News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any other republicans here?

Started by Corporate36, December 08, 2014, 05:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mermaid

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on December 10, 2014, 02:26:32 PM
I'm not a big fan of republicans, and I didn't like how this guy blamed games for causing violence, but we may have been too hard on him too early.
Starting out by asserting that there's no excuse for not doing well and that the economy is fine (as evidenced by his own personal success)? I don't think we were too hard on him. That is ignorant and basically hateful.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Mermaid on December 10, 2014, 06:20:51 PM
Starting out by asserting that there's no excuse for not doing well and that the economy is fine (as evidenced by his own personal success)? I don't think we were too hard on him. That is ignorant and basically hateful.
I don't know if hateful is completely accurate, going just by that comment... but it is definitely ignorant, stupid, and delusional.

GrinningYMIR

Yeah I know, it just seems like we've been smacking down anyone who comes in and thinks differently than us recently, and idiot or no, it makes us seem like the super religious folks that we hate

Granted this guy wasn't the best cookie in the box, the economy is shit right now
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

PickelledEggs

True, grinning. I think we can try to be a little nicer with our welcomes...

He did say at one point that he meant to stir some shit though.

Quote from: Corporate36 on December 08, 2014, 06:24:32 PM
The post title was perhaps intentionally a bit inflammatory.  I'm not registered as a republican, but rather as an independent, but I've switched in the past if I wanted to give a certain candidate a boost (i.e. Romney last time around).

Is it kosher to ask what country you are from?  I wasn't born in this country and have spent a lot of time traveling in Europe and Asia... my favorite things is discovering new viewpoints, cultures, and new beer :)

GrinningYMIR

That's true, still I wish we were a bit better to noobs

If you guys had blown me off like that when I first got here, i doubt I would have stayed

BUT, that does not excuse in anyway coming with an intention to start flamewars, that deserves all the attacks that it's due
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Berati

Quote from: stromboli on December 10, 2014, 02:08:09 PM
Oh come now. we may be a cache of liberals, closeted or otherwise, but healthy debate on politics from a Republican atheist in my view would be interesting. I honestly didn't know such things existed.......... :think:
e
Well, I have voted conservative in the last clouple of elections. But thats in Canada so I guess it doesn't really count.
Carl Sagan
"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

Mermaid

Quote from: PickelledEggs on December 10, 2014, 06:25:03 PM
I don't know if hateful is completely accurate, going just by that comment... but it is definitely ignorant, stupid, and delusional.
I think I see that sort of talk as hateful. Aside from being factually inaccurate, it's blaming the poor for being poor. That's vile.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: PickelledEggs on December 10, 2014, 06:34:27 PM
True, grinning. I think we can try to be a little nicer with our welcomes...

He did say at one point that he meant to stir some shit though.

Meh, he said he liked beer. That's enough for me to tolerate him, at least for a while and get to know him better.
It's not a high standard, I admit. But it's enough.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Mermaid

Green Bottle

Well if he liked beer he cant be all that bad eh...?
fk politics.........................
God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Mermaid on December 10, 2014, 06:41:33 PM
I think I see that sort of talk as hateful. Aside from being factually inaccurate, it's blaming the poor for being poor. That's vile.
True. That is pretty dick of him. Idk...  I'm feeling pleasant lately. Don't mind me...

Sent from your mom.

PickelledEggs

It depends on what kind of beer. If it's Miller or budweiser, he can go fuck himself.

Sent from your mom.

Mermaid

Quote from: PickelledEggs on December 10, 2014, 06:56:09 PM
True. That is pretty dick of him. Idk...  I'm feeling pleasant lately. Don't mind me...

Sent from your mom.

:lol:

stromboli

Maybe a rule of thumb that we be nice to the newbies for at least the first ten posts before we trash them.

Hydra009

Quote from: stromboli on December 10, 2014, 02:08:09 PMOh come now. we may be a cache of liberals, closeted or otherwise, but healthy debate on politics from a Republican atheist in my view would be interesting. I honestly didn't know such things existed.......... :think:
Historically, it might've actually been a halfway decent combination until the Republicans went with their Southern strategy and ensuing fundie takeover from within.  The Republicans actually weren't all that bad up until then.