Guns not a problem in Walmart store...

Started by Youssuf Ramadan, December 31, 2014, 07:31:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Youssuf Ramadan

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/two-old-boy-shoots-dead-mother-walmart-202939024.html
Two-Year-Old Boy Shoots Mother Dead At Walmart

A two-year-old boy has accidentally shot dead his mother at a Walmart store after a gun fired when he reached in her purse.
The shooting in Hayden, Idaho, about 40 miles (64km) northeast of Spokane, Washington, took place in the back of the store near the electronics department.
"Looking at the video from the store and interviewing some of the witnesses that we've got so far the shooting appears to be accidental," Kootenai County sheriff's spokesman Lieutenant Stu Miller said.
"The child looks to be sitting in the shopping cart with the purse while the female victim was shopping."
Authorities were unsure at first whether the toddler was the woman's son.
She was shopping with three other children before she was shot. Her husband was not with her, but arrived shortly after.
Lt Miller said the victim had had a permit to carry a concealed weapon.
She was named as Veronica J. Rutledge, 29, of Blackfoot, Idaho and is understood to have been visiting relatives in the area.
Friends have been leaving tributes on Facebook.
Rhonda Ellis wrote: "It has been a very sad day today. A bright star that I loved like a sister is now an angel above us.
"She is gone too soon and her little boy will grow up with just a fleeting memory of his mommy.
"My heart aches for the family she left behind and makes me hold mine a little tighter. I love you, Roni!!"
Police spokesman Lt Miller said: "I am a big proponent of a concealed weapon for your own safety, however you have to be responsible and unfortunately in this case I guess all the precautionary measures weren't taken to ensure the safety of that weapon."
Brooke Buchanan, a spokeswoman for Walmart, called the shooting a "very sad and tragic accident".
"We are working closely with the local sheriff's department while they investigate what happened," she said.
The store was closed after the shooting and was not expected to reopen until the following morning.

Move along, there is nothing to see here..... *sigh*   :shifty:

Mermaid

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Gawdzilla Sama

"If only the mother had been armed, she'd have been able to protect herself!"
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

As a point of interest, although perhaps unrelated to this accident, Hayden, Idaho is an epicenter of the Aryan Nations Church, a white supremacist church in the Pacific Northwest.  I'm pretty sure they are well armed and on the FBI watch list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aryan_Nations

FaithIsFilth

Meh. Shit happens. Not everyone is going to be a good parent in this world.

Mermaid

Quote from: FaithIsFilth on December 31, 2014, 09:24:07 AM
Meh. Shit happens. Not everyone is going to be a good parent in this world.
Shit happens when you insist on carrying a damn handgun everywhere for "protection".

That's idiocy.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

FaithIsFilth

No. Shit happens when you put your child right next to the gun and take your eye off them. The mother was an idiot and deserved to die. I don't see why a thread was even made about this. When a parent puts a bunch of pills infront of their child, walks away, then the child dies, we don't put all the blame on the pills and talk about legislation against pills. That would be silly. You're making the same argument. It's not the pills or the guns. It's the shitty parents.

Atheon

Guns don't kill people, toddlers with guns do. Where was the good guy with the gun to blow away this bad toddler with a gun?
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: FaithIsFilth on December 31, 2014, 09:43:58 AM
No. Shit happens when you put your child right next to the gun and take your eye off them. The mother was an idiot and deserved to die. I don't see why a thread was even made about this. When a parent puts a bunch of pills infront of their child, walks away, then the child dies, we don't put all the blame on the pills and talk about legislation against pills. That would be silly. You're making the same argument. It's not the pills or the guns. It's the shitty parents.
Is the kid just as dangerous if he grabs a bag of marshmallows?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mermaid

A bag of pills in your purse doesn't endanger everyone in the store if you let your kid get to it.

kilodelta

Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

FaithIsFilth

Quote from: Mermaid on December 31, 2014, 12:57:52 PM
A bag of pills in your purse doesn't endanger everyone in the store if you let your kid get to it.
If a kid brings the pills to school and passes them around, multiple children could die as a result.

No one has a right not to be endangered. I could walk out my door right now and get my head smashed in with a hammer. All of life is a risk. We can have every last one of our rights taken away, and that's not going to change that fact, and we're still not going to be living in this fantasy land where there is no risk. Life is risky and life is not fair.

Shiranu

>mfw comparing pills to heal people to weapons designed to kill people.

I mean, there are decent arguments for not enacting stricter gun control laws. I disagree with them, but they exist. There is no need to scrape the bottom of the barrel and put out that ridiculous argument though...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Brian37

Which means maybe you don't pump guns out like candy and hand them out like candy.

No, it is the shitty makers who don't care about idiot parents getting a hold of their product.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

FaithIsFilth

Quote from: Shiranu on January 01, 2015, 12:09:21 AM
>mfw comparing pills to heal people to weapons designed to kill people.

I mean, there are decent arguments for not enacting stricter gun control laws. I disagree with them, but they exist. There is no need to scrape the bottom of the barrel and put out that ridiculous argument though...
A gun has never been used to save someone's life? It's not about comparing pills in particular to guns. I was responding to a particular point. I could have brought up a burning candle instead of pills. Don't leave a two year old in a room alone with a burning candle. There are thousands of dangerous things you shouldn't let a two year old around alone. But it was a gun, so that's all that matters here. And the talk starts up of taking away people's rights.

How many accidental gun deaths do you see per year in the US? About 600, and only about 100 of them are children. 600 people out of 300 million people lol. Drowning is 2000 deaths. Fires are 2700 deaths. Falling is 25000 annual deaths. Car accidents are 42000 deaths. Let's have some perspective here. 600 accidental shooting deaths lol. Tiny, tiny number.

Quote from: Brian37 on January 01, 2015, 12:29:29 AM
Which means maybe you don't pump guns out like candy and hand them out like candy.

No, it is the shitty makers who don't care about idiot parents getting a hold of their product.
Why less? The more the merrier. Gun crime continues to drop as more and more guns are manufactured and sold.