuf Ramadan, December 31, 2014, 07:31:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: PickelledEggs on January 01, 2015, 03:07:37 PM

Solving the stupidity problem isn't as simple as "let them kill each other off".
Certainly not a tidy one.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Johan

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 01, 2015, 02:01:58 PM
I'll tell you a tale that doesn't involve guns. In 1976 a friend spent $2,000 on a TV that had a VHS player built in. Six years later, with the market flooded with cheap VCRs, I had five on a rack at my place.
How many pet rocks do you own? Is that number zero? If so, why? They are still manufactured and if your theory about the manufacturer making tons of guns is why so many people have guns, then why don't you have a pet rock?
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Johan on January 01, 2015, 03:42:26 PM
How many pet rocks do you own? Is that number zero? If so, why? They are still manufactured and if your theory about the manufacturer making tons of guns is why so many people have guns, then why don't you have a pet rock?
I have 73 pet rocks. They are all right by my pile of laser disc players

PickelledEggs

And oh yeah. I keep my laser disc players next to my 1st gen floppy disk drives which I keep next to my 8 track players

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Johan on January 01, 2015, 03:42:26 PM
When did I say it works every time? You have a nice life.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

hrdlr110

Quote from: FaithIsFilth on December 31, 2014, 09:39:49 PM
If a kid brings the pills to school and passes them around, multiple children could die as a result.

No one has a right not to be endangered. I could walk out my door right now and get my head smashed in with a hammer. All of life is a risk. We can have every last one of our rights taken away, and that's not going to change that fact, and we're still not going to be living in this fantasy land where there is no risk. Life is risky and life is not fair.

And guns make life MORE risky, not less, only a fool would believe otherwise - as this thread clearly proves. I'll take my chances with a hammer, you'll need to get fairly close, or be a very good aim when throwing it, and even then, unless you have a bunch of hammers, I'll most likely survive. Only a fool would take a hammer to a gun fight. Guns are a fucking menace!
Q for theists; how can there be freewill and miracles? And, how can prayer exist in an environment as regimented as "gods plan"?

"I'm a polyatheist, there are many gods I don't believe in." - Dan Fouts

Johan

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 01, 2015, 04:23:06 PM
When did I say it works every time? You have a nice life.
Ok fair enough, you never said it works every time. Are you still maintaining that its the number of guns the manufacturers make that is to blame and that free will of consumers has nothing to do with how many guns are sold?
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Johan on January 01, 2015, 06:45:10 PM
Ok fair enough, you never said it works every time. Are you still maintaining that its the number of guns the manufacturers make that is to blame and that free will of consumers has nothing to do with how many guns are sold?
Another strawman. Well done. Keep that string going.
PZ Myers

FaithIsFilth

Quote from: hrdlr110 on January 01, 2015, 06:22:26 PM
And guns make life MORE risky, not less, only a fool would believe otherwise - as this thread clearly proves.
A million different things make life more risky. I guess we should just put everyone in a straight jacket in a padded room for their own safety.

Most gun crime is in the ghetto. Stay out of the ghetto and you shouldn't have too much to worry about.

Johan

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 01, 2015, 06:49:16 PM
Another strawman. Well done. Keep that string going.
A strawman wasn't my intention. The statement was as follows:

QuoteWhich means maybe you don't pump guns out like candy and hand them out like candy.

No, it is the shitty makers who don't care about idiot parents getting a hold of their product.
So what exactly does that mean? Because my reading of it is that the problem of guns falls with the manufacturers and the number of guns they produce. If I'm reading that wrong or misunderstanding what its supposed to mean, please help me understand correctly.

Atheon

Quote from: Johan on January 01, 2015, 06:45:10 PM
In Taiwan, it doesn't matter how badly a consumer wants a gun; he can't get one because they are illegal here. And guess what? Gun deaths are extremely rare here.

This proves that it's possible to have a gun-free society. America should give it a serious look.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Johan

Quote from: Atheon on January 01, 2015, 09:52:06 PM
In Taiwan, it doesn't matter how badly a consumer wants a gun; he can't get one because they are illegal here. And guess what? Gun deaths are extremely rare here.

This proves that it's possible to have a gun-free society. America should give it a serious look.
That has everything to do with the government and nothing to do with the manufacturers. The statements was guns are the fault of the manufacturers.

hrdlr110

Quote from: FaithIsFilth on January 01, 2015, 07:31:53 PM
A million different things make life more risky. I guess we should just put everyone in a straight jacket in a padded room for their own safety.

Most gun crime is in the ghetto. Stay out of the ghetto and you shouldn't have too much to worry about.

Yeah so? And guns are near the top of risky things in life. A removable risk that we could easily live without if it were not for the "gung ho for guns and God" crowd! Risks like guns are not like other, so-called, neccesary risks like transportation. Although there are many that shouldn't be driving........texters that kill should be charged with murder in my opinion. If you really think you're safer having a gun in your home for protection, think again! There is not one study that statistically or otherwise, proves this......that's why I don't have a link for you!
Q for theists; how can there be freewill and miracles? And, how can prayer exist in an environment as regimented as "gods plan"?

"I'm a polyatheist, there are many gods I don't believe in." - Dan Fouts

FaithIsFilth

Ok. You're not safer having a gun in your home. So what? If you don't want the risk of having a gun in your home, you don't have to bring a gun into your home. Pretty simple solution there.

Moralnihilist

There are millions of RESPONSIBLE gun owners in the US, and it seems that every time an idiot like the mother in this story takes themselves out(or in this case is taken out by her own weapon) there is a clamoring from the extreme left to take away everyones guns. This is, in my opinion, the epitome of whiny bitchy leftism. Just because YOU don't like the idea of guns does not mean that there aren't people, like myself and many others, who enjoy their guns in a proper and safe way.

Now before the leftists jump on and accuse me of being a reich winger, allow me to set the record straight. I am now and have always been a centrist. I enjoy guns, however I don't agree with those on the right who seem to think that the constitution allows for John Q Public to own a Barrett .50 cal rifle or a General Electric XM214 Minigun. But a handgun is, to me, damn fun to take to the range and pop off a box(or more) of rounds, and can make a good personal defense weapon.

The issue here is that most CCW classes are a damn joke. And 9 times out of 10 are taken by the lunatic fringe who think that everyone is out to get them.
Science doesn't give a damn about religions, because "damns" are not measurable units and therefore have no place in research. As soon as it's possible to detect damns, we'll quantize perdition and number all the levels of hell. Until then, science doesn't care.