Guns not a problem in Walmart store...

Started by Youssuf Ramadan, December 31, 2014, 07:31:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: FaithIsFilth on January 01, 2015, 03:22:11 AMA gun has never been used to save someone's life?
I have yet to see a doctor use one in the ER...

But the answer is a very qualified yes, guns can be used to prevent (further) bloodshed in certain situations.  Usually by wounding or killing an attacker.  That's its primary purpose.  The primary purpose of medicine is well...obvious.  Apples and oranges indeed.

Gawdzilla Sama

Guns saved my life more than once. I went with Mal's fair play dictum.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Johan

Quote from: Brian37 on January 01, 2015, 12:29:29 AM

No, it is the shitty makers who don't care about idiot parents getting a hold of their product.
For the life of me I do not get this line of thinking. Its not the gun owners fault, its the gun makers fault for conducting their business in EXACTLY the same way any other profitable company conducts business. Yeah that argument just doesn't hold water for me. Why not just blame all of it on the Chinese for inventing black powder?
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

aitm

fucking chinese……AND their fucking General Tsao…..
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Johan on January 01, 2015, 11:54:14 AM
For the life of me I do not get this line of thinking. Its not the gun owners fault, its the gun makers fault for conducting their business in EXACTLY the same way any other profitable company conducts business. Yeah that argument just doesn't hold water for me. Why not just blame all of it on the Chinese for inventing black powder?

Flooding the market with Saturday Night Specials isn't a bad thing?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Johan

Manufacturers don't make the market, people do. Blaming a manufacturer for meeting demand is idiotic.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Johan on January 01, 2015, 12:56:26 PM
Manufacturers don't make the market, people do. Blaming a manufacturer for meeting demand is idiotic.
Sorry, but that's just bullshit.
PZ Myers

Johan

So you're saying there are tons of companies making and selling products that people don't actually want to buy? I wasn't aware of that. Free will is all lie then. Got it.

Hijiri Byakuren

"Dumb shit puts gun next to toddler. Toddler fiddles with gun and accidentally kills dumb shit. Therefore, guns should be banned."

Sometimes I wonder if people think about what they're writing before they write it.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Johan on January 01, 2015, 01:36:17 PM
So you're saying there are tons of companies making and selling products that people don't actually want to buy? I wasn't aware of that. Free will is all lie then. Got it.
I'll tell you a tale that doesn't involve guns. In 1976 a friend spent $2,000 on a TV that had a VHS player built in. Six years later, with the market flooded with cheap VCRs, I had five on a rack at my place.
PZ Myers

Mermaid

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on January 01, 2015, 01:43:42 PM
"Dumb shit puts gun next to toddler. Toddler fiddles with gun and accidentally kills dumb shit. Therefore, guns should be banned."

Sometimes I wonder if people think about what they're writing before they write it.
I know this is a polarizing topic. I think that sentence makes perfect sense. Guns are fucking dangerous and anyone can get them. (insert drug of choice) is dangerous, but it's regulated and up to the discretion of the physician prescribing it. And someone with a bag of crystal meth sitting in the car next to me at a light isn't endangering me.
I do not see guns as something everyone needs to carry because they are so goddamn dangerous in the wrong hands. I don't trust the average Lemuel to keep his or her gun safe when I am out grocery shopping at the same store with them. I do not believe having guns makes people safer, according to what I have read as well as my own sense of logic. The more guns people have, the more shootings there are. People are basically very stupid.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Mermaid on January 01, 2015, 02:54:14 PM
I know this is a polarizing topic. I think that sentence makes perfect sense. Guns are fucking dangerous and anyone can get them. (insert drug of choice) is dangerous, but it's regulated and up to the discretion of the physician prescribing it. And someone with a bag of crystal meth sitting in the car next to me at a light isn't endangering me.
I do not see guns as something everyone needs to carry because they are so goddamn dangerous in the wrong hands. I don't trust the average Lemuel to keep his or her gun safe when I am out grocery shopping at the same store with them. I do not believe having guns makes people safer, according to what I have read as well as my own sense of logic. The more guns people have, the more shootings there are. People are basically very stupid.
Not to sound cold, but anything that removes stupid people from the population isn't something I'm going to shed a lot of tears over. I'll approve of anything that keeps dumb shits from killing others. Couldn't really care less if they kill themselves, though.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on January 01, 2015, 02:57:35 PM
Not to sound cold, but anything that removes stupid people from the population isn't something I'm going to shed a lot of tears over. I'll approve of anything that keeps dumb shits from killing others. Couldn't really care less if they kill themselves, though.
True to a point, but the collateral damage is the issue for me.
PZ Myers

Mermaid

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on January 01, 2015, 02:57:35 PM
That child will have to live with the knowledge that he shot and killed his mother every day of his life. He also could have shot anyone in the vicinity, he just happened to shoot his mother. Pure luck.
People who carry firearms in public spaces endanger everyone around them. Of course most gun owners are responsible and you have to go through a lot of training to get a CCP. But I don't know those people and don't trust people to be responsible with their firearms. The more people who have them, the more they endanger everyone. And for WHAT!? They do not make anyone safer.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Mermaid on January 01, 2015, 03:01:53 PM
That child will have to live with the knowledge that he shot and killed his mother every day of his life. He also could have shot anyone in the vicinity, he just happened to shoot his mother. Pure luck.
To add to this, the psychological scarring this kid will likely have could possibly drive him mad with depression and a threat to people around him again.

Solving the stupidity problem isn't as simple as "let them kill each other off".