News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Why the world hates atheists

Started by Berati, December 11, 2014, 08:44:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berati

Carl Sagan
"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

stromboli

For the most part, FFRF has done a very good job picking its battles. It comes down between picking what battles to fight and what makes atheists look like dicks.This may err to the dick side, but the fact that theists get butt hurt because we are speaking out is not our problem, but theirs.

so the decision is between picking your fights versus being in every fight. FFRF will come up looking like a dick sometimes, so in the end it will happen; move on, and continue what you are doing. 

Hydra009

Comparing that stuff to segregation (not to mention genocide) is a bit of a stretch obviously, but giving preferential treatment to theists over atheists is still pretty bad.

It's pretty unnerving how the Daily Show interview format could be used to disparage any position.  It's fortuitous that conservatives don't use this format against liberals.

AllPurposeAtheist

It probably comes as a shocker, but not all atheists are alike just like not all Christians burn people at the stake.. Some of us like fried babies and some like them boiled and some don't even like kids at all..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

SGOS

I wouldn't say that Barker is being a dick as the Daily Show implies.  He's making a point, a point that a lot of people disagree with, including Jon Stewart, but that doesn't make him a dick.  I think people who call atheists dicks are the dicks.  Unfortunately, I don't have my own TV show, so I don't get to say that.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on December 11, 2014, 12:04:21 PMI wouldn't say that Barker is being a dick as the Daily Show implies.  He's making a point, a point that a lot of people disagree with, including Jon Stewart, but that doesn't make him a dick.  I think people who call atheists dicks are the dicks.  Unfortunately, I don't have my own TV show, so I don't get to say that.
I think that a lot of atheists are dicks.  I also think that a lot of people are dicks.  And I've noticed that religious people tend to call atheists dicks when they want to dismiss their arguments out of hand.

Berati

It seemed to me the daily show was being unfair because the original menu said you got a discount for saying "a prayer". Then during the show the woman said you could get the discount for anything, even breathing. I'm sure had they said that from the start, there would have been no issue.
The discount changed from "prayer" to "anything" only once the cameras were rolling.
Carl Sagan
"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

Hydra009

Quote from: Berati on December 11, 2014, 12:50:22 PM
It seemed to me the daily show was being unfair because the original menu said you got a discount for saying "a prayer". Then during the show the woman said you could get the discount for anything, even breathing. I'm sure had they said that from the start, there would have been no issue.
The discount changed from "prayer" to "anything" only once the cameras were rolling.
It's almost as if they were lying to downplay the severity of what they were doing.

AllPurposeAtheist

I watched it last night and it was over the top, but hardly representative of anyone I know.. The show though is about satire and they obviously have the advantage, like all TV shows have of being able to edit and take things out of context.. We'll never see the rest of what never aired so I just assume it was satire..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Berati

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on December 11, 2014, 12:54:03 PM
I watched it last night and it was over the top, but hardly representative of anyone I know.. The show though is about satire and they obviously have the advantage, like all TV shows have of being able to edit and take things out of context.. We'll never see the rest of what never aired so I just assume it was satire..
I get that, but you can't misrepresent what occurred in order to make the satire work. They are not exempt from having to keep the story in context.

They took the restaurant to task for offering "prayer" discounts, not knowing that you could apparently get a discount for anything at all. I think maybe the atheist group failed to do any investigation before sending their threatening letter and that was the real problem.
Carl Sagan

stromboli

Quote from: Hydra009 on December 11, 2014, 12:28:34 PM
I think that a lot of atheists are dicks.  I also think that a lot of people are dicks.  And I've noticed that religious people tend to call atheists dicks when they want to dismiss their arguments out of hand.

I think the ratio of atheist dick to ordinary dicks is about equal. But if you want to do a dick count, I'm pretty sure religion wins.

gussy

They should have sent a few bearded men in with floor mats and had them pray facing Mecca.  That would have emptied out the entire restaurant.  But really it is just a dumb little gimmick to get customers in and have them believe they are saving money.  Not worth the effort if you ask me.

SGOS

Quote from: Berati on December 11, 2014, 12:50:22 PM
I caught those things too.  The actual purpose of the discount didn't fit the desired script, so they back peddled to create the desired perception.  Actually, this sort of "reporting" is scripted beforehand, and I watched that great champion of "exposing truth," 60 minutes, do the same thing when they paid a visit to my town.  The full story was left untold because it didn't fit the script.  It's the media.  It's what they do.

Gawdzilla Sama

Calling "all atheists" anything is like calling "all people who like cunnilingus" pussies.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: gussy on December 12, 2014, 12:09:53 AM
But really it is just a dumb little gimmick to get customers in and have them believe they are saving money.  Not worth the effort if you ask me.
Probably true.