News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

oops! I did it again.

Started by aitm, December 05, 2014, 01:55:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aitm

So the usual churchy preachers were gathered about the entry to the Winn-Dixie (grocery store) I walked past their hand-outs on the way in and dreaded the return as they annoy the fuck out me. But lo and behold a quadriplegic was parked in my path out the door.

Him: Would like some information on your second life in heaven?
Me: Nah, not going there, dead is dead.
Him: You don't think there is a heaven?
Me: Look son, you only get one life, I have had a great life so far but I can see why you would like a do-over.. you got fucked...sorry bout that.

As I pulled out the parking lot I saw two of his fellows seeming to console him.... I felt bad about that.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

stromboli

Truth is a harsh mistress. don't feel bad.

baddogma

Oh man....lol. Why do you worship an "omnibenevolent" God that parked your ass in that chair?
"The only way you can be certain that there are good people in the world is to BE one".
-My mother

Morality is doing what is right, no matter what you are told.
Religion is doing what you are told, no matter what is right.

Hydra009

Quote from: aitm on December 05, 2014, 01:55:50 PMAs I pulled out the parking lot I saw two of his fellows seeming to console him.... I felt bad about that.

You felt bad about saying the truth?  I don't understand.

Munch

Don't feel bad. His situation might be shitty, but having these preachers convince him of an afterlife where he can walk and move is pretty fucking cruel.

This is convincing a 40 year old still of the existence of father Christmas, I've honestly known people with down syndrome who have more conceptual awareness of reality then these preaching assholes (my best friends older brother)
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Berati

Quote from: Hydra009 on December 05, 2014, 03:11:43 PM

You felt bad about saying the truth?  I don't understand.
I think it means he's still human.
I've given some barbs to the door to door types, but I never made a quadriplegic cry.
Carl Sagan
"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

Mr.Obvious

Me neither. There's nothing wrong with telling the truth, but such a statement could have stopped at 'you only get one life'. At least, that's where I would've stopped. Then again, crossing lines we feel bad about crossing later, when feeling agitated, is only human.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

_Xenu_

I'm going to go against the grain here and say that was shitty of you, aitm, and you should feel bad about it.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

Mr.Obvious

For clarification, I'm not saying you shouldn't either. I'm just glad you recognize that this was not cool and are not gloating about it.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

stromboli

Fuck it. You're a cold blooded bastard. There, I said it.  :naughty: :axe:

aitm

but…..but…..but…I said, "sorry bout that"...
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Munch

I does disturb me the idea of preachers using a guy such as a quadriplegic to proselytize in public places.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

stromboli

I've been on here long enough to figure out there's not a mean bone in your body. But you are also honest. So the conflict is more or less built in.

Solitary

I would have said the same thing, just because he's in a wheel chair doesn't change the fact that his all powerful God of love could care less about him. No matter how bad the truth hurts, it is still the truth, and if a person doesn't realize that makes their God impendent and uncaring, then they are too stupid to be hurt by whatever they are told. it isn't like you just went up to him and said it, it's the fact that he was trying to use you to feel sorry for him, and it didn't work, but it did give the nitwits with him to make him have more faith and hate atheists, and to have more power over him, to support their denial about God allowing that to happen to him. There is no low that religious nuts will go to get people to join them.  :fU:
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.