News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Are humans EVIL by nature

Started by MrsSassyPants, December 14, 2014, 10:24:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrsSassyPants

If this topic has been discussed before then forgive me. I am too lazy to look it up.   But God damnit the people in my life, mainly coworkers are god damn shameful in their everyday behavior.  Which made me think of the holocaust, and what our own species is capable of when given power.  Do we just have different abilities when it comes to containing our evil?
If you don't chew big red then FUCK YOU!

MrsSassyPants

Please entertain me someone.  I am on the edge of my seat....

the_antithesis

If you want to know about evil, it's all contained inside this book.

[spoiler]

And Evil only exists in this book.[/spoiler]

wolf39us

GrinningYMIR

Quote from: the_antithesis on December 14, 2014, 11:06:48 AM
If you want to know about evil, it's all contained inside this book.

[spoiler]

And Evil only exists in this book.[/spoiler]

I'm not evil, I'm chaotic neutral!

Evil is a manner of perspective
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

the_antithesis

MrsSassyPants

Oh well, it just seems that when evil people find each other they have no limits, regard, concern, empathy, yada yada yada, wasnt sure if there were any studies on this. 

Subjective it is.  I am atheist, but I am not exactly on the same education level as Dawkins or Darwin.  I just got lucky enough to be good at smelling bull shit, too bad I didn't get the brains some atheists have.

stromboli

Evil is a term, a word. Apply it as you see fit. But humans are not evil by nature. That we have a sense of morals and an understanding of right and wrong shows we are capable of good, which means evil is not necessarily inherent.

MrsSassyPants

I just don't understand why people can be so mean.  Lame maybe, but my nature is the "do unto others" bull shit. 

Berati

No, I don't believe humans are evil by nature.
We possess both good and bad tendencies.
Carl Sagan
"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

the_antithesis

I have a real bad feeling about this.

kilodelta

I've always felt that humankind is the best and worst thing about our planet. There is little that we can do about the people that make mankind the worst, but we can always try to be the best ourselves.
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

aitm

I believe on a "neutral field" 95% of humanity are caring and considerate people. When the table starts to slant, the rise of "evil" is directly proportional to the percentage of people who prescribe to a certain belief or are of a certain following. The greater the majority of any belief, following, heritage or religion the greater the capacity of "evil".
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Shiranu

Quite the opposite OP, I believe that humans are born inherently neutral & good and that we must work to maintain that. There are very few people I would consider inherently "evil" (a term I despise) due to mental illnesses, but the overwhelming majority of people who do bad things have reasons for why they do them. The reasons may be dead wrong, but this is a matter of not teaching them ethics or having a proper education, not a matter of them being innately mean.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

agnostic

I wouldn't say all humans but I always wonder what makes some people so evil. Is it just the experiences they have been through in life that have made them that way, I dunno.