Got the herps? Help might be on the way

Started by Agramon, December 07, 2014, 12:26:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agramon

Inhibition of LSD1 reduces herpesvirus infection, shedding, and recurrence by promoting epigenetic suppression of viral genomes

Abstract

Herpesviruses are highly prevalent and maintain lifelong latent reservoirs, thus posing challenges to the control of herpetic disease despite the availability of antiviral pharmaceuticals that target viral DNA replication. The initiation of herpes simplex virus infection and reactivation from latency is dependent on a transcriptional coactivator complex that contains two required histone demethylases, LSD1 (lysine-specific demethylase 1) and a member of the JMJD2 family (Jumonji C domainâ€"containing protein 2). Inhibition of either of these enzymes results in heterochromatic suppression of the viral genome and blocks infection and reactivation in vitro. We demonstrate that viral infection can be epigenetically suppressed in three animal models of herpes simplex virus infection and disease. Treating animals with the monoamine oxidase inhibitor tranylcypromine to inhibit LSD1 suppressed viral lytic infection, subclinical shedding, and reactivation from latency in vivo. This phenotypic suppression was correlated with enhanced epigenetic suppression of the viral genome and suggests that, even during latency, the chromatin state of the virus is dynamic. Therefore, epi-pharmaceuticals may represent a promising approach to treat herpetic diseases.

Link

TL;DR - For the herpes virus to "wake up", two compounds need to flip some "switches" (methyl groups) on its genome to turn it on. Inhibit one of the compounds that turn it on and it stays off.

This treatment has worked in three animal models so far, but will need further testing before it makes it to humans. A promising start though.
"And, tricked by our own early dream
And need of solace, we grew self-deceived,
Our making soon our maker did we deem,
And what we had imagined we believed."
- Thomas Hardy

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mermaid

That is a pretty good discovery. I love hearing about all these switches and dials that people are finding in cells and viruses, it is just fascinating.

Herpes isn't about just genitals and cold sores, chicken pox is a herpesvirus, too, and wreaks havoc on old people as shingles, which apparently really sucks. When people get shingles now, they get massive doses of acyclovir, which sorta works but sorta doesn't.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

stromboli

Can I get free samples? (of LSD, not the Herp  :naughty:)

Solitary

I'm surprised that APA hasn't responded to this post yet.  :eek: :lol:
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

GrinningYMIR

"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Agramon

Quote from: Mermaid on December 07, 2014, 08:44:17 AM
That is a pretty good discovery. I love hearing about all these switches and dials that people are finding in cells and viruses, it is just fascinating.

Herpes isn't about just genitals and cold sores, chicken pox is a herpesvirus, too, and wreaks havoc on old people as shingles, which apparently really sucks. When people get shingles now, they get massive doses of acyclovir, which sorta works but sorta doesn't.
In this series they're only looking at simplex (I'm not sure how structurally different - if at all - varicella zoster is from simplex), but hopefully chicken pox (and subsequent shingles) is on the horizon if this is successful.
"And, tricked by our own early dream
And need of solace, we grew self-deceived,
Our making soon our maker did we deem,
And what we had imagined we believed."
- Thomas Hardy

Solitary

My sister was in her 70's and died from shingles because it was so bad she overdosed on pain killers.  My oldest son just got over it, but his didn't seem as bad.
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Mermaid

God, Solitary, I'm sorry. How devastating that must have been.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Solitary on December 07, 2014, 06:59:09 PM
My sister was in her 70's and died from shingles because it was so bad she overdosed on pain killers.  My oldest son just got over it, but his didn't seem as bad.
That's terrible. :hugs: I jumped on the vaccine as soon as I was offered it.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

AllPurposeAtheist

To quote Mitch McConnell, "I'm no scientist, but..." It does seem I used to get certain 'boils' in not so fresh places and then I remember tripping those boils away!
Actually I don't remember tripping them away at all, but I haven't gotten one since around 1979 or so and frankly I've forgotten almost all of the 70s, especially that last few years of them..

Yeah..just a coincidence.. That's what I thought too.. :think:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

The Skeletal Atheist

Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

stromboli

I don't currently have shingles. Just want to see pretty colors, or whatever.