News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Are humans EVIL by nature

Started by MrsSassyPants, December 14, 2014, 10:24:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrsSassyPants

Quote from: agnostic on December 15, 2014, 02:22:08 AM
I wouldn't say all humans but I always wonder what makes some people so evil. Is it just the experiences they have been through in life that have made them that way, I dunno.

Yes, what makes them enjoy others suffering!!??

Someone said it was about "majority" (that wasn't exactly what they said, but I liked it) and YES YES YES, when someone is evil and then gets a following the snowball really gains momentum.  Next thing we know we are fkd.
If you don't chew big red then FUCK YOU!

MrsSassyPants

SO NOW I HAVE TO ASK, ARE ATHEISTS KINDER THAN AVERAGE PEOPLE?   I dont know how this could be answered honestly, but I feel as though my regard for fellow human is above average.  I only have co workers to compare to, and they are just scum.   About 1/2 dozen rotten miserable eggs day in and day out.  Tis why I will not be spending my night at the work Xmas party.
If you don't chew big red then FUCK YOU!

Solitary

I think people are evil when they are ignorant thinking they have knowledge from being educated idiots. The Nazis were well educated, but ignorant, even scientists that worked making the first atomic bomb and rocket, but the worst were the military and politicians that used it. "Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of men?" "The Shadow knows!"
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

the_antithesis

Quote from: MrsSassyPants on December 15, 2014, 08:55:23 AM
SO NOW I HAVE TO ASK, ARE ATHEISTS KINDER THAN AVERAGE PEOPLE?   

What the fuck is wrong with you?

PickelledEggs

Humans aren't evil by nature, they are nature by nature.... meaning: we have a set of instincts that we have. Survival techniques and instincts. Many of these are compassionate and make us feel the need to get along with others, but obviously when we feel threatened, our more hostile instincts kick in. Arguments come out... sometimes fists and bullets fly...

More times than not, the more hostile instincts come out when a preconceived belief is in play. Not necessarily religion, but really any cult of personality... When someone believes it is immoral to be a certain way and the best way to handle that person is with violence... that is when evil comes out IMO.

Jason78

Quote from: MrsSassyPants on December 14, 2014, 01:41:57 PM
I just don't understand why people can be so mean.  Lame maybe, but my nature is the "do unto others" bull shit. 

Do unto others, before they do unto you?
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Jason78 on December 16, 2014, 02:07:42 PM
Do unto others, before they do unto you?
Do unto others, then split.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Twilightomens

I think individual humans are generally kinder than some large groups...it's almost as though we all have a little evil inside of us and when we get together it just...maximizes.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Berati

Quote from: Twilightomens on December 21, 2014, 10:59:35 PM
I think individual humans are generally kinder than some large groups...it's almost as though we all have a little evil inside of us and when we get together it just...maximizes.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
i.e. A person can be nice but people are assholes.
Carl Sagan
"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

dtq123

Most People want the best for themselves, so this includes malevolent intent. Does this mean evil? We want to share resources so we can get those resources back later, so not always.
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

Aletheia

It is in our nature to be selfish and impulsive toward short-term gains - much like any other creature on the planet. However, due to our more evolved intellect and quite a few instincts geared toward group cooperation/cohesion, we are able to understand delayed gratification, impulse control, feel a need to be around others, experience empathy, can be prompted towards altruism in given situations, and can work out the tenets of morality both on an intellectual as well as an instinctual level.

We are a creature that is always warring between baser animal instinct and intellectual understanding. Some people are more adept at reigning in their base desires and other people are more impulsive. As a result, you'll see a lot of people who mean well, and probably understand their actions will not yield good results, but let their emotions rule them in the moment. Other people may have had enough incentive to try to control their impulsiveness more - such as not wanting to lose their job, spouse, kids, car, etc. Other people seem to figure things out much sooner and have more self-control.

Don't let your current workplace be your only source in which to gauge humanity as a whole. Some areas will have higher stress levels, due to poverty, unfair laws or policies, or a general sense of hopelessness. The higher the stress the more people are prone to be self-interested and impulsive. It doesn't make them necessarily evil, just desperate.

I've worked in some really horrible places. The job, itself wasn't the source of the stress. Rather it was the neighborhoods where most of my co-workers resided. Their sense of hopelessness and self-interest carried over into the work environment. Everyone reacted to this in their own way and that made for short-tempers, higher chance of theft, and lack of desire to work as a group.

Sometimes, there's more to the story than what you can see when it comes to "evil" people. Very rarely is someone genuinely evil.
Quote from: Jakenessif you believe in the supernatural, you do not understand modern science. Period.

christy starseeker

Good and evil are subjective notions created in order to cast some sort of meaning on our actions, nothing more. :)

FreeX

Evil does not actually exist, despite the horrors we see in the world.

I'm going to try to explain something here in regards to human nature, so this will take a bit of time.

When we examine sentient life in general, there is at least one thing that all sentient life inherently has:

Preservation of Self

This is the root of us all. Each of us will do whatever is required to preserves ourselves from either death or some kind of harm.

From this root, there are two things that spring up that offer us the only real choices we have:

1. Increase our Pleasure.

2. Decrease our Pain.

Humans are always trying to do things that bring some degree of pleasure in their lives, and/or they do things that will decrease the amount of pain in their lives. Every last thing we do originates from the root of Preserving our Selves, and then from there we either increase our pleasure, decrease our pain, or both.

Also, it is absolutely impossible for people to perform a selfless act. Every last thing we do is a selfish act because we are designed to preserve ourselves through either decreasing our pain or increasing our pleasure.

Arguments against this can sometimes be presented like this:

"What about the soldier who throws himself on top of a grenade to protect his fellow soldiers and gives up his life for them?"

That argument sounds like a selfless act, but really it isn't. Let me explain ...

The first thing you need to do is ask the question of "what motivated the soldier to sacrifice his preservation of self to save the lives of his fellow soldiers?"

Was it fear? If so, fear is a painful emotion.
Was it love? If so, love is a compassionate emotion in this case, and compassion is sadness and can be painful.

No matter how you view it, the soldier was motivated by something that caused him pain, and he made the choice to decrease his pain even at the sacrificing of his self. That is not a selfless act, but rather a selfish act.

So what I am getting at here is that since we are all inherently selfish, then many of us will do whatever is required to increase our pleasure or decrease our pain. Some people take great pleasure in doing things that we- on the surface- consider to be "evil." But the reality is that many people will perform these so-called acts of evil to empower themselves over others as a means of preserving themselves at the very root.

A murderer will kill someone because that someone has become a threat in some way.

A thief will steal things to decrease his pain, which could be brought on by hunger, desire, or any other emotion. He will also steal for the pleasure of the reward.

This is not evil. This is human nature. We have complex and heightened emotions that other animals do not have, and some of the emotions can motivate us to do whatever it takes to preserve our selves by increasing our pleasure or decreasing our pain, or both.

Gaining pleasure can be an addictive thing. Once started, and enticed excessively and obsessively, the desire for greater pleasures in life can motivate some people to do horrible things that most of us would not even consider doing. The same thing goes for decreasing our pain in life.

Our individual environments greatly affect how we view our own individual needs. But at the end of the day, each and every one of us is constantly doing just 2 things so that we satisfy our inherent need to preserve ourselves.

That's my opinion on this matter of "evil."

Atheism is defined as "having no beliefs in any gods." Isn't that exactly the way we were born? I am an atheist because I was BORN THIS WAY.

Desdinova

Some people are just dickweeds.  They're the ones who cut in line at the amusement park or steal your parking space at the mall.  They're assholes sure, but are they what we describe as evil?  To me something that is evil is anything that does planned, irreparable mental or physical harm to innocent people.  Hitler was evil.  Gacy was evil.  I wouldn't categorize my co-workers as evil just because they tell my boss I whack off in the men's room.  You could say I had it coming to me.
"How long will we be
Waiting, for your modern messiah
To take away all the hatred
That darkens the light in your eye"
  -Disturbed, Liberate

Draconic Aiur

Quote from: the_antithesis on December 14, 2014, 11:06:48 AM
If you want to know about evil, it's all contained inside this book.

[spoiler]

And Evil only exists in this book.[/spoiler]

Whenever i make a character it's always chaotic evil even it starts at chaotic good.