News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

How Do You Celebrate XMass?

Started by Solitary, December 17, 2014, 12:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary

QuoteMichael: “Get them out of the house. This year, I’m taking my parents to New Orleans for Christmas. Get them out of their comfort zone and in the mindset (ahead of time) to accept new things with the excitement of traveling. It’s easier to be yourself when you’re not in their environment….”

William: “…December 25th is a mid-winter excuse to meet with family. We sing songs (including Christmas carols, because what other music can a 96 year old sing with her 5 year old great-great-grandson?) We give gifts to children, we have a big meal, and we drink a bit too much wine and we cherish the day as the most special on the calendar. …”

Katy Cordeth: “Fundamentalist Christian, fundamentalist atheist. Spot the difference. Those invited to spend Yuletide at Casa Cordeth will not be required to display their non-believer credentials on arrival. Any guest who wishes to pray during this festive period is more than welcome to. I for one am actually rather fond of Midnight Mass. Oh sweet Jesus I think I’ve begun to feel Christmassy. ”

Lidia: “I usually get in a heated argument and have to leave the room. I regret (it) and promise myself I won’t do it again.“

Sharona: “This will be my first Christmas as an atheist! … I haven’t ‘come out’ yet, and am not sure how to do so, judging from how I was almost disowned for marrying a non-believer. …

“I guess the key is to look at the type of religious person you are dealing with and cater your response accordingly. Crazy, conspiracy-theory-loving, doomsday religious mother? Grin-and-bear it and probably never tell her. Decent, educated christian friends? Heck yeah, tell them the truth and hope to deconvert them!! …”

Rayhana: “… Why can’t we have holidays like Newton Day? Merry Gravity? Happy Faraday? On Michael Faraday’s Birthday? Also, why not Relativity Day? On Einstein’s birthday?”

Dee: “… Have a secular party where something natural is celebrated like the winter solstice. People can bring canned goods for a food bank and celebrate their non-faith in the same joyous way that others do in their places of ‘faith’. When friends talk about praying for two hours (true story), I talk about reading Stephen Hawking for two hours. I don’t comment on their practice, I just jump in with enthusiasm for mine. …”

headswapboy: “I don’t think I want to fight for a secular society, but if they’re up for it I’d be more than happy to take on the pope, the Archbishop of Canterbury, the Dalai Lama, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, Kim Jong Un and any other current religious leaders in a dance off. …”

Dave: “… We may abhor the irrational beliefs that religion presents, but we can cherish the beautiful traditions, art, and music they have brought us over the centuries. …”

Linda: “For those who have an imaginary friend in their lives, I treat them the same as everyone else, knowing too well that I have been dumped by family & friends for not joining them in their psychotic journey, I live & let live. Their loss for dumping me for their imaginary friend!”

Hera2u: “As an italian american atheist and vegetarian, if my nona disallowed me my chance to go to her house to pick the meat out of her lasagna and play copious amounts of canasta on christmas, i would be very hurt and am glad she accepted me and my ‘modern’ choices.

“… if one of the children came to me in years time as a believer … i would be as accommodating to them and their ‘modern’ friends as my nona was to me. ”

Sean W.: “I still feel the need to defend somewhat at least the idea of not inviting people or not going to see them just because they are family.

… If a family is largely homophobic, racist, or generally unpleasant, then the fact
they make a great lasagna really means squat. If they aren’t, then what exactly do we imagine we’ve overcome by tolerating their company? …”

SaganTheCat: ” … It’s like saying, is there a way to fight for sexual equality or gay rights without believers getting all self-righteous or jihady. This question was answered long ago by Gregory House: ‘If you could reason with religious people, there’d be no religious people’. anyway must dash, this war on christmas won’t fight itself….Chaaaaaarge!!!”

Michael: “I would suggest an evolutionary approach: To develop a secular society we need to have more children than religious people and teach them to think not believe.”

James: “… Show them we include everyone in our acceptance. … Don’t berate anyone for their opinion, but do gently remind them that we accept them, so they should please accept us.”

Ryan: “it shouldn’t be a goal of secular organizations to try and appease believers and their feelings. We’re fighting for a better future, one free of dogmatic, poisonous and overbearing religions that keep a large portion of our fellow humans in a primeval, archaic and academically dangerous world view. …”

Wishing everyone a Merry Xmas and a Secular New Year! Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

The Skeletal Atheist

Usually I just cry into my beer and play Russian roulette with myself. After that I play a nice game of "what will happen if I down all these pills in one go?", but this year I GUESS I'll spend my holidays with family and friends.

Lol, I'm actually very happy. I have Xmas and Newyear's off. :D
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Deidre32

This year, going to Xmas Eve mass for the first time in a few years...with my dad, who I've had a strained relationship with ...but, maybe miracles do happen. lol For I'm sort of looking forward to all of this. I have an awesome dress for the occasion, too. hehe

I then will spend it with my parents/relatives, and possibly my ex bf...who I've been chatting with, again. Might be a Christmas to remember. ^_^

Eat, drink and be merry--above all else. lol
The only lasting beauty, is the beauty of the heart. - Rumi

Munch

My x-mas' are different each year. 3 years ago I spent it with my boyfriend who came from scotland to be here. The next was a very casual one with my mum. This year will be a whole family get together with mum, my brother and his wife, and my two nephews.. so.. its years gonna be a tiring one.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Atheon

I go to a friends' house every year, where we have a potluck dinner (I always bring the turkey).
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Aletheia

Christmas is always a fun holiday for someone with suicidal ideation. Generally I wallow in misery until a friend or family member slaps some sense into me, tells me life isn't that bad, and then I'm forced to be merry against my will.

So far, it's worked out rather well... although I do look at presents with much suspicion.

Quote from: Jakenessif you believe in the supernatural, you do not understand modern science. Period.

Mermaid

I recently read that it's a myth that more people are suicidal around the holidays.

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

aitm

I will experiment, as always, on the amount and mixture of alcoholic drinks that I can consume whilst not wetting the front of my pants from the inordinate amount of urine produced by said alcoholic drinks.

My experiment starts the night of the 22nd as i have off 5 days this year, and shall end on the night of the 4th of Jan. You may see me in the "drunk" thread a time or two ( I have to fit in about 5 days of work in there sporadically but I am a professional and shall "endeavor to persevere")

Happy Holidays everyone!

bonus point to the first one to correctly, without google, give me the movie where that line came from
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Deidre32

Quote from: Mermaid on December 21, 2014, 08:58:03 AM
I recently read that it's a myth that more people are suicidal around the holidays.

Really? I've wondered this.
The only lasting beauty, is the beauty of the heart. - Rumi

Chris topherbrow

Quote from: Deidre32 on December 20, 2014, 01:26:43 AM
This year, going to Xmas Eve mass for the first time in a few years...with my dad, who I've had a strained relationship with ...but, maybe miracles do happen. lol For I'm sort of looking forward to all of this. I have an awesome dress for the occasion, too. hehe

I then will spend it with my parents/relatives, and possibly my ex bf...who I've been chatting with, again. Might be a Christmas to remember. ^_^

Eat, drink and be merry--above all else. lol
you should go to a cathedral or Basilica of that would be awesome!  they go all the way with Christmas decorations at places like that and have the best choirs and the most candles.

Mermaid

Quote from: Deidre32 on December 21, 2014, 06:20:17 PM
Really? I've wondered this.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/06/holiday-suicide-myth_n_6270372.html

This is the only thing I've read about it, so take it with a grain of salt. I thought it was interesting.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR