News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

A shit-show of Long Island Medium

Started by PickelledEggs, December 26, 2014, 10:07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PickelledEggs

She's doing a reading alright... a cold one (in more ways than one)

I saw this posted via the Facebook page "The Skeptics' guide to the Universe" and since I've never seen this cunt in action, I decided to check it out.

http://www.longislandpress.com/2014/12/21/my-not-so-psychic-experience-with-long-island-medium-theresa-caputo/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5FvxZaNmT8

Solitary

When you know how they do it, you have to wonder how they can even look in a mirror at themselves without vomiting.  :oak: :butt:
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

GrinningYMIR

She says all the right things and does all the right moves to make people believe her, say the right thing about money, or a sister, or perhaps something like a boat and the person grasps at whatever straw that's there like its the lifeline they've always wanted. Pure unadulterated manipulation.

I wouldn't mind it so much if they didn't get people's hopes up, only for them to be dashed, just for some money in her pockets.

Fuck this bitch, and fuck everyone who claims to be a medium like she does.
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Solitary on December 26, 2014, 10:17:59 PM
When you know how they do it, you have to wonder how they can even look in a mirror at themselves without vomiting.  :oak: :butt:
I almost vomited from watching it

kilodelta

The audience should have watched more South Park.

Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

FreeX

They like to show all those cases where she appears to be successful, but never talk about all the times off camera where she has miserably failed. And I agree, in the times where she appears successful she is "feeling out" her unsuspecting victim by making generalizations that give her clues to zero in on.

Just another typical parlor trick IMO.

Atheism is defined as "having no beliefs in any gods." Isn't that exactly the way we were born? I am an atheist because I was BORN THIS WAY.

Jhayward

pickelled eggs: I read the article.  I dont think there is enough there to tell you whether or not this individual claiming to be a medium has any extraordinary sense.  This just throws out some reasonable doubt.  Is there anything else out there on her that suggests she is a fraud?  Or that would validate she has some extra sense?  Let's not assume that the sense is impossible to start with.  If she is 'successful' sometimes, is there anything that suggests she couldnt be wrong sometimes and still have an extra sense?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dtq123

I can sense thoughts! People on this forum thinks this stuff is Bull-shit!  :rotflmao:
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

Shiranu

Quote from: Jhayward on January 04, 2015, 02:17:23 PM
pickelled eggs: I read the article.  I dont think there is enough there to tell you whether or not this individual claiming to be a medium has any extraordinary sense.  This just throws out some reasonable doubt.  Is there anything else out there on her that suggests she is a fraud?  Or that would validate she has some extra sense?  Let's not assume that the sense is impossible to start with.  If she is 'successful' sometimes, is there anything that suggests she couldnt be wrong sometimes and still have an extra sense?

*Slowly backs away from thread*
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Solitary

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Jason78

Medium is a synonym for fraud.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

PickelledEggs

Someone that calls themselves a medium is claiming that they can call to spirits. The fact that there isn't such thing as spirits/ghosts/etc and she is claiming to communicate to them automatically makes her a fraud and a con-artist. There is very simple explanations of how she is able to seem like she is talking to dead relatives of (what I am going to call) her victims. It's called cold and hot reading. It's the most useful tool in any con artist's arsenal.... but when someone like her is dealing with an audience of many people like in that video, it's easier to take a "shotgun" approach to make sweeping generalizations and have someone come forth to tell her that they think that she is talking about them. And if she makes a mistake? A simple excuse of "too much thought noise" or something similar can easily get them off the hook.

Do yourself a favor and research hot reading and cold reading so you have a better knowledge of the subject.

PickelledEggs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb39htpY6dU

Penn and Teller's Bullshit exposes it in their first episode. I imagine it was on the top of their shit-list as it is also on mine.

ApostateLois

"I sense X happened sometime in the past to someone who was related to somebody in this audience. Do you have a relative that experienced X? No? How about you? I'm sensing the letter M in the name, or perhaps N. Anyone? Spirit is giving me a sense of choking."

"Um, my Uncle Melvin choked while giving a blow job to a male stripper in Vegas."

"..."
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

Faisal

Quote from: PickelledEggs on January 06, 2015, 12:53:50 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb39htpY6dU
Penn and Teller's Bullshit exposes it in their first episode. I imagine it was on the top of their shit-list as it is also on mine.
Since everything is none other than exactly as it is, one may as well just break out in laughter.