News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Evolution Taught By The Expert

Started by Solitary, December 17, 2014, 01:55:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary

http://youtu.be/jNhtbmXzIaM  It's fun to read the comments by those that don't have a clue about evolution, and still thinks it is about creation of life---idiots!  :wall: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

AllPurposeAtheist

Oh yeah? Then why don't you ever see goldfish giving birth to elephants?
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Solitary

I saw a horse fly once, and a peanut stand, how do you explain that?  :butt:
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Hydra009

I don't like Dawkins saying that the Big Bang singularity exploded (18:30ish).  The way I've always heard it described by cosmologists is that space itself expanded, effectively increasing the distance between any two points, like blowing up a balloon.  Imho, he probably shouldn't even have fielded the question about the Big Bang, since its irrelevant to biological evolution.  It's like covering the origins of oil to explain how cars work.  It might sate one's curiosity, but it's not very pertinent info.

Otherwise, Dawkins does a great job at breaking this stuff down and patiently fielding some VERY dumb questions and non-questions that are essentially creationist arguments.  It was amazing how many of the questions are theological/philosophical rather than scientific - like the purpose of life or how to reconcile evolution and belief in God.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hydra009 on December 21, 2014, 12:08:44 PM
I don't like Dawkins saying that the Big Bang singularity exploded (18:30ish).  The way I've always heard it described by cosmologists is that space itself expanded, effectively increasing the distance between any two points, like blowing up a balloon.  Imho, he probably shouldn't even have fielded the question about the Big Bang, since its irrelevant to biological evolution.  It's like covering the origins of oil to explain how cars work.  It might sate one's curiosity, but it's not very pertinent info.

Otherwise, Dawkins does a great job at breaking this stuff down and patiently fielding some VERY dumb questions and non-questions that are essentially creationist arguments.  It was amazing how many of the questions are theological/philosophical rather than scientific - like the purpose of life or how to reconcile evolution and belief in God.
That video is older than the inflation theory, IIRC. Richard may not have been aware of it then.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Ah.  Judging from the upload date, I assumed the video was fairly recent.  Apparently, it's from a circa 2008 documentary.  Inflation was public knowledge at that time, wasn't it?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hydra009 on December 21, 2014, 03:09:41 PM
Ah.  Judging from the upload date, I assumed the video was fairly recent.  Apparently, it's from a circa 2008 documentary.  Inflation was public knowledge at that time, wasn't it?
Not sure when the announcement was made. Ah, Guth and Linde developed the theory in the '80s. Probable proof was found last March. This what I was remembering.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers