Freedom From Religion Foundation files lawsuit

Started by widdershins, February 28, 2013, 01:46:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

widdershins

The Freedom From Religion Foundation has filed a lawsuit demanding that the IRS take action against churches who openly violated federal law banning nonprofits from taking part in political campaigns and endorsing candidates.  Hopefully some religious nuts will be losing their undeserved tax exempt status pretty soon.  What's the best way to get a church to comply with regulations?  Hit them in the pocket book.  I'm quite sure they'll all step right in line the very moment it starts costing them money.

//http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/15/freedom-from-religion-foundation-lawsuit_n_2138457.html?utm_hp_ref=atheism
This sentence is a lie...

Plu

This should be interesting.

SGOS

Quote from: "Plu"This should be interesting.
Taxing churches would be a pretty bold move, even churches that violate tax laws.  But whatever the outcome, it will be fun watching Christians and Fox News complain about it.

Zatoichi

Well, since the bible says, "Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God," they can hardly have any complaint if they are taxed for disobeying the law.... says so right there in that thar 'Good Book' so it's gotsta be tha troof, right? And they can't complain about the big bad Gubmint telling them what to do because "the powers that be are ordained of God."

Bout time someone took this on.
"If the thought of something makes me giggle for longer than 15 seconds, I am to assume that I am not allowed to do it." ~Skippy's List

commonsense822

I hope they win, but I think they will lose.  Politicians like pandering to the religious too much, they won't let this fly.

Jmpty

Time to "Render unto Cesar what is Cesar's" Bitches.
???  ??

Davka

I remember when the only time you saw blatant political campaigning in churches was when Democratic candidates went and "preached" at a black church. These days it seems like every evangelical church in America is on the campaign trail, convinced that Jesus is a Republican.

IMO, all churches should be taxed. If they want to run a nonprofit on the side, fine, but pretending that their weekly meetings are providing a needed service is bullshit. They're a business, their 'product' is sermons, their CEO is the pastor.

Thumpalumpacus

I agree -- churches should be taxed.  They are, after all, businesses.
<insert witty aphorism here>