Norfolk Vicar tells children "There is no Santa"

Started by Munch, December 19, 2014, 09:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2878698/Santa-s-not-real-Shock-claim-vicar-ruins-Christmas-seven-year-olds-festive-concert-infuriates-parents.html

QuoteWhen a curate asked primary school children at an end-of-term service what Christmas was about, she should have guessed what was coming.

But after several excitedly called out ‘Father Christmas’, Rev Margaret McPhee stunned them by claiming the jolly chap in the red suit didn’t exist.

She apologised for the comment immediately after the service but outraged parents are now threatening to boycott her village church, St Mary’s in Stalham, Norfolk, for ruining the magic of the season.

Some have even tried to undo the damage by telling their children the married assistant priest is a ‘liar’.

Furious messages posted on the internet include one from Colin and Clare Jefkins, who said: ‘Sorry my child will not attend any more church services again.

‘She would not like it if we said there was no “God”.’ Michelle Ryan added: ‘Rev McPhee has put me off taking my children to church just in case something else gets said.’

Tara Fiske wrote that both her children believe, saying: ‘They grow up far too quickly already, people shouldn’t try to make them grow up faster!!!! I had to tell my children that the vicar was a liar basically, so I could keep my children believing.’

Peppa Cuthbert complained future Christmas services had been ‘tainted’ by the outburst. ‘I think a lot of people probably felt like walking out but out of respect for the children sat in shock at what was said,’ she said.

And Samantha Tisshaw described how her confused seven-year-old son asked her: ‘Mum, why did Reverend Margaret lie to us?’

The Church of England service was held on Monday for the pupils of Stalham Academy Primary School, which has 340 children aged seven to 11.

Oh the irony.. the Irony..
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

aitm

There really is no more appropriate response than: "the irony..the irony"
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Munch

From what I understand, she's receiving a load of abuse from twitter too ^^

Poison Tree

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKUOB8MN4Kc

If we can just turn this into a trend. Religion killing Santa and the backlash killing religion.
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

SGOS

We need to put Santa back into Christmas.  Christians are trying to hijack a perfectly good holiday, and turn into something religious.

Atheon

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Hydra009

These are the same people who call atheist meannies for saying that God isn't real.

Aletheia

Quote from: Jakenessif you believe in the supernatural, you do not understand modern science. Period.

Munch

"Yes children, the stories of the kindly old man who comes to give you presents on christmas eve is all made up, its a lie told by your parents to make you feel happy, and thank you all for coming to this building made in the name of our lord and savior who does exist in a place called heaven and where if you don't praise his name you will be sent to a place called hell. Now drink this wine which is a the blood of gods son who died and came back to life"

dtq123

At least the first one does better without context.
"Drink my blood, and eat my flesh"
:oak:
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

eylul

Munch

Quote from: eylul on December 22, 2014, 06:24:35 PM
Finally they have something to argue with :o

Parents and children against the christian body? That'll be an interesting war.

Twilightomens

It's just completely ridiculous to me how much effort people put into lying to their kids about Santa.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Aletheia

Nothing like a big lie carried out by everyone you know, as well as strangers, teachers, other students, and society as a whole to make you feel like you can trust in other people. I'm surprised the Santa Claus lie isn't more damaging to children.
Quote from: Jakenessif you believe in the supernatural, you do not understand modern science. Period.