News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Morality

Started by baddogma, December 05, 2014, 12:39:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

baddogma

I just opened Youtube and had to listen to a commercial that told me the ten commandments were basically don't steal, don't commit adultery, don't murder and don't lie (never mind the absurd ones) but more basically all of them came down to one. The one which causes all the others, being coveting. You commit adultery because you covet some one's spouse, you steal because you covet some one's stuff, and you lie and murder because...well I guess that doesn't play out does it? And again never mind the other absurd ones like respecting the Sabbath and idolatry. Anyway I skipped  the end because it was obvious bullshit, but a while later Hitchens in a debate hit on something I haven't heard of yet. When it comes to morality they always want to objectify morals by saying God makes them, so they are always right,no situational consideration what so ever. We claim the moral high ground because we do not act on fear of eternal punishment or eternal reward. We do what is right for that which promotes the least harm. The euthyphro dilemma demonstrates that morality is right because God says so, which means he can change it at any time to make raping children moral, or that morality is right even without God in which case God is a messenger and not necessary at all.
   This is the point Hitch made that hit me. The bible (as in the opening statement) tells us that sin is coveting and in their lame argument spins out all the rest of the sins. Then the Bible goes and states that you MUST covet thy (outside) neighbors cattle, you MUST covet their gold and riches, and you MUST covet their Women and virgins etc. THAT is the sole motivation for perpetuating the battles and wars and every other sick twisted story IN the bible. THAT is why there is no eleventh commandment to not rape. That is why there is no twelfth commandment not to take slaves, or that slavery is immoral. Stealing only applied to those in your group. Coveting only applied to those in your group etc. That makes so much sense as to why there is no commandment that a rational secularist would make that seems so obvious to the wellness of society as a whole. Never mind the stupid tap dancing apologetics that want to make Biblical slavery "indentured servitude", it is so obvious that to not harm you should NEVER under any circumstances own a fellow human being. Never mind that empathy is about all that is necessary to realize that if you do not want to be raped you should not rape anyone else either. This is the nail in the coffin for the ten commandments not being any sort of moral compass what so ever. It is simply a mandate and you are simply following arbitrary rules given to you. No morality necessary.
Thoughts?
"The only way you can be certain that there are good people in the world is to BE one".
-My mother

Morality is doing what is right, no matter what you are told.
Religion is doing what you are told, no matter what is right.

stromboli

Excellent. The dichotomies are the cognitive dissonance issues that are consistently ignored by the believers. A loving god that is jealous and vengeful, free my people from slavery and bondage so they can murder the inhabitants of another country and possess their land and wealth, put their babies to death and enslave their women; justifiable because god said so. The one sided coin of religion. The Civil War fought over slavery by two opposing armies that were virtually all white, all of European descent and each quoting from the same book to justify their stance.

And welcome back, dude. I missed you.

aitm

The worse role model by far, for the ten commandments, is the very author, who by his behavior, is the champion of them all.

and add my voice to: WELCOME BACK BD,,,Missed you!
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

baddogma

When did we get a like button.....lol
"The only way you can be certain that there are good people in the world is to BE one".
-My mother

baddogma

I need to change my avatar, I found out that that bone I'm holding isn't an adult humerus, it's a childs femur...D'OH!
-My mother

aitm

tha'ts humerous...D'oh!
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust