News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Problem of evil is weak

Started by SNP1, December 30, 2014, 07:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

I specifically reject P4 ... therefore God X may be real or not, based on P5.  The Bible god is far more interesting than the paragon the Greek theologians constructed.  The Bible G-d would agree with A and P1, and reject P2 thru P4, and then accept P5 ... and then tell you to shut up.  A bit like a Bedouin dad who is dealing with a know it all shepherd son (they are very young, like 6-12 years old).  Jacob was like that ... no wonder Esau couldn't stand him.  Joseph was like that ... no wonder they sold him to slavers.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

CrucifyCindy

Quote from: aitm on February 13, 2015, 08:19:53 PM
Evil to us is just another human construct.

You know the concept of color is just another human concept, So does that mean that "red" does not exist? I yet for anyone to prove to me that numbers such as 7 are real...I never seen a 7 dancing in the streets or anything...7 is just a human concept, therefore 7 must not exist.
“Rational thought is a failed experiment and should be phased out.”
 William S. Burroughs

حسن اÙ,,صباح - Ù,,يس هناك Ù...ا هو صحيح ØŒ ÙƒÙ,, شيء Ù...سÙ...وح به

Munch

Quote from: CrucifyCindy on September 10, 2015, 06:25:38 PM
You know the concept of color is just another human concept, So does that mean that "red" does not exist? I yet for anyone to prove to me that numbers such as 7 are real...I never seen a 7 dancing in the streets or anything...7 is just a human concept, therefore 7 must not exist.

well, red, like any color is simply what the eye perceived the color as. Same thing with the sun, we perceive it as a yellow star, when its actually white, but looks yellow because of the atmosphere.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

That is why some aspects of observation are considered secondary ... because they are subjective.  As mentioned before, primary aspects of observation, aren't ordinary observable, except by special effort ... for example measuring the weight of something.  But weight is subjective too (because of variation in the gravity force) but inertial mass is both measurable and objective.  If you want to be really objective, visit the National Bureau of Weights and Standards.  The overall science is called Metrology.

About concepts ... in some sense they exist, though I would agree that all of them are subjective ... which puts the ultimate kibosh on objectivity ... but we can ignore that for now.  What I find disturbing isn't the kind of existence concepts have, but that some particularly nasty concepts exist at all ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

CrucifyCindy

Quote from: Munch on September 10, 2015, 07:37:22 PM
well, red, like any color is simply what the eye perceived the color as. Same thing with the sun, we perceive it as a yellow star, when its actually white, but looks yellow because of the atmosphere.

You know what? The sun is a human concept too.
 William S. Burroughs

Baruch

See, Mrs Helios told her husband, don't give our son Phaeton, keys to the solar chariot!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

CrucifyCindy

Quote from: SNP1 on December 30, 2014, 07:03:13 PM
The problem of evil is used a lot as an argument against god. I find this surprising. The argument is weak because it requires specific points to be true.

Problem of evil formulated:
A: God X is real
P1) God X says that Y is evil
P2) God X is All-Powerful
P3) God X is All-Knowing
P4) God X is All-Loving
P5) Y exists
C1) P1-P5 entails a contradiction
C2) A is false

Replace God X with any specific god where P1-P5 remains true about that god, then that god cannot exist.

It does not work on the majority of possible gods. Too many points have to be true about the god you are talking about in order for the argument to work. It does nothing against a god that is not all loving. Nothing against a god that is not all knowing. Nothing against a god that is not all powerful. Nothing against a god that does not find anything evil.

It is, overall, a weak argument.

C2 is a non sequitur if you really look at it
 William S. Burroughs