News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

New here - Believe in god, can't stop - Help

Started by dylansdad, March 01, 2013, 11:59:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davka

Quote from: "aitm"Anybody claiming that one band is the greatest is a fuckin crackpot diphead. There have been way too many bands to proclaim any band is the best. Other than the Moody Blues of course, they are above and beyond mortal bands what with their crappy lyrics and copy n pasta shit they call music......the Moodies are actual gods.
I used to think that, too. Until I listened to "A Question Of Balance" again, and realized they actually wrote a lot of pretentious hackneyed lyrics.

I mean, come on - are you honestly going to try to pass this off as great art:

[youtube:yx99k4rr]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL4QARsT-4c[/youtube:yx99k4rr]

aitm

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"
Quote from: "aitm"Anybody claiming that one band is the greatest is a fuckin crackpot diphead. There have been way too many bands to proclaim any band is the best. Other than the Moody Blues of course, they are above and beyond mortal bands what with their crappy lyrics and copy n pasta shit they call music......the Moodies are actual gods.
Uhhh...any band except YOUR favorite? See above: fucking crackpot diphead... The rule applies to all.. :-k

tut tut my good man, the difference is I clarified, you see I said "Other than the Moody Blues" see? That makes the difference. Moodies are of course gods and your band sucks, and they really suck, bad. And when I say bad, I mean suck real real squirrel getting fucked by a pig bad.....so there.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

aitm

Quote from: "Davka"
I used to think that, too. Until I listened to "A Question Of Balance" again, and realized they actually wrote a lot of pretentious hackneyed lyrics.

I mean, come on - are you honestly going to try to pass this off as great art:

[youtube:1eihr0my]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL4QARsT-4c[/youtube:1eihr0my]

do not trifle with the gods of music boy...they are indeed the gods, and you should of course bow right now and kiss the ground you pagan fuck.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Davka

Quote from: "aitm"do not trifle with the gods of music boy...they are indeed the gods, and you should of course bow right now and kiss the ground you pagan fuck.
Anyone who has ever watched Jack Black in School Of Rock knows that Led Zeppelin are the gods of rock.

And anyone who hasn't watched School Of Rock is not worthy to lick the ground rock shits on.

FoxComedy

Well, you're older than me, so you know what I'm talking about when I say that I still sometimes struggle with the fear of an eternity in Hell that the Catholic church spent many years brainwashing me into having.

But the "God hates me" or "the universe hates me" is an old chestnut that everyone gets into, atheist or otherwise.  As C-3PO would have said, "We seem to be made to suffer.  It's our lot in life."

And please don't take this as an insult, it's not meant to be - but that is an INCREDIBLY self-centered way to look at things.  I can guarantee you that neither the universe nor any sort of god cares enough about you and YOU SPECIFICALLY to want to make you and your family suffer for something you may or may not have done.  There is a section in Chris Hardwick's book, "The Nerdist Way: How to Reach the Next Level in Real Life" that talks about this very concept.  

From the section "Why Things Don't Go Your Way"

"If you enjoy philosophy or physics, then you must know that perspective is everything. Events are inherently valueless. WE assign values to them.
How you perceive something gives it its value. Two people can perceive the same thing in completely opposite ways, and both would seem valid
for each person (look up "parallax" just for fun). It is through this lens that you begin to realize the power you have to shape your reality. What is
reality? It's merely a string of perceptions that you navigate. Control your perceptions and you control your reality. Why, if you were a solipsist, you
would actually think that NOTHING outside your own perspective actually exists. That would mean that from my point of view, you are an extension of
my psyche reading my book, and from yours, I wrote this in your mind. See why philosophy is so much fun? OK, fuck solipsism.
It is very likely that when things don't pan out the way you intended, you kick the shit out of yourself. You reason that this is yet another in a long
chain of events that are part of a master plan on the part of the Universe to conspire with the Elements against you. This is naturally a pile of Orc
shit. No one is conspiring against you. This isn't just "how it is" for you. Nerds, because they tend to tune in to their inner monologue more than
regular folks, many times will assume the most selfish point of view. To think that the Universe (a) is sentient and (b) would focus all or even part of
its energy to ensure your unhappiness is laughable and more than a little self-centered. But it's not all the Nerd's fault. It's human nature to attach
reasoning to events in an attempt to understand an otherwise reasonless world, no matter how ridiculous. (AHEMreligionAHEM COUGHthough
notjudgingyouifyouarereligiousCOUGH.) For people who normally operate from pragmatic and logical places, it is surprisingly superstitious."

So yeah.  Please don't at all think I'm making fun of you or belittling you.  I'm not, no one here is (intentionally).  But whether there's a god or cosmic force or not?  You are not the target of its wrath.

Mind you, you MAY be cursed by a witch, which is an entirely different thing.  See Arrogan's Dread Compendium of Curses, page 98, under counter spells and anti hexes.

Savior2006

Saying "God hates me" is especially ridiculous when you consider the Christian implication that God hates everyone and only want them to tell Him how great He is forever or torture them for eternity if they don't.
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano

Plu

You can definately hear the difference with Yes. I'm not sure I like it, but it's definately people who know how to make music.

pr126

Davka

I would like to nominate this thread for the "most hijacked introduction" category.