News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Do You Like anything Religious?

Started by Solitary, December 06, 2014, 10:02:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

Quote from: Atheon on December 08, 2014, 05:35:05 AM
Some fantastic music, art and architecture has been inspired by religious stuff. Angkor Wat, Westminster Abbey, Sistine Chapel ceiling, the Pyramids, the list goes on.

yeah, but a lot of architecture was built around the world with human suffering made for the sake of religion too, so it pretty much taints any beauty such wonders of the ancient world had. 
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Berati

Quote from: Solitary on December 06, 2014, 10:02:27 AM
This was a question asked on the forum, and this is an example of what I like, and also the music. The Chinese girl in the green coat in the picture is my oldest sons girlfriend. http://hls.iweek.ly/pdf/lwj/news360/2014512/320.html?from=timeline&isappinstalled=0

If you click on the picture and hold it down while moving your mouse you can scan around it and see everything. Solitary

Awesome photo. It's very hard to have a picture give you any sense of what it's like seeing something like that in person.

It's amazing what can be accomplished through OCD.
I think the type of obsessive behaviour that sometimes leads to genius is the same thing that also leads to serial killers. Oh well, you gota take the good with the bad I suppose.
Carl Sagan
"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

FieryLocks

Quote from: stromboli on December 06, 2014, 10:14:05 AM

These are my favorite kind of churches
I'll one up ya...this kind of church is better. One that's only value left is firewood...
"To surrender to ignorance and call it 'God' has always been premature, and it remains premature today"--Isaac Asimov

Desdinova

I masturbate religiously.  I like that.
"How long will we be
Waiting, for your modern messiah
To take away all the hatred
That darkens the light in your eye"
  -Disturbed, Liberate

christy starseeker

I like laughing at religion, does that count? :D

PickelledEggs

dtq123

I love how they can bow down to other people:
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

Sal1981

No.

Anything that can be done without a religious context, is something, IMO, which can be done (if not better) without it; e.g. Like religious music. I find it lacking, when compared to secular music, and with less constraints. And don't get me started on science ...

Brian37

Pretty stories and pretty buildings and pretty artwork will never take away from the destructive side of religion. No, I do not like anything religious. I do not hate human rights, I simply hate that humans have a hard time getting over myths.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Youssuf Ramadan

Two weeks off work in December.  Fuck yeah!

Cocoa Beware

Sure I guess, but many of the things you and I might appreciate at face value deserve closer scrutiny before concluding that they actually were good.

For example I love many of the structures and monuments, such as the great Gothic cathedrals.

However, it was appalling how countless people essentially had to work themselves to death, and doubly so because it meant the Church put the construction of monuments ahead of alleviating the suffering of the people on the list of priorities.

If anyone, its the slaves who built them who deserve all the credit. The Church's role in their construction was nothing short of despicable.

ThatOneGuy

Only the art and architecture. I guess the bible is interesting as historic mythology as well.

Also the fact that the word goddamn is so useful. Taking god's name in vain is the only goddamn thing he's good for.
Hey! Preachers! Leave them kids alone!

Hydra009

Quote from: Cocoa Beware on December 26, 2014, 02:13:32 PMSure I guess, but many of the things you and I might appreciate at face value deserve closer scrutiny before concluding that they actually were good.

For example I love many of the structures and monuments, such as the great Gothic cathedrals.

However, it was appalling how countless people essentially had to work themselves to death, and doubly so because it meant the Church put the construction of monuments ahead of alleviating the suffering of the people on the list of priorities.

If anyone, its the slaves who built them who deserve all the credit. The Church's role in their construction was nothing short of despicable.
There may have been some secular reasons for their construction as well.  Attracting pilgrims and their purses is certainly nice, though I'm sure that did little to offset the cost.  Definitely a symbol of the political might of the local ruler, though castles are much more daunting (and useful).

But yes, it's an extremely indulgent expense just at a time when Europe was destitute.  Virtually anything else would have been a better investment.  Heck, even that crazy guy who wanted to sail west to India would've been a better idea.  Makes you wonder why they chose the way they did.  But of course, they didn't know of all the cards on the table, nor was it a rational decision.

Some people love the sight of cathedrals.  Some people love the sight of ancient ruins.  To me, the former is every bit as much of a relic as the latter.

Munch

About 10 years ago I went with my mum and aunt to the town of Winchester here in the UK, and we visited the Winchester cathedral. Back the I thought it was fascinating, this huge stone building with countless corridors, spiral stair cases leading to upper levels and right up to the bell tower, it was really interesting then.

In retrospect now thinking back, I think about how all the stone and resources that went into building these massive structures, instead of having gone to building homes for people, all in the name of this fairy tale faith. I'm certain if star wars fans built structures this large to the force, it would be considered an eyesore by the Christians
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

wolf39us

I'll have to agree with old architecture and history.  Those things are interesting to me regardless of religion.