News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Are birthdays worthless?

Started by dtq123, December 22, 2014, 06:49:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dtq123

Since it's my birthday today, I couldn't help but ask myself; What makes this days unlike every other day? Let alone worth celebrating?
I don't know how my birth is so special, and I think my parents should be more excited than me since I came into their life, while I just am to my own.
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

aitm

The calendar is a human invention that decides that the yearly return of the sun in a specific spot in the "heavens" somehow means there is a mathematical logic to its travels, therefore the dates are "recurring" as such and worthy of being considered as a repeated date albeit one "year" later based on the suns travels. In reality your birth date was…and cannot be repeated. But hey think of the money we humans can make by continually manipulating our fragile egos into thinking the universe is aware of our existence and has planned accordingly.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

eylul

Quote from: aitm on December 22, 2014, 07:05:53 PM
The calendar is a human invention that decides that the yearly return of the sun in a specific spot in the "heavens" somehow means there is a mathematical logic to its travels, therefore the dates are "recurring" as such and worthy of being considered as a repeated date albeit one "year" later based on the suns travels. In reality your birth date was…and cannot be repeated. But hey think of the money we humans can make by continually manipulating our fragile egos into thinking the universe is aware of our existence and has planned accordingly.
Wow i will never use the words about birth, day, birthday etc. and never celebrate, never and ever. thank you btw, enough information for me, i was wondering how it goes on.

Shiranu

I mean, if people actually want to complain about a day to celebrate and enjoy life, have at it...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

kilodelta

Birthdays have whatever value that you'd like to apply to them. My wife puts a dollar value to her birthday.
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

aitm

A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Draconic Aiur

Birthdays are another reason to party because your you and who isn't adding to the occasion of love ones and beer?

GrinningYMIR

Technically yeah, but sometimes a little day dedicated to you isn't so bad
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

kilodelta

Quote from: aitm on December 22, 2014, 08:51:51 PM
:think:

She always asks for a couple hundred in cash every year. Normally, she goes and spends it on slot machines.
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

Green Bottle

You need to chill dtq an just enjoy the day....... :new_birthday:        :arrow: :pidu:
God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

Mermaid

Everyone wants to feel special sometimes. Why not celebrate the day you were born, no matter how much of an artificial construct it is?
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

TrueStory

Congrats on rotating around the sun one more time.
Please don't take anything I say seriously.

SGOS

Redbox gives you a free movie on your birthday, if you sign up for some special offer thingy.

dtq123

Let me put it this way: Should people be allowed to force others to give gifts on their birthday? My parents think so and it's a bit tiring to give gifts every single year to other people, and I don't always want gifts (especially if it's just clothes)
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

AllPurposeAtheist

Breavick fucked up Norway on my birthday.. Other than that and my birthday nothing else ever happened on that day ever in recorded history.. Maybe some 13th century monk got the clap and died..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.