Want To Be An Atheist? It's very Simple, But Hard To Do In A Religious Society!

Started by Solitary, December 26, 2014, 03:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary

http://atheism.about.com/od/atheismatheiststheism/a/BecomeAtheist.htmHere are the steps necessary to become an atheist:

Step One: don't believe in any gods.

That's it, there are no steps two, three, or four. All you have to do is not believe in the existence of any gods.

None of the following are steps in becoming an atheist:

You don't have to deny the existence of any gods
You don't have to assert that no gods exist
You don't have to be certain that no gods exist
You don't have to join the Communist Party
You don't have to be rebelling against your family
You don't have to stop celebrating Christmas
You don't have to burn a picture of Jesus
You don't have to eat Christian babies in satanic rituals
You don't have to care about religion, theism, or gods

There are lots of things which people imagine are part of being an atheist, but definitely aren't. Atheism is nothing more or less than the absence of belief in gods. There are only two options available for everyone: either a belief in the existence of some sort of god is present, or no such belief is present. That exhausts all the logical possibilities. This means that everyone is either a theist or an atheist. There is no "middle ground" where a belief in the existence of some god is a "little bit" there or a "little bit" absent. It's either there or its not.

How you arrive at not believing in any gods may be difficult. For many people, religion and theism have played such central roles in their lives and families that abandoning these things may appear impossible. It may require a great deal of study, research, and contemplation. Many people don't have the time or inclination. Others may be afraid of what they could find if they start.

What you do after you arrive at not believing in any gods may also be difficult. You don't have to do anything more to be an atheist, but this doesn't mean that there is nothing at all left to do. You will have to decide whether you inform others about this and, if so, how you present it. Many people may start treating you differently simply because you don't believe in their gods anymore.

You may have to be concerned about whether knowledge of your atheism will lead to discrimination against you at work, for example.

Being an atheist is easy â€" all that it requires is not believing in any gods. Existing as an atheist, though, isn’t always easy because so many people think so poorly of atheists. In more secular societies where lots of people are atheists, existing as an atheist will be easier because there is less pressure telling them that being an atheist is immoral, unpatriotic, or dangerous. In more religious societies, the increased pressure will make existing as an atheist very difficult for some.

I would also add: Always question authority---even your parents.  :eek: :cool:
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

kilodelta

QuoteYou don't have to burn a picture of Jesus

I've been doing this for years. I was afraid my Atheist certification would be revoked if I didn't.
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

Gawdzilla Sama

For years I was "I'm not religious enough to call myself an atheist."
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

ThatOneGuy

Atheists are statistically as distrusted as rapists in the western world, yet people have the audacity to wonder why they are suddenly being so defensive and vocal about their non-beliefs and why they are suddenly attacking religion. Ho hum.
Hey! Preachers! Leave them kids alone!

Hydra009

Quote from: ThatOneGuy on January 05, 2015, 01:41:13 AMAtheists are statistically as distrusted as rapists in the western world, yet people have the audacity to wonder why they are suddenly being so defensive and vocal about their non-beliefs and why they are suddenly attacking religion. Ho hum.
Why would the unrepentant sinners and blasphemers (presumably in league with Satan) be on the defensive?  :P

PickelledEggs

But..... but christian babies are the most well prepared! Sprinkle some Old Bay seasoning and you're good to go!

Hydra009

Quote from: Solitary on December 26, 2014, 03:53:36 PMYou will have to decide whether you inform others about this and, if so, how you present it.
I'm heavily outnumbered by religious people (which honestly doesn't bother me, except for when the topic comes up and I'm treated to a veritable buffet of pious stupidity).  I'm hazarding a guess that out-and-out atheism isn't exactly fashionable, so I maintain all the appearances of an exceptionally weak Christian background with strangely skeptical ruminations.  But the people who know me well know that I'm very geeky, possess liberal leanings, emphatic about the latest scientific discoveries, and free every Sunday.  If that's not a pretty big tell, then I don't know what is.  And to the people I know to be skeptics, I happily inform them that they're not the only skeptic in the room.

Munch

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 05, 2015, 04:53:50 AM
Why would the unrepentant sinners and blasphemers (presumably in league with Satan) be on the defensive?  :P

Ahem...Well, I didn't want to give it away, but Satan has a nice big ....

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Gawdzilla Sama

Been an atheist all my life. Religion rarely had an impact on me. I was ordered to attend church services in boot camp, but after that the Navy didn't care. I used to say "I'm not religious enough to call myself an atheist." The principle area of conflict for me now is with relatives. I hadn't seen most of them for 30+ years and they had become fundamentalists in that time. Now we don't speak any more. And religion once again takes a back seat IRL.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Atheon

What if I wipe my butt with pages from the bibble? Does that make me an atheist?
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Desdinova

Quote from: Munch on January 05, 2015, 05:38:48 AM
Ahem...Well, I didn't want to give it away, but Satan has a nice big ....

Holy fuck!  Old Lou's packing some serious meat there!  Looks uncircumcised as well, should have known.
"How long will we be
Waiting, for your modern messiah
To take away all the hatred
That darkens the light in your eye"
  -Disturbed, Liberate

Deidre32

I will never go back to theism, as it's all nonsense, but there are times...especially lately (my grandmother died last week)...when I feel called to prayer again. And do I need to be so strict labeling myself as I have? I was once a Christian...now I'm an atheist...I was practicing Buddhism for a while...bla bla

I just want to be. But it can be that because our culture is so religion saturated, it's just hard to completely be free of it all. I still think it's healthy to be open to the unknown possibilities of the supernatural. But, logically...I'll always be an atheist.
The only lasting beauty, is the beauty of the heart. - Rumi