News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any other republicans here?

Started by Corporate36, December 08, 2014, 05:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PickelledEggs

Quote from: stromboli on December 10, 2014, 07:32:28 PM
Maybe a rule of thumb that we be nice to the newbies for at least the first ten posts before we trash them.
I like that idea.

We have to keep in mind. Even some of us say some stupid and offensive shit. A lot of times it's because of what is going on IRL or just the way it comes off when we type. I think we can at least get a little bit better feel for who a new person is before we rip on them.

If there really is a suspected troll, use the report button. It makes it easier for us mods to investigate than when there is so much other commotion from other people making commotion.

Imagine reading through a 10 page thread trying to find where it went sour? Aint nobody's got time for that. It's a lot more time consuming than if there was just someone pointing out the suspicion/violation with the "report to moderator" button.

And then us mods will be able to handle it in the easiest and most stress-free way possible.

Like this! :lol:

Mermaid

Quote from: PickelledEggs on December 10, 2014, 08:15:11 PM
I like that idea.

We have to keep in mind. Even some of us say some stupid and offensive shit. A lot of times it's because of what is going on IRL or just the way it comes off when we type. I think we can at least get a little bit better feel for who a new person is before we rip on them.

If there really is a suspected troll, use the report button. It makes it easier for us mods to investigate than when there is so much other commotion from other people making commotion.

Imagine reading through a 10 page thread trying to find where it went sour? Aint nobody's got time for that. It's a lot more time consuming than if there was just someone pointing out the suspicion/violation with the "report to moderator" button.

And then us mods will be able to handle it in the easiest and most stress-free way possible.

Like this! :lol:

Oh you and your logic and reason. Psh.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

PickelledEggs

stromboli

Although you have to admit, the opening statement pretty much painted a target on the guy.......

AllPurposeAtheist

So the new rule is we gotta be nice to flaming assholes for 10 posts? When your opening post pretty much declares yourself a flaming asshole 10 automatically becomes 1. I don't see much need to change from established protocol.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

caseagainstfaith

Quote from: stromboli on December 10, 2014, 02:08:09 PM
Oh come now. we may be a cache of liberals, closeted or otherwise, but healthy debate on politics from a Republican atheist in my view would be interesting. I honestly didn't know such things existed.......... :think:

Years ago, we had a guy named Saitou who was a Republican.  That was years ago, and, he probably wouldn't the current direction of the party.
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on December 11, 2014, 11:57:19 AM
So the new rule is we gotta be nice to flaming assholes for 10 posts? When your opening post pretty much declares yourself a flaming asshole 10 automatically becomes 1. I don't see much need to change from established protocol.
no. It was just a suggestion to be a little more lenient with new people. You don't have to though. If someone is blatantly being a prick, they're probably going to be dumped in purgatory/banned eventually anyway.

AllPurposeAtheist

You mean there's a difference between being a republican and being a blatant prick? When the hell did that shit start? :eek:

PickelledEggs

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on December 11, 2014, 12:43:52 PM
You mean there's a difference between being a republican and being a blatant prick? When the hell did that shit start? :eek:
The two tend to come hand-in-hand. But being a prick is not necessarily exclusive to being a republican. There are more pricks out there other than republicans. Think of rectangles as pricks. Republicans are squares. All squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares. :lol: It's basic math.

AllPurposeAtheist

I'm not saying all republicans are blatant pricks, just every republican I've ever known and they LOVE them some of that there fuzzy math..

MarineWarrior

Historically I have been a republican but more and more I lean left and in all honesty I hate both parties.  If they would quit fighting over meaningless stuff like gay marriage, not that it is meaningless as I am all for it and the sooner people figure out that the sooner we treat each other as equals the better off we'll be.  The fighting over things that I think everyone here agrees with is just dumb and a waste of time and money.  Being a former Marine I'll probably always agree with defense spending, especially given the perception globally of America.  I always threaten to move to Canada, Denmark, Sweden or Iceland since you never hear too many bad things about those countries.  Rant over.
Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

-Carl Sagan

Mike Cl

Quote from: MarineWarrior on December 12, 2014, 08:50:29 AM
  Being a former Marine I'll probably always agree with defense spending, especially given the perception globally of America.

Welcome, BTW.  And being a former US Army/NG/active reserve for 12 yrs (Intel), I can appreciate that.  But then, it is mainly because of the misuse of that military might that people hate us.  I really don't think we need bases in over 140 countries.  Maybe we should work at reducing our military, rather than increase it.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

stromboli

I voted Republican back in the day, but now I am an independent. Personally I don't think identifying as a Republican is reason for being denounced or attacked. I would really like to hear from someone who is a Republican atheist and get their views. I am here to learn; the more we know the more weapons we have in our arsenal.

doorknob

I use to be republican when I listened to rushlimbaugh and other talking heads. Then I grew up did some of my own research and thinking and awakened to the fact that they are completely full of shit. Not only that but democrats more match up with my values.

As far as the economy goes I have not seen wealth in my personal life and every one in my age group seems to be struggling to get above minimum wage which is unacceptable. Minimum wage is the hardest wage to work and has no pay off. Then wonder why people seem to be lazy on the job or just plain don't want to work minimum. My sister is a neurotic mess because of how stressed out she is at her minimum wage job. And she's worked a few and none of them treat their employees like humans. I've worked minimum myself and while I survived it better than she, my current tolerance for bullshit is extremely low. I know how attempting to work minimum wage again would go for me. Not well.

So any one who thinks owning a business (which my sister has a degree in) is easy to come by and no excuse to not own one had more support and options than your average joe and clearly never experienced what life is like for a commoner. It's near impossible to get a loan these days to get that business started and I'm afraid if you don't have money to start it you won't get very far. Good luck trying to survive on minimum wage let alone save money.

The rich are way out of touch with the commoners and have no understanding of what goes on in our world. No one wants to pay any one a fair wage any more so now every one on the bottom and the shrinking middle are suffering.

stromboli

So simply by labeling himself as a republican he is automatically a prick, an asshole or whatever? I've been on this forum 5 years. In that time we have had all kinds, from troubled teens to wackjob religionists to whatever, but I have never seen anyone so blatantly attacked just for stating his political leanings. This is a forum. We are supposed to debate people. This man called himself an atheist- this is an atheist forum. We have had long running debates with creationists, people who believe they can prove god exists,  and we are going to trash someone just because they are Republican?

I don't think it is fair or wise to attack people based on that, it makes us look like narrow minded hate mongers. If that is what this forum has devolved to, I think we are missing the point of what we are all about. And if that is the mindset of the forum, then I certainly don't want to contribute here.